1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FEAR - First thoughts and benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 8 Aug 2005.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

he did: http://www.coolercases.co.uk/images/FEAR/3_s.jpg
    and its not the same, that effect makes your shadow longer but it still appears on the floor, for him it appears to float in mid air in front of you :eeek:
    it does seem 7800's dont do the shadows quite right in this demo, probalby be fixed for full release :)

2. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

I've played the demo a few times now pausing to apply different settings and i must admit i got sort of used to the shadows and they do look OK ish sometimes but in others seem more annoying.

I speak as i find Stevedroid...

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I have legs!!

This is what I want to see in every FPS from now on. Valve have no excuse anymore, gorden freeman has just as much right as the next guy to own a pair of legs and a torso.

Loving the creepyness, I don't get scared by scifi easily (i'm a very cynical person) but this definately made me jump once or twice.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i really think it would be more appropriate to apoplogise now, as imo that accusation was pretty unjustified

what possible reason would an upstanding member of the community such as coolmiester have to fabricate something just for the sake of critisizing the game?

the shadow in the screenshot, to me, looks unrealistic. I know the effect of a body casting a larger shadow is real, but the ambient light from the surrounding area would light up the dark area more than that, as opposed to the shadow being completely black

one thing i was thinking actually, as opposed to being a floating head :D
    although in riddick its even better imo, the legs/movement etc

Last edited: 11 Aug 2005
  5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

6. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Yeah, cool effect, innit? I took over 100 screenshots for that article, but it was decided that much of it went too far beyond First Impressions. We'll revisit the different detail settings and shadow options in the review of the full game.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

the shadowing effect in relation to the character is as good as I have seen so far in any game

8. Prae

Prae What's a Dremel?

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Well, to be honest, this demo scared the beejesus out of me. There were parts where I could hear something behind me, but flat out refused to turn around. I know, chicken!!! But crap, this is gonna be one hell of a game. And for all you folks talking about 9800's not taking it, it worked fine on the rig in my sig, I just let it auto adjust the settings, and it played fine. Didn't look like it was using soft shadows, or any anti-aliasing, but it played smooth and still looked damn good.

10. Stevedroid

Stevedroid What's a Dremel?

No that screenshot is in one of the afore mentioned transitional areas. Second that is not a bug, it appears that way on my X800Xt. The reason that shadow looks as it does is because the particular light source in that shot is at the character's head level. It is mathematically accurate. Ifyou don't believe me I welcome you to duplicate it in real life.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2005
  11. Stevedroid

I believe it was justified by my own careful observations of each area in the demo. Let be known that I made no personal attacks, I merely believe that the particular scenario described is impossible and felt that such should be pointed out.

Because FEAR is an unapproven, but highly hyped title from a somewhat niche developer, people, even those who should know better, seem pre-disposed to be overly critical of the game. Meanwhile every review of Half-Life 2 or Doom 3 I've ever rather dubiously seem to gloss over any flaws in the game. Point being that people are biased by dozens of different factors that impare objective judgement. It is an unfortunate matter of psychology, I do not blame people for it, but that doesn't mean I will simply ignore it. Also I don't proclaim to be immune to said phenomenom myself. While I consider myself a reasonably intelligent and honest person, I will freely admit that I have fabricated or emblished the flaws of games in the past because I was predisposed to dislike them; Halo for example :)

What ambient light? It's underground and there are no other light sources in that particular area. A shadow from one focused light source will appear pitch black - ever play with shadow puppets as a child? Again if you distrust the accuracy of that shadow please stand in a dark room and hold up a lamp close behind your head and observe the real life results.

----edit----

So we can all get some perspective on this shadow issue beyond a static screenshots I recorded a short video. You may need DivX to see it.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=shadow7099

Hopefully you'll recognize that as I move up to and around the light, the shadow looks quite reaslitic and behaves as you would expect in real life.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2005
  12. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

u can swim in the demo. crouch in the water. its fun

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

by ambient light, i mean light reflected off the surrounding surfaces

14. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

I would REALLY love this game if it worked without freezing everytime an enemy was being loaded into the level.

Just for reference this happens on a:

AMD 64 3500+
    ASUS A8v Deluxe
    Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample (running at 6800 ultra speeds) AGP 8x
    1 GB Corsair Xtreme Low Latency (2x512mb matching pair) 2-2-2-5

:wallbash:

15. Stevedroid

Well please watch the video I posted and you'll see it's not pitch black. It's only pitch black on the farthest wall where there is little light.

16. MonkeySpank

MonkeySpank Banned

Just finished playing the demo. Awesome game and nearly Wet my pants at some parts. Cant wait for the full game to be released :thumb:

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Exactly... plus.. you can always turn it off.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2005
  18. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Specs are as follows;

Abit NF7-S v2.0,
    Duron 1.6 @ 200*10, 1.5v,
    Leadtek 6800GT AGP (400/900),
    Corsair TwinX-3200XL 1GB (2-2-2-5),
    Pair of 36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0.

I was running it, completely playable at 1024x768, w/ 4xAA and 8xAF. Graphics all on high, CPU all on maximum. Soft Shadows was turned off.

It looked awesome, and played smoothly.. very well. EXCEPT for, the loading pauses. Which are an annoyance, but I've had a poke about the net and there was something about defragging to improve this, so when I've backed up all the crap off my array, I shall be doing this and seeing what a difference it makes.

I know the Duron isn't helping. Benching to the equivellent of a 2200+, or thereabouts. Not exactly the best I could be using, and that's probably attributing to the loading pauses too. But, I'm still very impressed with the performance from a slightly sub-standard 6800GT, and an overclocked Duron. :rock:

As for the game itself though. That giggle, that stare.. that 'appearing' at the top of the stairs.

I. Nearly. Died. Such a good game, and I will definitely be buying a copy when my next student loan comes through! :D

19. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

not enough ram, defragging helps because it makes paging faster but the best way is more ram :p

20. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Man, this is bad when games are getting so RAM hungry that even a gig isn't enough. Anyone have a release date for the full game? Also, what's this I hear about a multiplayer demo?

Tags: Add Tags