1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows File system/partition problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anator, 26 Sep 2005.

1. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Not really sure what section this should go under so ill put it here.

Ive had a dodgy psu on my second pc for about a week now, green power light didnt come on when i started it up so im guessing that one of the lines it was giving wasnt quite right. (It still got into windows.. sometimes)

Last night i switched it on, it got to the desktop and just went dead. I changed the psu out, fired it up and now it doesnt get past the xp pre-boot screen and flashes me a blue screen and restarts. After checking the other components i thought id go for an xp repair from the cd, only to find that my main partition now reads as an unknown file system.

Is there any way i can repair this problem without losing data or somehow pull the data off the harddisk?

Cheers
    /A

2. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

p.s im not that bothered about saving the windows install, i just want to pull some files off there then i can format/re-partition and what have you

3. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Someone must have an idea on this ??? ;(

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There's loads of programs that claim to recover data, mend broken partitions, etc. Moving thread to Software, someone may have personal recommendations.

5. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Well you could try installing windows XP over the current XP installation, this will make most of your programs un-usable but you will be able to get your data back. If you have another HD you can use Ontrack EasyRecovery, load winXP on the other HD and then install EasyRecovery. I found this is one of the best programs to get data from troublesome partitions.

6. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

The current windows installation doesnt appear, thats the problem - and it asks to format the hard disk.

Tonight i put the disk into my own machine as a slave its all fine - i can read and pull whatever files off i want. There is clearly something wrong with the windows install, but I dont know how to fix it >_<

7. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Lol, all that was required was a full surface scan from the recovery console. Pathetic really lmao. I guess i got thrown by windows not recognising the partition lol.

Microsoft for teh bin :wallbash:

Tags: