1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Finding a replacement laptop charger.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NeiltheDruid, 16 May 2013.

1. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

Sup guys :)

I am trying to find a new laptop charger. I have found plenty on ebay that have the correct plug and voltage and have the model number of my laptop in the listing. The only problem is that a lot of the chargers on offer only run at 3.25A instead of the 6A that my current one runs at.

I am assuming that this would be a problem since my laptop would probably draw too much power from the transformer? Or, is it the case that it is just charging the battery so it would just charge slower? Please could someone help me clarify this. :confused:

The other option I have is replacing the plug on the end of the charger myself.

Cheers :thumb:

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

Have you tried Amazon, I have got replacement power bricks for several people from there, they have a massive range.

3. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

Thanks CrapBag! (lol I like your name! :D) I found one on Amazon.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if your current one is 6A, then you will probably need to replace it with a 6A one, you will almost certainly overload a 3.25A if you tried to use it with a flat battery(it would be ok for charging whilst machine is off)

laptopspares

5. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Member

Cheers Rich, I thought so. My laptop will run without the battery in place, so when the mains adapter is plugged in it must bypass the battery partially. Which means I would need a PSU with the full 6A.