Windows Film/DVD/Bluray Cataloguing Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by MadGinga, 8 Jan 2018.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hi Bi-Techers,

Looking for advice on cataloguing my dvd/bluray/film collection.
    Currently I have an excel list, but this is exceedingly out of date.
    My choices, as far as I can tell:
    • update excel list
    • resort to list in word
    • bespoke database
    • some free/paid for software
    Anyone have any experience/suggestions/guidance?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Plex...

Cobble together something in .net core or similar [would sort of come under 'bespoke db'].

3. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Member

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I suppose it depends on the size of each collection as Excel does work reasonably well and you have the option of easily exporting in csv format to load into flat file databases with relative ease.

I still use Access for my book collection although it started off with less than 200 books over 30 years ago in a ZX Spectrum VuFile and now is just over 3000 books but it's mainly overkill as I still use it as a relatively simple flat file rather than relational database and export to csv to load into the Sailforms (Android) database for use on my phones so I have quick access to my library contents when out and about. I do like the reporting features available in Access so I can have various reports easily available.

I use 'Karen's Directory Printer' to analyse and report on my DVD collection directly from the storage disc(s) on the network and convert to csv format via Excel to load into Sailforms.

I think the version of Sailforms I'm using cost around £12 but I think it's closer to £18 now.

5. onemaddude

onemaddude Member

I've been using Data Crow (http://www.datacrow.net/) for years now. If you already have a list of title you can import it and it will then go off and get all the extra info like covers, actors etc from IMDB or Amazon. You can add your music games/software, books and create your own modules for anything else you might want to add.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i use media companion works a treat. just make sure you get the 64-bit one.

does films and TV and its all free :)