1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Fibre Board Construction Advice Please

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Grimloon, 30 Sep 2011.

1. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm finally getting around to building a case and, as I'm generally skint, I'm using the materials I have to hand for the main part. In this case it happens to be about 3.5 square metres of dark oak laminate flooring, bits and bobs of thin brass sheet, some 1/2" brass angle and an old leather jacket. The design resides both in my head and on the back of about half a dozen old envelopes so please excuse if I don't share it just yet as I still haven't finalised all of the details, just dimensions, general appearance and what is going in it - both now and in the future as it's going to take my current Q6600 system but be upgraded to a silly speed water cooled rig eventually. Space is not going to be an issue!

What I'm stuck on is the exact construction method as I've never used any kind of fibre board before and, while I have found out that the stuff is pretty durable, I'm not sure of its other characteristics. It isn't MDF or chipboard, it appears to be somewhere between the two. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not I need to take in to account resonance, need to reinforce screw holes or stay a particular minimum distance from edges etc? All fans are going to be mounted with a dampening grommet but will I need to isolate the panels as well or will just a metric **** ton of screws attaching it to the wooden frame do the job? The brass involved is for trim and attaching the leather by the way, it isn't strong enough (nor am I in any way good enough at metalwork) to be structural.

Any advice will be gratefully received as I've never worked with anything vaguely resembling this stuff before. Simple (and cheap!) solutions particularly favoured as at the moment I only need to buy 3 140mm fans, some brass mesh, a brass piano hinge and a bucket load of 5/8" brass wood screws (and maybe some glass look acrylic, brass and copper foil for aesthetics. I'm mulling over a side window design with interlocking cogs made from overlaid copper and brass foil stuck to the inside of it as well as a few amber LEDs for lighting. That bit is definitely only in the conceptual stages though. I'd have started by now if it wasn't for all the "But what if I"s whizzing around in my noggin!)