1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Finding out what is on the other end of an ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OneSeventeen, 4 Jun 2007.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

In one of our undocumented wiring closets we've got a fiber optic converter going straight into the patch-bay. When I tested the patch bay with a basic patch cable tester it claimed the other end of the patch-bay was home to a computer (as opposed to networking hardware).

So now I want to find that computer out of the 50 other computers in this building to see if it is still in use. (Without documentation, you run the risk of leaving things on that don't really need to be on anymore...)

So I was wondering if I could just take my laptop in there with a crossover cable and run some script to probe the other machine to see what OS it is running, and perhaps what its IP address is.

any tips?

2. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

You could probably just use a crossover and Look@Lan and see information about it. All you would need is just a clue of a range of the IP it's using.

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Unplug it and see who complains :hehe:

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

This is about as effective as it gets...

But a more hands on approach, do a portscan to see what is open on the PC/Server. Then you can use netcat or something to see what is behind each port, and figure out a use for the system.

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Nmap has a host discovery thing which should tell you the sort of thing that is connected.. Just use a crossover cable, and one of the options that scans a large ip range, and leave it for a while.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Nmap or Firewalk, maybe.

7. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Thanks, I'll just nmap it with a crossover cable.

It was unplugged for about a day and nobody complained, which makes me think it is no longer in use, but is still turned on.

Tags: