1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Anime

Discussion in 'General' started by Bentos, 12 Jan 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Speaking of FLCL, i just borrowed the OST 1 off a mate, man its soooo damn graet :D Trying to find a UK reseller with little luck on google :(

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

My all-time fave's got to be Trigun for a series, and G.i.t.S. for a film :D

3. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

yeh, youre right the FLCL soundtrack is really good, "the pillows" rock!

i did watch FLCL, and was really good. if anyone is in need of a short, fascinating, highly amusing animethen FLCL is the way to go.

and naruto is good, watched ep 66-67 last week, sooo very cool

4. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

has anybody else been dissapointed by blood: the last vampire? i was thinking it was gonna kick, being as how it's from the ghost in the shell peeps, but it was a load of CRAP!!!! i think its the only movie i've ever seen that made me feel like I had just wasted my life

5. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

Akira!

6. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

blood was a bit lacking in length, but it was very pretty and quite cool.

akira is very good, first anime film i watched iirc.

7. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

akira, a classic. i either saw it or ghost in the shell first, can't really remember

X is pretty good, it's got a lot of psychotic visuals in it
    (not as much as altered states, but that's not an anime)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2004
  8. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

FLCL, makes no sense at all, but good :) Although I have a strange need to hit someone with a guitar.

EDIT: Have you noticed how kinky FLCL is? Weird lot the Japanese!

9. vivid

vivid down in fraggle rock

a friend mentioned escaflowne to me a couple weeks ago, so ive managed to geta copy of the full series and im workin my way through it, only onto third episode though, but it looks very good so far

10. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

I've not seen the series, but the Escaflowne movie is pretty good. Not the stupid American dubbed version though, even if it does have some famous people doing the voices. Still sounds better in Japanese

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I havent seen the movie but ive seen the series and its very good. Gets a tad lovey and repatative in parts but overall its worth watching :thumb:

Ive had to watch FLCL 3 times; twice in english, once in japanese to FINALLY understand wtf is going on, but now it makes sence *finally*

Just finished plowing thru the first 9 episodes of gunslinger girl and that's also absolute quailty. Avaliable on fansub - no english lisence yet.

Now ive finished exams i'm gonna finally finish watcing RahXephon and then Last Exile before next week :D Only 43 episodes to go...

12. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

ok, im now back in the swing of uni, so that means i have time to sit and watch endless amounts of anime, yay!

FLCL is a tad hard to understand, ive watched it twice through both times in japanese, and i kinda have an idea of what went on. (and it is quite kinky)

Escaflowne: ive not seen this yet, but ive heard good things. i'll have to borrow the dvds from my mate.

Bindibadgi, is gunslinger girl worth watching? im tempted, as i am by a lot of the new animes that are available on fansub (avenger, full metal alchemist etc.) but im impatient, so having to wait for a new ep each week is horrible, i barely cope waiting for naruto! So is it really worth the effort?

i watched scrapped princess and didnt think much of it. full metal panic fumoffu was good, funny, bit of a nothingy story, liked the first series better though.

looking through my collection, i think i need something new to watch, im tempted to go old school and watch dominion tank police, and possibly video girl ai, not sure which, not seen either so...preferences anyone?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Youve got to watch FLCL in english dub, the dub is very good and makes a ton more sense.

Gunslinger Girl is *superb*. Just the kind of anime i like more or less. Its crazy - youve got 10-14 yr old girls wielding M4s and P90s blowing the **** outa stuff. :thumb: :D Its well animated and done in a kinda whitewashed way not full on vibrant colour. I'll get a screeny in a sec..

The general story is about these group of girls who have been in various accidents or unfortuante situations where they have been either close to killing themselves or been badly injured. All are orphans. Basically this "social welfare" group in italy "modifys" them with biomechanical parts (you dont see this, they looks like normal girls) so they get super strength, fitness and are more resistant to pain, but the downside is they arent gonna live very long and they have problems like memory loss - they're basically regarded as tools. Their "Gurdians" who train and take them on missions have different "parent" style relationships with their "tools" and it develops along those lines basically. Its up to ep9 now but you might want to wait 6 months for the rest to come out (what you dont know doesnt hurt u kinda thing) - i prefer to watch a series in 1 go, but ROD TV and this are killin me cause im always wanting the next one to come out.

http://www.bindibadgi.co.uk/NA/gunslingergirl_intro.avi

(16.3meg) Just the intro. Dont be put off by the music, i dont think its suits it - the out-tro music is even worse. I can post it cause afaik it hasnt been lisenced yet :)

fumoffu was just a "side series" (i love my "" dont i) and i dont think was meant to have been serious - it just played on the potential love between the main 2 characters.
    Ive yet to borrow scrapped princess, it looked good from what i read. Is it lovey or action or both?? Well animated??

Umm as for new stuff - ive got a few eps of:
    Tokyo underground
    Full metal alchemist (looks like it was set in the same place as trigun) people said its good, and as a chemist id probably nit pick the whole way thru though :D
    Getbackers
    Narutaru
    Planetes

Ive yet to see. Dunno bout anything "new" really..if u havent seen rahxephon - do so, its good, kinda like a newer eva. Or studio ghibli stuff if u like that kinda thing.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Jan 2004
  14. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

here goes...

will source the FLCL dvds from somewhere, may even purchase them.

will check out gunslinger girl, sounds like an interesting story (the link doesnt seem to be working)

fumoffu, well it was light hearted and funny, i laffed at the large teddy bear shooting people.

scrapped princess was good, bit slow, kinda .hack//sign slow but it got better. underlying lovey bit, nother strong, a bit of action, some strange twists confused me to bits. tis quite well animated, not my fave style, but good.

tokyo underground is cool, blatant love story, people with elemental powers, woooh.

getbackers is very good, and yes, they do get things back. people with very cool powers, a great bad guy in a hat, with a sword, he resembles a firend of mine, which is overly cool, but a tad scary.

Narutara, i havent at all looked at, might check it out. and i havent even heard of Planetes.

have got rahxephon, so will prob look at that, it has been recommended to me before, so i think i'll start watching that.

15. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Chobits
    GTO
    Initial D

hmmm dunno :)

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

My sites down it appears so the linky no worky atm, try again soon.

Just watching the last 2 eps of rahxephon now. Glad i bought the DVDs so i can watch the english cause im SOOOOOOO CONFUSED. It was great up to about no.12 then it went weird and i lost the plot almost completely. Too many sub-storylines and not enough explanation. Also, he goes for the 29 yr old woman, not the 14 yr old chick.. i mean, he's 17, so in 2 years she'll be 16 and he'll be 19 :naughty: :naughty:

Try dvdpacific.com or http://www.planetdvd.com.au/
    The advantage of aus is that they offer PAL encoding as well, but are region 4. Someone said they give better extras on the disks, but ive yet to confirm.

17. leon

leon What's a Dremel?

Oh, my first post, and I make it on the obligatory Fav Anime thread :hehe:
    So ello all!

I have to say Evangelion, as it was the first full series anime I watched. I watched it over a weekend pretty much and it messed with my mind.

After that I'd have to say Witch Hunter Robin (only half way through) and Outlaw Star.

There are others, most of which have been mentioned already.

I keep meaning to watch Noir, Akira (I know its a crime not having seen it but I've just not got round to it), along with a fair number of others. Oh and one day I suppose I really should get round to watching the last few eps of Cowboy Bebop.

18. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

ok, gonna try and find some other sites that i can buy the FLCL boxset from, as the 2 suggested by bindibadgi wont let me use a switch card. i would get a credit card, but atm there are far too many things i want but cant afford. a bit risky i think.

will try the link later, if not i'll dload an ep.

and as for choosing the older woman, well, maybe he just couldn't wait 2 years.

leon, noirs really cool, bit slow at first, but the atmosphere gets real intense towards the end, very cool soundtrack.

Eva is great. i heard from someone/where that a directors cut of the final 2 eps is being released, being that the orignals sucked, and the movies make better replacements, it should be good to see two better eps 25&26.

Witch hunter robin is cool, very pretty, mmmm prerendered backgrounds.

and WATCH THE LAST EPS OF COWBOY BEBOP!!!! :D

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It exlpained why in the end. It was a nice ending considering, although i had to go on the net and look up wtf was going on the last half of the series, but now ive done that it finally makes sense.

20. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

well after the past couple of days ive not been in the right state to sit and watch endless amounts of anime (mainly drunk i think). but sunday shall be full of rahxephon, just have to stock up on munchables and pro plus.

i shall let you know what i think of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.