1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Far Cry 4 pirates outed by FoV patch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Nov 2014.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Member

To be 100% fair, I've tracked the issue down to my Nostromo - unplug that and it works

Now to relearn how to play a game without one of the peripherals I bought specifically for gaming.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2014
  2. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Exactly. Similarly, I've used pirated software in the past (anyone remember the "warez" CDs that did the rounds in the late 90's?) but for some years now I've only used legit software. I find it's much better and I actually value what I use.

I know someone who thinks he's some kind of genius for being able to skank whatever software he wants from da torrentz. Films, games, utilities, OS, whatever - he's at it. He has the "best of everything", none of which is paid for of course.

For example, I like a bit of photography and I told him I use Lightroom (legit, paid for - about £50) for my image cataloguing and editing. His response was that he uses Photoshop (with all the bells & whistles, worth the best part of a grand) "because it's better" even though the chump literaly doesn't know one end of an image histogram from the other!

That sums it up for me. :)

Last edited: 23 Nov 2014
  3. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

But the point still remains... FC4 is the closest thing Ubi has to a flower child as of late.

Horrible PR, cocky, know-it-all stance. Add to that the oh-so promising Watch dogs( which still has a lot of potential IMO) and AssCreed? All of them screwed up. great graphics (WD the exception), but crappy optimization, half-assed code. A lot of talk of change, and their was a little, but none was for the better.

Ubi needs to stop shooting itself in it's foot. At this rate there won't be much of it left by 2015. :rolleyes:

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

Sounds like a random ubisoft employee thought he was smart when he found the correlation and tweeted before thinking about legitimate cases of someone not getting the day 1 patch, making an utter ass of himself.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

All my games are paid for and pretty much always have been. I value PC gaming a lot and find it annoying when people feel somehow entitled to not pay for games that they enjoy when they clearly took a huge amount of time, money and effort to create.

However, heavy handed DRM (which this is equivalent to) that often makes things difficult or causes problems for legitimate customers really doesn't help matters.

If anything it actually either encourages piracy or pushes people towards the simplicity of consoles. It very seldom proves a true challenge for those dedicated to not paying and almost exclusively serves to make PC gaming more difficult and less attractive.

Various services (including Steam and to an even more extreme extent, GOG) have shown the actual way to tackle piracy is to make legal methods as easy, fair, affordable and convenient as possible.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2014