1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Faulty GTX 460?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Uggers, 4 Oct 2010.

1. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

I'm having a few problems with my latest purchase. I recently got the 1GB Gigabyte GTX 460 after reading reviews and comment by people on here.

Unfortunately though, I seem to be seemingly having a few problems with it, however I am not 100% sure if I am starting to see problems where there aren't any or it sounds like a fault with the card.

For reference I am running:

• Core 2 Quad Q9550
    • Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP
    • x2 2gb Sticks of OCZ Ram
    • A 4 Week old Corsair TX650w Psu
    • 1GB Gigabyte GTX 460
    • Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Windows is up to date
    I have the latest Nvidia drivers (258.96) and the latest BIOS for the Graphics card (haven't flashed it was upto date on purchase)

This bit might not be relevant so I apologise but seeing as I recently did these changes while installed in the new card I thought I had better mention it.

I had noticed (and had it embarrassingly pointed out) that when I installed the Q9550 I had forgotten to reset the bios or adjust the FSB so I had woefully left the CPU underclocked.

When I received my new card I proceeded to reset the bios and let the CPU get up to stock speeds, Removed the graphics drivers from my old GTX 260, Installed an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and installed my new graphics card.

The ssd doesn't have a new install of windows I am using it for a gaming and apps drive only at the moment.

Right and now to the problems.

The card itself doesn't seem to run extra hot and seems to be about right for the benchmarks and other examples people have mentioned for it.
    However sometimes I see to have a whining fan. I cannot isolate it specifically but it seems to be on of the GPU ones, When I attempt to check the case to hunt it down It always seems to stop whining just as I look around, it must know I'm hunting for it :eyebrow:

The main problem per say is, when I boot into windows I often get a black screen after the 'Welcome' windows, It responds just as though the Monitor was on standby however the light on the monitor doesn't flick on and off as it does when it is.

A quick move of the mouse and I'd say about 10-30 seconds later and everything is running fine.
    Sometimes it won't happen, sometimes it will. This morning I saw the desktop briefly for 2 seconds before it went black then returned about 15 seconds later.
    This is more annoying than a big problem at the moment, But As it seems to progressively take longer to return to seeing the desktop I am slightly concerned I have a bigger issue slowly developing.

So basically does this sound like an issue with the Card? I have no spare monitor to test it, but I did test the monitor on another computer and it didn't have any issues.

Any advice or suggestion to try would be greatly appreciated.

2. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

I forgot to add,

Yesterday, I seemed to be having issues viewing fonts. I could well of just been totally knackered. But It looks partially Like someone had setup cleartype really badly. It seems ok this morning. But I swear something was up

3. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

OCCT (Overclock Checking Tool) has a couple of GPU tests.

Details below:

GPU:3D

Home-made test written in Direct3d that will make your GPU really hot - this test is similar to ATITool and Furmark (thanks to Furmark and JegX for his support and for the aborted partnership ;) )
    Will make your graphic card real hot - especially the GPU
    Has an error detection mode similar to ATITool
    SLI and Crossfire support (Just enable Fullscreen mode !)

GPU:Memtest

Again, Home-made test written in CUDA that'll launch a MemTest86 or MemTest86+ like test on your Graphic card memory and report any error found
    Requires a Nvidia Graphic Card, and a GeForce 8 or Higher !

You could install this and give it a try.

4. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice,

I ran both tests for about 2 hours each with no errors to report.