1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple few g3 Q

Discussion in 'Software' started by Samurai75007, 6 Dec 2005.

1. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

Well then, hello...

I am thinking of getting an imac G3 laptop for something to carry to college for cheep but I have a few questions. 1. Can I run osx (current) if I upgrade the hard drive and ram? 2. How much ram can I put in it? 3. Would wireless internet be an option? 4. Is there a file share program that works?

Thanks all.

2. simon_C

simon_C Member

1. yes: even without doing the upgrades. though ram is a good idea to get up past 512mb

2. depends on the model

3. yes, the new powerbooks and all ibooks have slots for an airport or airport extreme. though the former is getting harder to find now.

4. yes, its called acquisition

3. phantomxc

phantomxc New Member

I wouldn't get an G3 ibook anymore anyways. even if its in mint condition. If its past the 3 year mark it wont qualify for the "extended warranty" alot of the older G3 Ibooks have logic board/video issues and thats a flat fee of like $450 to repair. (which it has to be shipped to apple) and i will repeat on the airport for you. we dont sell the older airport cards anymore. most likely will have to buy a used one.

4. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Murdoc's g3 ibook got replaced for free (afaik?) by apple when his logic board died t'other day.

The airport cards are hard to find, and expensive when you do (mainly on ebay). Murdoc (again!) found a replacement card you can use, a sony something or other, but thats pretty hard to find too.

You'll want something 500mhz or more if you want to watch any divx / mpeg movies, but the slower ones would be fine for work / msn / internet etc. Ram is easy to update, but you will basically have to strip the entire ibook down to upgrade the hard drive. I dont think you can get more than ~ 640mb in the older ibooks? 128 + max of 512mb in the spare slot? Might be wrong on that one though.

5. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Drum roll.....

It's me!(again)

My ibook died while I was 600meters away from one of 2 Apple stores in europe, took it in an hour later, they took it off me on friday night, got it back tuesday. Even fixed my dodgy catch. All for free, the invoice did read £438.00 though.

The card you want is a SONY PCWA - C150S

'doc

6. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

Hmmm, thanks for all the info... I lost my job last Wednesday but I am close to getting another. If I get this it should be paying me almost two time's more then the old one so I can get a new I book I also have some computer part's that I have that include the Intel HT EE 3.73 p4 that's worth the price of the laptop anyway +some. So we will see what goes on but thanks for the help.

7. phantomxc

phantomxc New Member

And the only reason Murdoc probably got his computer fixed is because it was within 3 years of the purchase date. Apple extended the warranty on the I book G3 with video/logicboard issues to 3 years.

8. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Correct, I have 11months left.

'doc

Tags: