1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Final change... Which PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 15 Feb 2013.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

The Be quiet E9 Series are great also, but once I realised there wasn't much saving in having gold rated, I'd be happy with one of the L7 range. Whisper quiet, you can't even tell it's on.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Really? I thought that dual 580s needed more than that! (Not that I'm planning dual 580s) I'll look into those however (both Be Quiets)

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

580s are much more power hungry than new cards like 680s so it's a worst case scenario, but anyway my single 580 core i5 OCed system pulled about 400w at load (or perhaps just over 400). I reckon 2 580s will be under 650W for sure.

4. GeorgeK

So say for example you needed 650W and if you had an 85% efficient PSU you would need 764W to produce those 650W... I'm definitely going for an 850W PSU or higher - just need to decide which one (well I need to find time to sit down and think first...)

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Correct, but power supplies are rated according to their DC output, not AC input.

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah it doesn't work like that fortunately for us!

7. GeorgeK

Oh well... Might have found the answer to my question here

Edit: It is huge though... Will have to have a little measure in my case...

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This is a bargain for the price. Clicky

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. GeorgeK

Thanks again for the suggestion TG - I might finally have some time this afternoon / evening to properly sit down and compare my options, read through some reviews on JG and actually come to a decision!

Just a quick question before I get to that however - does anyone have opinions on XFX PSUs? I'm not sure I like the styling myself but they do keep cropping up when I'm looking...

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I wouldn't use them. I've never owned anything from XFX and that is down to the fact that I often see their name being dragged through the mud online. Usually for GPUs admittedly, but stick to the brands you know and trust is my motto.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2013
  11. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Current XFX PSU are made by Seasonic and get very good reviews on JonnyGuru. I have the 650w Pro XFX in my rig currently, being replaced later today by the Seasonic X1050w.

My only complaint about the XFX is that it isn't modular, but then they do modular versions and I should have stumped up the extra at the time. Cable management wasn't such an issue then as I was using an original CM Stacker. Having changed to a Silverstone FT02 has altered that priority.

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

XFX power supplies are all manufactured by Seasonic, so their quality is excellent. I've heard bad things about XFX's customer service though, which is probably why they aren't rated very high.

edit: Too slow! :p

13. GeorgeK

Thanks for the quick responses! I assumed they were made by someone good to be rated highly...

I'm tempted by the Seasonic but the length is putting me off. I would be certain about it if it were ~10-15mm shorter. I have a case fan in the bottom of my case that feeds a goodly amount of air to my graphics card and that would probably have to come out if I did go for it.

For a minute I read that as FT03 and thought "good luck fitting a 190mm PSU into that!" :hehe: :duh:

14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Fyi I have a mate in the USA that is one of the techs on the official XFX technical help forum and he warned me against buying XFX stuff now

fuus and YEHBABY like this.
  15. GeorgeK

I'll bear that in mind...