1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Feeding Frenzy: November-11-2009 video card fan installed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Top Nurse, 23 Sep 2005.

1. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles

2. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Just looked at that... Those are 0.5m lengths... now it is made of "unobtainium", at least for what you want to use it for. I love the look of that wire you are using at the moment though TN. What are you planning to dye it to?

Laz

3. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

There are some advantages to using the black wire in that assembling the SATA connectors have less problems with cutting the wire. I think it has to do with the quality of the speaker wire insulation as opposed to hook up wire.

Thanks! I'm still trying to decide if clear silver or copper would look better. I did buy some scarlet and royal blue RIT dye the other day. It's a big decision as what ever I choose will be done the same way on the all the hard/optical drives including the PSU and video card looms. :lol:

4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Waste not... Want not Part 1

I am one of those people who scavenge just about anything that might be useful. For instance I had a piece of aluminum that came off the top of FF. Lately I had been using it to mix up epoxy, but figured it might be useful for another little side job I dreamed up. Started off the day by doing a bit of drilling.

[​IMG]

Finished up drilling a few holes and that odd looking thing is a heat sink that came out of an old PSU I junked. It even had some nice 3mm tapped holes that used to hold on the VR's. Decided to lop off a piece of it so it was more compact (forgot to take a pic of me huffing and puffing with a hacksaw). :dremel:

[​IMG]

Here you can see how this all works at this stage of the game.

[​IMG]

Time to drill a really big hole!

[​IMG]

After thinking about it I ditched the green clamps and used some C clamps instead as hole saws have notorious torsional issues on not so well held parts. :worried:

[​IMG]

5. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

oh your such a tease!!!!!
    the agony of waiting for another update

oh well

6. vils

vils What's a Dremel?

Are you building rc-planes too?

7. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Got to do something to liven the place up around here. :baby: Actually all will be apparent tomorrow after I do some Dremel work, some more drilling, and maybe even some tapping just for giggles. :cooldude:

Ahh actually I was at my brothers house and that model he is going to build (some day...) as it belonged to my father and he was an avid R/C and real pilot. I built a couple of planes myself when I was a lot younger. Let me think... one was a pattern plane with a K&B .60, a glider called a Windfree, and an Ugly Stick with a Super Tigre .40 They all had those radio's made down in Oceanside (Kraft?) on Technician band frequencies.

8. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Waste not... Want not Part 1A

Now you made me feel bad. :hehe:

So here is one just for you after I drilled some more holes and did some layout lines for cutting tomorrow.

[​IMG]

BTW, I think the 76mm hole saw I used fits a Aquatube almost perfectly. Hmm... a 4th Aquatube in that empty space on the MB tray?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2009
  9. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

A weekend away from the forum, and so much action.

This is looking good. Cant wait to see more ... I am wondering of how many loops you end up fitting into your build.

drbo :cooldude:

10. disturbed13

thats what im wondering :rock::thumb:

11. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Well actually I was thinking three was a lot, but then I started thinking I could hang an Aquatube and another Aquastream on the MB tray just to the left of the MB. Then I can cool the NB, SB, and VR's on a separate loop. The problem would be where to locate some more radiators, but I got some crazy ideas. :lol:

12. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

aside from the 'because i can' and the 'this is awesome' reasons (altough very valid ones)
    is there any other use of watercooling the nb,sb and vr's (in a seperate loop)?

13. disturbed13

the joys of modding :D

14. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Take them out in another loop to add an additional radiator an thus increase the cooling power of the system, and by doing so either increase the OC potential or lower the noise ... whatever her goal is.

But of course, mostly because she can (I belive) :thumb:

drbo :cooldude:

15. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

See below...actually it would have no practical use. My video card is currently cooled by a 360 sized radiator.

Just spent the whole day making a bracket. While your head is in the clouds and your needle file is busy the strangest thoughts come to me. Like what a waste of space on my MB tray. Now lets see what we can do to make it look a little more fun. :cooldude:

The reason for thinking about the 4th loop just came to me yesterday. And of course your right in that I may do it simply because I can and FF will just be a little more different. :lol::dremel:

Last edited: 10 Nov 2009
  16. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

:idea:

To think this whole project started out on a simple one loop system. :waah:

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Waste not... Want not Part 2

When I cut that hole I was looking at a fan guard because I thought I left the fan at home which I had salvaged from an AMD CPU cooler. After putting in the hole I saw the fan where it was hiding and just about crapped because it fell through the hole I just made. :wallbash:

So on the way home I figured out that the fan guards I had were 80mm. Now I started sweating as I remembered throwing out a bunch of 80mm fans a few months ago. But then I remembered I had saved some fans I got from PCP&C. :D

Well I got home and found the PCP&C Silencer fans but they were only two wire fans. :wallbash: This is not going to work... So I rummaged around some more and came across a pair of Accoustifan's from Feeding Frenzy Interlude. This should work great as they are extremely quiet and run at very slow speeds. One little problem here in that I don't like having fan names blaring out in my builds, especially when you need to put them upside down.

[​IMG]

So what to do? Decided to lap the name off the metal. Set up my indoor lapping station after doing a bunch of dishes to clean up the place a bit. For what I am doing the top of the counter top should work just fine.

[​IMG]

Here is after a few passes through some 800 grit wet & dry. Decided this wasn't going fast enough and dropped down to 400 grit.

[​IMG]

I finished off the piece with 1500 grit (400, 800, 1000, and 1500) and this is what ya get.

[​IMG]

Here is the finished metal bracket. Used the jig saw (not so fun), a Dremel cut-off saw, as well as numerous filing tools.

[​IMG]

And here we are with the fan mounted with the fan guard. BTW, for those really observant there was a fan grill in the pic when I was getting ready to use the hole saw.

[​IMG]

A side view with the button head socket cap screws and nuts.

[​IMG]

And of course the back side view.

[​IMG]

I will install this in the case tomorrow as it is time to lay back and count silver blocks. Zzzzzz...

18. vils

vils What's a Dremel?

Lapping the sticker was an brilliant idea, look real neat.

19. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

It's the little details that make modding fun isn't it? Was just reusing a NTC thermistor and it was working out real good and then all of a sudden it quit working. :waah:

Took it out and saw that the the sensor which was bent when I put it in had broken off at the bend line. So I figure I can strip off the sleeving and put it on a new sensor. The sensor will help create a negative feedback loop (with the Aquaero) so that this fan will keep my part cooled off.

20. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Waste not... Want not Part 3

As I mentioned earlier I needed to attach a standard NTC thermistor to my video card's VR heatsink. Since I am water cooling only the GPU the VR gets a tad bit hot (I measure 60-65 C) and the RAM sinks are almost as hot by touch. So the following pic shows where I attached the thermistor to. It is located between the outboard side of the VR sink and one of the VR sink attachment pins.

[​IMG]

Fortunately I made this fan mount modular otherwise it would have been interesting drilling the holes.

[​IMG]

Here is the fan mounted into the case where it should blow on both the VR and Ram sinks. On the right side of the pic you can see the aluminum tape I used to secure the thermistor to the VR sink.

[​IMG]

Bottom view as seen below the video card. Time to get busy on wiring in the fan. :sigh:

[​IMG]

I used a zip tie to mount the temp sensor wire (the sleeved part) to the video card. One of those big power connectors that goes into the board looks good. No worries about the thermistor pulling out. :D

[​IMG]