1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion?

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Gimpy, 9 Jan 2005.

1. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

I was thinking earlier today while sitting around bored at work that I'm fashion obsessed. Looking good is just something that I feel is necisary. But I then proceeded to think, I don't fit the whole geek sterotype of guy who sits around playing games in your typical pair of jeans and t-shirt.

So I was wondering, who else here puts effort into looking good and keep up to date with trends and such? Am I a weird kind of geek by regualrly changing my hair style, spending hundreds of dollars on clothing that could have been spent on building a kick ass computer, and owning more then 5 facial products?

2. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

Me 2, im in no way a nerd, geek, whatever it is.... I got loads of £65-70 jeans that I cant justify and I use a ton of gel on my hair, its mad, but you have to look your best whatever your doing...

3. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I'm somewhere in the middle ground. I like to look as good as I can but there's no way I can justify spending $90 on a shirt or $150 on a pair of jeans. I have about 3or4 different hair products and twice as many "flavours" of eroderant (deoderant).

You can still look very good but you just have to be a little smarter in the way you spend your money. I'm not a label jockey but the clothes I buy are still quite acceptable.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

sometimes im fussed, sometimes im not tbh
    one day i may leave the house wearing a £550 hoodie, £200 trainers and £130 jeans, the next i may go out wearing tatty jeans (not fashionable tatty jeans, just old and tatty jeans) and tshirt from M&S :blah:

(and yes it does worry me that I own a £550 hoodie :worried: )

5. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Fashion what is this fashion,j/k. I dont go and buy 50 doller shirts, that just plain retarded. I will usualy ware my school shirt and a nice pair of jeans. My hair I dont just leave it as is, ill coam(SP?) it but when I use gel it eratates the hell out of me. Now a-days some fashions are just WRONG, the newest one here is people are buying 200 buck shirts that are turned inside out. Hell I can do that with the shirts I have now. Some people are just ****ing obsesed.

It doesnt matter what shirt you wore back then,or the shoe stye you had. What matters is what you learned. knowledge will get you into collage,looks wont.

6. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Does it help with spelling though? Regardless, knowledge and looks are not mutually exclusive.

7. iggy

iggy Minimodder

is the hoodie made from gold perchance?

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I'm the least fashionable person I know. I only mainly wear 3 colours (blue, black and grey) so it saves me having to choose what to wear in the morning. I don't use any hair products, heck I don't even own a comb (no need as I cut my own hair down to grade #.5).

As far as clothes go their are a few things I'd spend money on (decent jeans £30-40 range, caps, comfy shoes) but the rest I couldn't give a damn about. I'm not uber scruffy although many of my clothes are developing holes. I guess thats the price you pay of being a poor geek. To be honest I really find "fashion" boring I don't see the value in buying designer gear.

9. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Im semi-fashion oriented I suppose. I have my own style that looks good on me. I take a little from old schoold a little from new and it works for me. I buy the wal mart brand, And I haven't had anyone say anything. The only thing I can justify paying alot for is Some good shoes and what not. I use to care about brand but now I could careless. I do like to smell good tho, So you'll prolly find some of the more expensive Colonge's and Bodywash and aftershave in my cabinet. I try to buy nice hair product if I can afford it, If not it's ghetto brand until I can.

10. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hmmm

I don't believe I'm fashion at all.
    I do have some 'nicer' (and more expensive) clothes, but I'm way to picky to call them anything near fashionable.

For example: Jeans:
    I wear normal, blue jeans. They can't have any extra pockets on them, zippers where they don't belong, stupid colors that shouldn't be there, or anything else that just dosn't fit. But I will buy more expensive yeans (talking up to 125€, nothing more, as I'm not retarded (jk)). I just want jeans that fit really well, and look 'good'. Cheaper pants don't always seem to 'fit' perfectly. I just want it to look good with most of my other clothes either.

I really can't have t-shirts that only go with that pants, and otherwise aswell. I do have clothes thare are a bit more 'dressed' and other that are more 'street'.

I also own a pretty modern custume, its still the same basics but the little accents are just a bit more modern. And I own 1 (yes count it 1) of those snobby pullovers from Tommy (or ralph, there just the same). For oral examinations, cuz most teachers at my school are snobs. For others I wear a custome (no brand visable).

but other then that my clothes are : nice pants (between 50-125€), some t-shirt (up to 30€). And sometimes a shirt.. but I don't wear much shirts, but these can go to 80€ if their really nice.

Conclusion:
    Fashionable? No
    What then? Just my own style of clothes, that I stick by, but it did mature with me over the years. (now 19).

To be honest, I think its easier to follow the trends, then to stick by your own style. I tried to find a normal pants and a jacket last month. It took me forever to find a NORMAL pants.. but I did find one. And the jacket was even worse.. I found in all of ghent, just 1 (yes 1) normal jacket that I liked. Its just plain black, but does have some more recent accents (high ..uhm the thing that goes around your neck, and the same fabric around the middle and wrists). So its a nice jacket, but its hard to find one without a huge brand over it, or special stupid look features. This one just has a small brand (1/2" * 1/2"), on the entrace of the side pocket.

L

11. penski

penski BodMod

Most of the time I wear beggy-ish jeans (gone are my days of hugely baggy jeans) that actually fit at the ankle as opposed to dragging on the floor, a generic T shirt (or a BME one - www.bmeshop.com) and a hoody or jumper if its cold.

For work its smart trousers and a shirt or one of my suits if it is required...

I never used to care that much about clothing or labels...but my girlfriend is obsessed with fashion...so in the last two years I've picked up on it by association. I now own a few things that were quite expensive whereas before, I'd only spend a lot of money on a suit...

I'll still grab stuff from TK MAXX though :D

*n

12. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

What I wear depends on the mood I'm in. Normally it's a pair of blue baggies, a t-shirt, and a big black coat if I'm outside and it's cold (or a jumper if it's cold inside). When I go out it's normally just jeans and a t-shirt, or if I'm going to a rock club (a good one) a bit more 'goth', I.E black jeans, black T-shirt, ripped black shirt, etc.

For work I wear a shirt and tie, or just a shirt with an Outdoor Action top over it. Tis reasonably comfy.

13. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Girls p.o.v:

I havn't done fashion for a few years now. I cannot stand current fashions at all - I don't limit myself on what stores to shop from etc but my general style is far from the cowboy booted vintage couture current trend in the UK. I hate the current wave of colour - wtf is it with mustard yellow stiletto's and saggy red pleather 'clutch bags' - it mings! The masses need telling! :p :D

14. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Arent they great? Heh. So much useless junk you never knew you needed.

Fashion? What is fashion? Just some consumer driven junk that encourages you to buy a whole new set of clothes every year cod your old ones are "out". Please. My advice? Wear something unfashionable. It'll come back in eventually.

15. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i put my hand up---- i work for a clothess retail shop in oxford st in london and i gotta say that i spend a good amount on clothes and hair and facial products but iam noway as bad as some blokes that i have seen.

some men go overboard and spend ludacris amounts of money on stuff and shopping too much but there is always a fine line.

i enjoy wearing pink clothing (an no it aint a girly colour) and green items this up coming spring season but i always try and look out for the interesting types of clothing avail(topman is for the masses an has nothing interesting).

im lucky that i work for such a retail shop coz not many know about my company and dont realise that we have some good stuff even for blokes. and its nice to talk with girls about fashion coz then they kno that u aint the tipical bloke (football,cars,football,beer,boobies) and they even have a keen interest of knowing each other a bit more(hint hint).

p.s. my best mate is alot like some of u fellas on the forum as he has to prepair himself(mentally) for a week just to go out and buy some t-shirts ,he has no dress clothes just jeans and t-shirts and thats it.i tryed to help him but u cant teach a old dog new tricks.

16. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

Dont you love the inevitable individuals!!

17. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty fashion-aware, or whatever. I also own more than 5 facial products and wear nice clothes; not anything worth mentioning as I don't think that any of my clothes are really expensive, but I look nice for a 'computer geek'. My hair is the only thing that sucks right now and that's because it's too long to spike it up like I used to and too short to mess around with it how one of my friends wants me to (I'm growing it out so she can play with it)

18. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

hmm, i seem to have a uniform tbh. jeans, tshirt, trainers.

generally i just buy jeans that are comfortable. i dont care much about the label, but i find that my favourite 2 pairs atm are my airwalk (£60) and firetrap (£80) ones. i guess brands become well known because they actually make good clothes sometimes?

tshirts usually cost me £10-£20. generally from shitty highstreet (burton/topman) though you can find some pretty cool ones in java/cafe society (local independent stores afaik)

trainers are always 'skater' type ones. not that i ever go skating or anything... theyre just the most comfortable type of footwear i've found, plus they tend to go well with the lazy bum 'jeans and tshirt' look :)

so no, i dont follow fashion. i dont wear pastels, or huge white collars, or whatever it is the kids think are cool these days... i know a decent pair of jeans and a tshirt will never let me down

// and i'm cool enough as it is anyway ;)

19. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

Ok, I wouldn't say I have to spend hundreds of dollars on name brand clothing. You can wear fashinable clothing yet still spend little money on it. And I'd have to disagree with anyone whos says what you wear dosn't matter. For example and I know people will still argue it, just think about it, but if your walking down the street and you see a well dressed women and then a horribly dressed women that is hotter, but hides herself in outdated or just ugly clothing, your going to notice the other women. I'm sure women would agree it works vice versa for well dressed men. And look at the business world, keeping up to date with trends at least somewhat does show you mean business. If it looks like you can afford to live well, and buy nice clothing, then your going to be more influental. Money and power does matter even if we wish it didn't

20. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I don't get it. What did you mean by that?
    :blush:

L