1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Finalizing PCI bracket spacing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BD Hopkins, 26 Dec 2014.

1. BD Hopkins

BD Hopkins What's a Dremel?

I thought I'd try the ATX 2.2 SPEC sketchup model as a base for my scratchbuild. Something seems off with the PCI bracket opening, so I'm double-checking the measurement.

Simply put, shouldn't the opening for the PCI bracket in the rear of the case extend all the way up to the bottom of where the expansion card will screw in? Why is there a 7.47mm gap there?

Here's my question, illustrated:
    [​IMG]

In other words, if you don't extend this opening all the way up, don't you run the risk of cutting off options on PCI bracket of graphics cards, where they are increasingly using as much surface area as possible?

[​IMG]

On the flip side of that coin, is there any reason why extending it all the way up would harmful to the case or its configurations? I can't think of any. Thanks.

2. BD Hopkins

Thank you for your work on the model! It's been very helpful.

Thanks also for the reply. And because no good deed goes unpunished, here is a followup question:

Why is the diameter of the PCI bracket mounting hole 3.962 mm? This seems quite large.

It looks like 6-32 screws are the most common for PCI brackets, with Lian-Li's being even smaller at M3. I'm seeing a 6-32 tap come out to only about 3.5052 mm diameter. The pilot hole is obviously going to be even smaller as a percentage of this.

[​IMG]

3. BD Hopkins

I see. Thanks a bunch!