1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally got new PSU to up PPD but

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Bork_Bork, 15 Jan 2010.

1. Bork_Bork

Bork_Bork What's a Dremel?

After much deliberation I decided to pull the trigger on a ThermalTake W0158 650w ToughPower PowerExpress VGA PSU for £65 to power my 2 9800 GX2s.

Bought on Tuesday but it was only sent yesterday due to the weather.

It arrived this morning but despite the VGA cables being sealed and it looking new it has been sent with a standard kettle lead instead of the custom one - there is a 3 pin molex type plug on the rear of the unit. (see rear view)

http://www.thermaltake.com/product_...id=C_00001309&name=650W&ov=n&ovid=&parent_cp=

Been looking forward to this all week and now I'm :miffed:

Last edited: 15 Jan 2010
  2. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

That sucks mate, sounds like a refurb'd unit from eBay or something. I know what you mean, its a small 3 pin plug that goes in the back and I doubt you will be able to hunt one down.

Kick off with the supplier and demand one is sent 1st class to you! If it is eBay tell them its incomplete and negative feedback is going to be on its way unless you have the power lead ASAP. :(

3. Bork_Bork

Just got a reply to my e-mail, cable is being sent today 1st Class, apparently they have sold another one with the same problem and the one they have left in stock is the same.

They have 8432 feedback 100% positive so they can't be that bad. Authorized Premium ThermalTake Reseller (?)

PSU looks and smells new :D no signs of use.

It's just really frustrating as I've been looking at these for ages.

4. Bork_Bork

Cable arrived first thing this morning. :thumb:

Finished work early as power was being disconnected at 5:00. :thumb:

It is fitted and working, took a bit longer than I thought as one of the PCI-e 6 pin to 6 pin cables has the same connector on both ends - the PSU one (it has a square instead of D shape), kept taking them both out to check them thinking I'd missed somthing obvious :wallbash: managed to get it fitted though.

Fan is a bit loud but can't really do anything about that, might have to find some tape to put over the blue leds on the front as they are very bright.

Fahmon currently showing 24,000 PPD, 3 x 353, 1 x 1888 and 1 x 1920 on Notfreds with Q6600 at stock. :D