1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Film/DVD/Bluray Cataloguing Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by MadGinga, 8 Jan 2018.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hi Bi-Techers,

Looking for advice on cataloguing my dvd/bluray/film collection.
    Currently I have an excel list, but this is exceedingly out of date.
    My choices, as far as I can tell:
    • update excel list
    • resort to list in word
    • bespoke database
    • some free/paid for software
    Anyone have any experience/suggestions/guidance?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Plex...

Cobble together something in .net core or similar [would sort of come under 'bespoke db'].

3. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I suppose it depends on the size of each collection as Excel does work reasonably well and you have the option of easily exporting in csv format to load into flat file databases with relative ease.

I still use Access for my book collection although it started off with less than 200 books over 30 years ago in a ZX Spectrum VuFile and now is just over 3000 books but it's mainly overkill as I still use it as a relatively simple flat file rather than relational database and export to csv to load into the Sailforms (Android) database for use on my phones so I have quick access to my library contents when out and about. I do like the reporting features available in Access so I can have various reports easily available.

I use 'Karen's Directory Printer' to analyse and report on my DVD collection directly from the storage disc(s) on the network and convert to csv format via Excel to load into Sailforms.

I think the version of Sailforms I'm using cost around £12 but I think it's closer to £18 now.

5. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

I've been using Data Crow (http://www.datacrow.net/) for years now. If you already have a list of title you can import it and it will then go off and get all the extra info like covers, actors etc from IMDB or Amazon. You can add your music games/software, books and create your own modules for anything else you might want to add.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i use media companion works a treat. just make sure you get the 64-bit one.

does films and TV and its all free :)

7. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Plex definitely. My film libary alone is 1316 films and 99% of them were automatically indexed, thumbnails/posters/descriptions etc all downloaded.

Renaming the files to a standard that Plex can index helps a lot too, Filebot is your friend here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/filebot/

8. MadGinga

Plex is great for serving movies but would require me ripping my entire DVD collection to be used as a "list".

Looked promising, but at £13.95 for the app, and then £39.95 for the PC software (if I want to store more than 50) - thats a bit steep. Not to mention issues I have with it and all the other apps I've tried.

Dont have the time to bespoke anything, in the past I would've jumped at the bespoke DB, but far too much effort, and I wouldnt want to have to remember to copy it to my phone regularly.

They seem competent - will give them a spin.

I think my "requirements" may have evolved, or just refined...

Ideally I want a "solution" that:
    a) is PC-based (web access is fine) AND phone based, ideally an app so i don't require web access on the go.
    b) Single app/web that allows multiple libraries/collections - i.e. films, books, music, etc.
    c) barcode scanning for ease of input
    d) BUT i dont want to be listed as a specific iteration/release, just list it as the film; sames goes for boxsets, i dont care if its the Ultimate Collection, i want to just add all the contained films to the list (and maybe reference that they came/are in a collection).
    e) search by barcode
    f) if you try and enter a duplicate it flags it/inhibits it

Best I've found is Libib, meets a, b, & c - but fails at d & e; but kinda meets f, but not to my liking - it just asks if you want to add a copy.

It also doesn't pull down the age classification for films;

BUT as far as I can tell, no app does d, e or f (to my liking).
    Not to mention, most of them look like sh*t.

Apps i've tried:
    Collectorz (moveis, books, music)
    Libib
    Movie Collection
    Movie Collection & Inventory

Any other suggestions? Or am i going to have to compromise?

9. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Just to check do you actually want it to be able to play the media, or just create a database of all your physical media?

10. MadGinga

Just an inventory/database/list.