1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fatal1ty AN9 32X watercooling advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronenbourg1664, 1 Sep 2006.

1. Kronenbourg1664

Kronenbourg1664 Minimodder

I've tried searching for anything on this but have had no luck yet, I intend to put the an9 into a pcv2000 (180deg flip on installation to standard cases) and was wondering if the heatpipes would be affected, if possible i want to remove both 40mm fans from the mobo (Or at least replace them with ultra quiet fans)

Also does anyone know of any waterblocks for the voltage regulator? I have seen one by aquacomputer but the mounting holes look different.

A picture for reference
    [​IMG]

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The heatpipes won't be affected (noticably) by turning it upside down, they can work against gravity quite happily.

If you want to ditch the 40mm fans, I'd suggest a Zalman mount thingy and a 120mm on silent, with a CPU waterblock. Might be easier than using a MOSFET block as well.

3. Kronenbourg1664

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that it should do the job nicely

Thank you

4. Krikkit

They're actually rather great - I've had one for years, and it's never failed me yet. Can be a little irritating to mount it though - it goes on the PCI slots, over everything else, so you have to take it off to change graphics card, etc.

5. Kronenbourg1664

Well i'm building an entire system from scratch so hopefully i won't be needing to remove it for some time. How much clearence do you get between the fan and the case?

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Uhm... the heatpipes don't work against gravity dude...

7. Kronenbourg1664

That's typical, I just did a quick search to try and find out how a heatpipe actually works and found this, the 3rd paragraph states that they are unafected by gravity.
    http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

8. Tulatin

The problem here is that both heatpipe based boards i have tried in an inverted case (Abit KN8-SLI and Asus P5B-D WAP) turned out having the chipsets at the top being BURNING hot, and the mofsets at the bottom being frosty cold. Usually with heatpipes, it's the other way. So how's that considered working?

9. Kronenbourg1664

Also, while i'm thinking about it with a dual core processor is it better to have 4x 512Mb or 2x 1Gb memory modules?

10. Krikkit

2*1GB - some boards have a wobbly with 4 sticks in, often the bus-speed is heavily reduced (dunno if this has changed, but that's how it was even on nF4...

11. Kronenbourg1664

If I do end up using one of the fan mounts mentioned earlier surely i'll just be able to redirect the flow over the higher end of the heatpipe

12. Tulatin

That wasn't due to the NF4, that was due to the design of the MCH of the K8 architecture. You can do 4*512 single bank ram on AMD, or 4*1GB on Intel, without ANY prob (done it)

13. Kronenbourg1664

would there be any performance gain in using 4 sticks? assuming they're all running at the same speed

14. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Iono but unless the wick in the heatpipe is a one way path then an upside down heatpipe will cause the wrong components to cool the most and others to be heated even more. Ditch them for WC or fans.

15. Krikkit

Or don't, as 99% of heatpipe solutions will have a wick system in them anyway - motherboard manufacturers aren't that stupid. You blatantly are.

16. Tulatin

Uh dude, he wasn't saying that they don't have a wick (which, judging by that page, is a neccessity for heavy heat loads), but he was saying that unless the tubes operate in only one direction, you end up with the heated liquids still rising, just to the wrong place.

The only thing i've heard of (and seen) that works amazingly in any freakin orientation are the "Heat Lane" dealies from Scythe

17. Krikkit

True, but with most heatpipe solutions it won't make much of a difference - if you have it in the traditional orientation you'll have the chipset heat rising through the pipe towards the MOSFETS, and upside down it'll just be the other way.
    Same heat, different movement, so it will probably just be the same.

Either way, it's a solution that needs some kind of airflow, they're designed to be cooled with the air coming off the CPU HS, so a 120mm on a bracket will do perfectly well tbh.

Not really cause to ditch them if you're WC'ing imho.

18. Kronenbourg1664

My interpretation of that is that it shouldn't matter where the heat is applied, also looking at some other heatsinks (ThermalRight Ultra-120, This page ) you can apply heat anywhere along the length so long as there is cooling at some point along the pipe itself.

So I think I've answered my own question here, but I shall be sticking with the slow 120mm fan to cool that down i think

Thank you for all your help

19. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Well by definition heatpipes transfer heat to the highest point as heat rises. So whatever comonent is located under the highest point of the heatpipe Will get heated by the Gaseous chemical in the heatpipe. Upside down this means that the nromally highest component with a HS will be the lowest. And the component without a heatsink will be on top.

The only way that a heatpipe could work upside down was if there was an active transfer from one end to the other. And being a sealed unit relying on the physical property that heat rises I doubt it has such a system to do so.

20. Krikkit

But heat is still being transferred from the components, into the heatpipe and then transferred through the heatsinks into the surrounding air, you won't get any heating of the upper component - it'll be hotter than the heatpipe and the thermal energy will flow into the cooling system, which should then be removed by the HS.

The cooling won't be as efficient on that component, but it's bound not to be anyway, something always has to be at the top, be it chipset or MOSFETS on these particular boards.

The upshot of it all is, there's no worry, especially if you have a 120mm cooling fan over the top of the lot, providing reasonable airflow. There's no need to ditch the pre-installed and effective cooling solution.

Tags: