1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Fender Music Master

Discussion in 'General' started by tranc3, 27 Jun 2009.

1. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    SO, step dad picked this up at the flea market for $75, i thought it was a nice guitar, I've seen music masters on ebay for around $1,200, wondering if any one has any info or year of this guitar I think it may be from around the 60s/70s? I've been playing with guitars for a little bit, thinking about starting to play/learn more.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its prettyyyy!

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Oh for sure, they had it on the front porch in the case, not saying any thing other then "go look in that case" i was shocked to see this in there needless to say.

4. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Is it full size?

5. SJH

SJH Active Member

There should be a serial number on the back of the neck or headstock somewhere. If this isn't the case, unscrewing the neck from the body should reveal it.

Once you've got the serial number, you can check the age of the guitar and the country of manufacture using this lookup tool.

Good find, no matter how old it is though!

6. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I'm not sure? i think its a "3/4th" scale (could be wrong) the music master and the mustang had kinda short necks? 22-24 frets?

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

nice guitar, there should be a serial number either on the neck (if you take it off).

i would personally keep it.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

+1

Very usful site. ID'd my Fender neck for me when I sold it.

9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Yea there is a number, I'll look it up and post the info here when i find out!

10. V8Jay

V8Jay New Member

If I was to guess the year, I'd say it was around a 68-76 most likely in the early 70's region, its definitely after 64 as this is when they put the controls on a separate plate on the pick guard, and after 68 as the logo is a CBS 70's style logo.

they were made right up until 1982.

amazing value at $75 though!

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

look up tool claims its a 1959, I dont think we'll be selling it, not as long as i have a say in it.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's still not as good value as my Squier. :p

But that thing must be worth loads.

13. Coldon

Coldon New Member

if you removed the neck, I'd recommend sending the guitar in for a service, they'll need to set the action and intonation for you again. Actually seeing as its that old and just been sitting around a service wont be a bad idea.

Man, that is still a gem of a find, its worth a ton! Personally I'd try sell it and get me a nice LTD guitar + peavey 6505 stack for the money (then again i'm into heavier stuff and fenders aren't suited to that style, but for soft and melodic rock, fenders are awesome. I'd love to hear what the guitar sounds like...

14. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Well its not exactly mine, its his but I'm sure He wouldn't mind me messing with it. don't have an amp at the moment, but i can play it threw the computer if he lets me use it.. and if i do I'll record it, what little talent i have.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Tell him you'll give him 100 quid for it and buy it...
    It's a beauty. Real rare find, and an absolute bargain, provided the neck isn't warped beyond adjustment and the body/electronics are in good nick.
    that's even cooler than my 1973 Gibson ES335 Knockoff that i got as a present... which sounds and plays like a gibson, but is unlabeled

16. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Seems its been played recent when i was looking at it it was fairly tuned and had new strings on it. 1973 unlabeled Gibson sounds like it would look awesome, any photos of that one?and btw thanks every one who helped me find information on this.

17. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

That looks nice, although not sure how playable it would be at 3/4? Either way, it looks like you got a bargain!

I once read a forum story about a guy who found a 1960s genuine Gibson ES335 in his grandfather's attic or somewhere. Those things are worth a fortune now, £10k + in some cases!

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The ES335 only started in '58 IIRC so that would be a bloody expensive guitar.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Well, it isn't actually a gibson... it's a copy of an ES335 that was bought in 1974.
    it had DiMarzio's put into it in the late 80's... that's all i know about the guitar... there's no serials i could see, no branding anywhere (save the "DiMarzio powered" sticker that the original owner put on the headstock, but there's nothing under that either).
    I also know it cost somewhere over 1000DM (back then that was a loooot of money).

so yeah... the puzzle is yet unanswered.

I am hoping to get time to sort out the machineheads, replace the nut, fix the bridge up (missing a spring, silly bigsby system) and rewire all electronics at some point in the future... maybe then i can find some hint of what it is inside the body....

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I was talking about Tomm's post but a good ES335 copy is always nice.

Tags: