1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Oct 2008
  2. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, I'm buying this one and I can't believe that its so cheap for the PC version.

PC Gamer gave it a glowing review as well, 92% I think.

3. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Oh dear...here I am reading this at work when I should be working. Now the only thing I can think about is going to Game and picking this up....forget the projects awaiting completion.

A fantastically written review which makes me want to pack up, go home, lock the door, switch off the phone and fire up my pc :D

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

WOW a 9, looks ver impressive. I have been waiting for this ever since I first heard it was in production. I absolutely loved the first one and can't wait to get my hands on it. Alas, my up coming exams take priority, plus I have no HDD space left lol. I really like the idea of the health system, I can't wait to see it in action.

A very nice review guys. May I ask what the system specs for the game are?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

page 4 :)

6. The boy 4rm oz

Woops, missed it lol. Thanks.

7. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Nice review, guys! Is it just me or are the graphics not that great? I mean sure they look "good" but imo they lack something.
    It's this weird "paintet" style similar to what has been done in Oblivion, I was hoping they'd go for a more realistic aproach.

8. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Having skim read the review and not found anything, have bit-tech any comment on the DRM in the game, the in-game advertising and the use of browser history that I have been hearing reports about?

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

We don't have a comment about that to be honest. There is DRM, which we mention. You have five activations on three PC IIRC and you can automatically recall activations when uninstalling if you're connected to the net, or you can ring up Ubi. When Ubi stop supporting the game a patch will be released to address that. That's all very reasonable in our eyes, though we understand there are issues with people wanting to protect their systems and privacy - though that can never condone piracy.

As for the use of in-game advertising and browser history, that's not something we have heard a lot about or noticed in our time with the game. There's certainly not any huge billboards saying "VOTE OBAMA" that we saw in our time with the game.

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

well time to grab a copy of that on the xbox :D

11. The boy 4rm oz

That would be funny though haha. Subliminal...NOT!

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Cool review, royal mail should deliver my game today, come on RM :D

13. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

"The savannah is very brown after all, so driving cross-country can be a bit of a monotony. Then again, it’s clear that Ubi has tried its best to alleviate this and provide distractions on the way. There are plenty of diamonds to search for and collect and regular guard posts and safe houses to liberate from insurgents."
    It's interesting that you saw the regular guard posts as a positive side and not a drawn out hindrance that detracted from the game as gamespy did. They also didn't get the motive of the main character and found the story lacking. I'm wondering if they simply did not find a way around things as you did or just enjoyed things differently. If the game were as they say, "every couple of minutes you encounter a checkpoint that you'll have to shoot your way through or detour around. The first few times you blast through a checkpoint it's fun. After the fifth or sixth time you shoot up the same group of guys at the same checkpoint it gets stale. These encounters aren't tactically interesting and they usually play out the same way, every time." and with the added patrol vehicles, I'd probably find the game as tedious as they did. They ended up giving it 7/10. Were they just doing it wrong? (I hope so.)

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i assume you played the PC version joe
    did you not notice how the movement and especially the mouse movements are just wrong somehow?
    its more than the sensitivity is way too low (sensitivity bar maxed out and its still like mollasses...), its like theres some kind of weird acceleration funkiness turned on
    feels like im mousing with my left hand or something, makes the game extremely frustrating for me (and its not just me, i've spoken to a few other people who've played it and said the same thing)
    hopefully this is something that can be sorted by dicking with the config file (i did notice a smoothness="1" and ironsights_smoothness="1" in the config earlier, havent tested it yet)
    thats the only major issue i have with it though

the crap driving physics, insta respawning bad guy camps (at least you can just drive through them if you dont want to kill the same 5 guys the 10th time...) and africans in t-shirts that can take 30 rounds to the chest wouldnt bother me if it werent for the mouse thing :p

honestly i wouldnt give a 9, more like a 7 or even a 6 if it turns out the mouse thing isnt fixable

15. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I want, that is all

16. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

I was hoping for a more extensive run-down on graphical options... :(

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

They said in the article that that was coming in a performance review :D

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

PC version yes, but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The mouse was fine for me. I'm using a Razer Deathadder and I prefer a mid-sensitivity of around 800-1000 DPI and I found the sensitivity fine. In fact, I think I actually had to turn it down a notch. There's a difference between sesntiivity on the menus and in the game, that much I know - but I found the in-game performance was fine.

Are you sure you're pressing Accept on the menu when you turn up the sensitivity? Honestly, I had no problems, no issues, no borked gunshots or aiming. It was fine.

As for the regular checkpoints, yeah, I could see them as problem possibly. They are plentiful, so if you're trying to go somewhere quickly then they might slow you down. That said however, whenever I was in a rush I either just drove around them, ploughed through them with my jeep, or got the bus and fast-travelled across the map instead. When there are several ways to get around or ignore them then I don't really label them as a problem.

19. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Yep, it'll be my pleasure to benchmark the hell out of Far Cry 2 next week :D

20. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

What I need to know is if the DRM is preventing play after any or all of the Microsoft utilities Process Explorer, Process Monitor, File Monitor and Registry Monitor, have run on the same system.

This is currently preventing me from playing Crysis Warhead, and is really frustrating. In order to start the game, I'd have to restart my machine to clear out the kernel drivers. As a result, I have had Crysis Warhead here in its DVD packed for over a month and I have *still* not had the chance to play it - I need those utilities for work (software engineer) - restarting and starting up all my applications and setting up all the windows across all monitors "just so" would take too much time.

So that's my question: is the DRM as asinine as Crysis Warhead? If so, I'll pass, thanks. Burned once too many times.

Tags: Add Tags