1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding fibre optic question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ido, 1 Aug 2003.

1. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

I'm just about to do the fibre optic mod to my drives, but I was wondering if you guys still use a 3mm LED for the drive when you change the color. It seems damn near impossible to perfectly drill a hole from the top on a 3mm one. Do you guys switch to a 5mm LED? If not, any tips on drilling precisely?

2. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Personally, I just left the little bit of plastic in the drive front, which is much bigger for lining up teh optical cable. :D

Switching to a 5mm would be fine, it's a matter of will it fit. And that the 5mm may give off to wide an angle and light the area to much. Otherwise drill very, very slowly. ;) If you've got a little hand/hobby drill that works very well.

Though I never changed mine, as my burner came with a blue one :D and my DVD drive has no LED. I don't know how it lights up, there isn't an LED or SMD there either. The piece of plastic goes to a blob of solder that somehow emits orange light. :worried:

Meh. :p

3. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

photo of the blob of solder :D

4. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

If you think I'm pulling my computer apart for that, your dreaming. It's hidden behind everything, screwd in and I ahve to remove so much just to get it out. I think not.

But I can help you.

Imagine this :

A piece of green PCB, then imagine some tracks running on it, now imagine a blob of solder on one of those tracks.

:D

:p