1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Fave all 70s-80s games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by numanoid, 9 May 2009.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

hi all
    just wondering to all the oldies out there whats your fave 70s or 80s game, i have a few

1- for the 48k spectrum its got to be elite, just picture this, me and a friend controling the keys, he moves the ship left and right, i move it up and down and fire the weapons, he controles the buying + selling lol, it was soooo crampt

2- was for the atari st which was called super sprint, sooo adictive, you drove f1 type cars,win races and buy yourself add ons, you ended up with a car you had no chance of controling lol

3- eas for the amiga which was prince of persia, jesus it was a hard game to play, again very adictive
    take care all

2. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

lol they take me back, i remember most of them lol, there was another one i used to play called boulder dash, that was pretty hard too lol, another one was called astroids, i loved that game
    thanks for that link m8
    take care

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Now i am getting old and dont know if it is the right era but

shadow of the beast
    Double dragon

i think they might of been 90's but if they are i apologise :)

5. numanoid

numanoid Modder

im not 100% but they might have been the late 80s, so its deffo the right era

6. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Head over heels. I wasn't even born when it was made, but it was my first introduction to games as a young kid. I still play the windows remake...

7. ChriX

ChriX ^

Some of my favourites:
    Donkey Kong, Tapper, Rainbow Islands, Robotron 2084, Defender, Pang, Galaga '88, Phoenix

8. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

ZX 16k=Tau Ceti
    ZX 48k=Arkanoid-Revenge of Doe
    ZX 128+=Turrican
    ZX 128+2=Zarkov
    ZX128+3=Bionic Commando

MAN, the games were original then. :sigh:

9. recklessrich

recklessrich We all know what a dremel is

BBC Micro - Colossal Cave (text only but the novelty of it had me hooked), Defender & Elite
    Atari ST - Populous & Oids (strange game, go on a rescue mission in an asteroids style ship, I don't remember it being very popular but I found it immensely additive)
    Oh, nearly forget Space Invaders which was the first computer game I played.

The graphics were naff by today's standards but as Jux_Zeil said there was more originality then. Perhaps the cost of bringing a game to market these days means developers take less risks. Or they might just have run out of ideas:(

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The Last Ninja, IK, Nodes of Yesod, Wizball, Leaderboard Golf.

Does anyone remember the program you ran to get a C1541 drive to sing "Daisy, Daisy.."?

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Got to be Elite, still got my copy sitting on the shelf behind me.

12. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Elite for the BBC B (which I still play when I can be arsed to get the beeb setup)
    Jetset Willy and Manic Miner on the Speccy 48k

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Amstrad

Dig Dug

[​IMG]

Acorn Electron

Chucky egg

[​IMG]

BBC

Frak

[​IMG]

They were class games back then and very difficult.

Also on the 386 I loved Commander Keen, had so much fun with that and found it so funny when he appeared in Wolfenstein 3D.

[​IMG]

Ah the Amiga days. (Was this the early 90's?)

Lemmings - Best platform wa the amiga, the PC version that came later was shockingly Bad

[​IMG]

Cannon Foder - This is a game id buy without hesitation if it came to Xbox live but must have mouse support :)

[​IMG]

Midnight Resitance - Was my fav 2 player side scrolling game before Streets of Rage came alone.

[​IMG]

Fire Power - Great 2 player action and even made an appearence on the 3DO. They need to remake this game.

[​IMG]

All those games are my favs from each of the platforms i had as a kid. They may have been one or more I equally enjoyed that have slipped my mind right now. But those above are what brought alot of joy and alot of family gaming memories. My mum and dad were very addicted to Chucky Egg and Frak.

I still believe games are so much easier these days compared to back then. Put it this way, I never finished any games on the Acorn, BBC or even the Amiga because they were that hard. However I have finished loads of games on current gen consoles and last gen consoles using the hardest difficulty.

Last edited: 10 May 2009
  14. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I started out on the ZX81, with the 16k expansion pack in 1982, aged around 9yrs old. The choice of games were limited, but you could buy magazines with games programs listed in Sinclair BASIC. I also made a few simple games myself too. My favourites on the ZX81 were:

Flight Simulator
    This was the start of my Flight Sim hobby, and I have had at least one flight sim on every platform since.

3D Monster Maze
    My mates and I used to have compos on this one to see who could live the longest.

London Bridge
    This was a game BASIC listing from one of the magazines, and my Dad tweaked it for me on the ZX81. One of the simplest games I have ever played, but it was great to think that my Dad had done this just for me. It was basically a bridge made of symbols, and you had to guess numbers. If you got the wrong numbers, the bridge would fall.

I then moved on to the ZX Spectrum, and progressed through the different versions, from the 16K version up until the +2 tape version. This was where my gaming hobby really kicked off. I owned hundreds of games for the speccie. Picking out favourites for this platform becomes tricky as I had loads of titles that would fall into this catagory. Here's a few:

Psion Flight Simulator
    Carrying on the interest from the ZX81

Gunship
    This was a great game, bit too easy to call a true flight sim, but I played this one to death.

Beach-Head
    Used to play this one when the mates were round for a laugh.

Tir Na Nog
    I used to love this game, but never fully got my head round it. To this day I never completed it.

Tau Ceti
    Deserves to be in the all time classics list tbh.

All this talk about the old stuff has made me want to raid the attic and dust off the speccie for some honest gaming fun:thumb::D

Last edited: 10 May 2009
  15. numanoid

numanoid Modder

lmao
    i remember the majority of those games,jesus they bring back memories, elite was my fave you had to put this thing ( not sure what it was called )onto the screen to read a code for you to punch into the keyboard to get started,
    i remember the zx 81 that was a wierd one lol little men moved around without there legs moving, yes i remember the magazines that had games for you to program into the zx 81 lol, it took days sometimes longer to program it and at the end of the week you try and play it but all you get is the old" error" message lol i nearly threw the thing out the window lol
    ohhh yes the memories

16. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

just for everyone who is missing elite or for those who have never tried it apparently a PC version is available here

17. numanoid

numanoid Modder

cheers for that Ryu_ookami
    ive just downloaded it, ill give it a play later
    take care m8

18. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

well when you do tell us if its any good :) as I kinda miss playing elite, I'll wanted to see if it was possible to get one of the big cargo ships so powerful that it could destroy one of the space stations except that the police vipers or what ever they were called were alway a pain.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

+1 Elite (BBC)

For a game designed for a, what, 32k computer it was truly astonishing and consumed much of my childhood.

20. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

Great game :thumb: