1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Final Choice for Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jokaz, 2 Sep 2009.

1. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

Well its almost time for me to order my bits for my i7 build - finally got enough money together to be able to get my preferred monitor HP2475W only thing I'm still not 100% on is the case.

My original choice was to go for an Akasa Omega with a couple of extra fans to improve cooling.

Then I was swayed towards the Antec 1200 but its a bit on the big side.

I also quite like the look of the Armoursuit PC-P50 - however the one thing putting me off is the cost of adding an additional fan for cooling as it will need to be housed in a new hard drive cage - EX332N although I'm having trouble finding a source for them or is the stock cooling sufficient.

Any thoughts

Thanks in advance

2. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

3. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

You could go for the HAF 922 as well which is the mid size tower of the HAF 932, I got that for my friends i7 build which I helped him build. It seems a good case and seems to cool well from what ive seen via HWmonitor

4. monkeytennis

monkeytennis What's a Dremel?

I will soon be buying a case for an i7 build and have chosen the Antec 1200 over the Haf932. There are a couple of good video reviews on YouTube if that helps.

5. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

To be honest I find the HAF 932/922 cases ugly and prefer something very plain and understated - but airflow and cooling are important too - and quietness.
    Not asking much am I :D

Even if the case is partially hidden under my desk I don't want it sticking out like a sore thumb.

6. monkeytennis

monkeytennis What's a Dremel?

You spurred me on into getting my case, which I have just ordered. Along with the Antec CP850w PSU. I know its a big case but the airflow should be excellent.

7. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

The Lian Li case is pretty but has it got good airflow? The Antec 1200 case is big and loud but has room for upgrades and enough cooling for pretty much any standard PC imaginable. And in my opinion is very stylish and easy on the eye.

8. Eddieboi

I didnt think the HAF 932/922 cases where ugly but everyone has their preferences :p

9. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

I agree to that Eddieboi, whats your opinion on he Antec series of cases 300-1200?

10. Eddieboi

Well I dont know about older antec cases aka 300 etc but I did and do sitll own a Antec 1200 case, I quite liked it, found it easy to use in terms of installing the HDDs or removing the internal HDD cases that are in there.

Fans are a tad loud when on full power, heck my yate loon arnt as loud as the antec 1200 fans when on full blast lol

Its a good case for air cooling in my opinion I had pretty good temps even with a Sapphire HD4870x2 but damn that fan was loud on the gpu! Hence why I went watercooling as I cant stand the fan noise lol

Overall the case is nice, nice air cooling...ok maybe its not the best looking case but it looks fine to me I quite liked it, and plus its nicely designed for some good ole cable management, especially as the last thing you wanna see through that side panel are a loud of messy wires!

11. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Agree totally.​

12. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

If you have ?170 to spend on a case have to agree with above the Lian Li PC-A71 is a lovely case, with excellent air flow, otherwise an Antec 1200 is decent, must admit not keen on the HAF 922/932 due to their ugly looks, although they certainly do produce excellent cooling...
    ________
    Tiffalicious

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  13. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

The Lian Li is a very nice case but for that money I could also go for a Coolermaster ATCS 840.

My final list of component are:

MSI X58M Socket 1366 8 channel Audio Firewire GB LAN E-SATA mATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 D0 stepping 8MB Cache OEM Processor

BFG GTX275 OC 896MB GDDR3 Dual DVI PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24)

Coolermaster ATCS 840 Black Aluminium E-ATX Case - No PSU

Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM

Plexus Serial ATA 2.0 (SATA) 7-pin Cable (Red) 61cm / 24"

Western Digital WD1500HLFS 150GB Hard Drive SATAII 10000rpm 16MB Cache - OEM WD VelociRaptor

LG GH22NS50 22x SATA DVD±RW Dual Layer & RAM Black Bare Drive - OEM

Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU - 80plus Silver Certified Efficiency

missing cooler - probably Titan Fenrir but for some reason ebuyer.com don't seem to have it

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

change your board to asus p5t premium v2

don't bother with the WD velociRaptor

check that your opticl drive does support copact discs not just dvd

don't bother with the extra sata cable

and i would recomend you buy from scan.co.uk they will supply you with more of a choice of components

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Have a look at the Lancool PC-K58/60/62. It's basically the Lian Li PC-P50 done in steel with some bits of plastic. Lancool is a subsidiary of Lian Li, in case you didn't know.

The three Lancool models are all basically identical, but have more features (extra fans, windowed sidepanel, paintcoated interior) installed from scratch with every iteration. You can check out the cases here.

16. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

The DVD Drive supports CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-RW etc
    And although Scan do have a wide choice I'd still end up getting my preferred monitor (HP 2475W) from Ebuyer as scan do not do it so I guess its swings and roundabouts but thanks for all the input guys

And did you mean the deluxe ASUS P6T - I guess if I drop the WD drive the extra £120 can cover cost of this motherboard and I'd switch to a quieter cooler like the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I would also agree with dropping the WD Drive, mainly because as SSD comes down, i imagine you'd rather have one of those as your boot drive? The F1 on it's own would be fine for now?

I'm having a similar dilemna when it comes to cases, I love the sleek look of the Lian Li's but want the cooling of the Antec's, The HAF are too fugly :p

The 902 poses some issues when it comes to gfx cards getting larger and larger!

18. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

What do you mean? The 902 is a massive beast....:geek:

19. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Not in terms of card length...

Read bit-tech review. The 1200 is the beast.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Whoever said getting the ATCS840, they're right.

And word of advice, would it not be better to get perhaps a 2nd hand LCD2480WUXi?