1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Finding unwanted dependencies in website

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 9 Apr 2013.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Hi all,

If you had been tasked with finding unwanted website dependencies, how would you go about approaching the problem?

I had no input on the creation of the site (or any site that wasn't using some sort of Web CMS) but have been unwillingly put forward after being the discoverer of the problem.

The site in question is a company intranet, and I have full domain admin rights. The problem has originated after a server migration, and it seems some links/assets etc are still pointing to/located on the old server.

Frankly, I don't even know where to start, but I assume there's some scanning software to isolate these kind of things?

Any help much appreciated.

TSB

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

TheStockBroker likes this.
  3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Well, they weren't 404's - The old server was still operational, so it's just a case of finding the lingering items and getting them moved/properly redirected.

That said, what you provided has worked flawlessly for what I need (+pointing out 404s) - Thankyou + Rep!

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Will they still be needing the old server? If not and all data is on the new you can use DNS and NETBios alias to redirect anything looking for the old server to the new server?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

What are they using? Is it Sharepoint?

6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Well... I'm really hoping that I'm just providing the information, and not having to resolve the issues - We have something of an IT Dept staff crisis at the moment though, so... we shall see. However, yes, the plan is to decommission the old server once it's "safe" to do so.

Just to make life especially difficult, some is; some isn't... Smaller companies keep getting bought, and infrastructure hobbled together because of impatient management. (You seem like an enterprise guy saspro; but maybe once upon a time you were in a fast-growing SMB and know the feeling)

Luckily though, Sharepoint stuff went on the new server from the beginning; although of course Sharepoint has it's own headaches anyway...

EDIT: Would love a hand on that other problem if you get a sec saspro!

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

PM me it over. I forget to check every thread I've been in.

I work for a SMB over in Richmond dealing with with everything from 5 user companies to multi-nationals so I have to design stuff for every budget.

edit: Updated the other one