1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Few From the Lake

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Vers, 13 May 2009.

1. Vers

Vers ...

I've been spending a lot of time at the local lake attempting to shoot a pair of nesting Eagles but since they seem avoid me at all costs it leaves me to finding other subjects...here are a few of them.
    Tufted Titmouse
    [​IMG]

Red-Bellied Woodpecker
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown-Headed Cowbird
    [​IMG]

Gold Finch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gray Catbird
    [​IMG]

Mink eating a Northern Water Snake: I was in the middle of sneaking up on a flock of sandpipers when this guy/gal came running up the bank directly at me with the snake wrapped around it's entire body. It was so busy wrestling the snake it didn't even realize I was kneeling 10' away from it--at least until this shot, which was the last before it took off with it's catch into a pile of kindling. Just goes to show how important a zoom is when shooting wildlife...this was shot at 150mm.
    [​IMG]

-Matt

2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I'm always amazed at the colours your birds display, so used to the browns, greys and blacks of ours. That Mink shot is simply stunning, excellent capture

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I like the shot of the tit and the second shot of the pecker as well as the second shot of the gold finch. :)

Last edited: 13 May 2009
  4. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

That mink shot is really epic.

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Good ones again Vers, the mink was in it's own league though.

Darkened

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

That comment could be applied to a very different type of shoot. :hehe: You just needed to mention minky for the the full set.

In seriousness, those are some stunning shots, especially the mink, and make me regret all the more selling all my lenses. One day I'll buy them back when I can afford it again. If I'd pick at one thing, I'd bring the highlights down in the flower surrounding the mink; the yellows are quite in your face compared to the main subject.

7. Vers

Vers ...

Thanks for the comments fellas :)

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Loving all of these (as usual), especially the mink :) Also loving the great names the birds have and how different your goldfinches are to ours.

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I love how the birds are in such stark contrast with their surroundings via both colour and focus, those photos are great.

The mink photo is awesome, you really capitalised on a great opportunity with that one. :)