1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding finger print start

Discussion in 'Modding' started by noobidoo, 15 Mar 2005.

1. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

The only part I really understood is the 880 euros. That pretty much tells me all i need to know. Although, it would be cool.

3. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

I noticed the price part too.

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Not all biometric fingerprint readers are that expensive, just the more complex ones (really high quality).

For example, certain Compaq IPAQs have them built in, and microsoft now has a keyboard that has it for security purposes, and costs under $200usd. It's all about the complexity.

5. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Ya, I know about those, however they would require a far bit of modding to start a pc, (a second pc would prolly be a start) as it is the pc that does the processing and paterrn reconition required for it to work at all.

6. McGuinness

McGuinness Banned

If someone were to buy one, I wonder how long that green LED would stay there..? ;)

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

True, but let's see...hmmm...

modding? possible, fun, and cheap. Or...
    800 some euros. :)

Tough choice. ;)

8. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

strapping a second pc to the front of my case to control the power button isn't my idea of a mod, its my idea of foolishness.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2005
  9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

that finger print scanner would probably end up costing more than your pc, but if you win several lotteries, buy it. :D

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm sure there would be other ways to rig it up, but thank you for the pithy reply. :thumb: The setup required to lock your keyboard or log you onto your computer could be done without a second PC. You just wouldn't be able to start it that way. And who knows, maybe the gurus in electronics could make it function that way with limited capacity.

11. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

sure... but you get to pay 800 Euros for the condensed pcb with fingerprint modual.

The set up to log you into the computer wouldn't require another PC, but that wasn't what he said, he said turn the pc on, and this would require a fully operational biometric fingerprint reader, which belive it or not isn't exatly simple technology as all of the processing would have to be done in the modual rather then in the pc as it is with the cheaper moduals.

12. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Hell yeah $1182.16 US :eeek:

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I took that second part (slightly cryptic english) to mean locking or unlocking the keyboard/mouse, i.e. logging off or on. Perhaps I misinterpreted, or perhaps you didn't read past the first comma. Regardless, I am well aware of the complexity of biometrics, thank you, as well as what circuits would have to be operational before a computer. For the second part of his question that I was reading, there is a cheaper, possibly viable moduLE.

14. Devil_909

Devil_909 What's a Dremel?

You can get one of those fingerprint readers for about $35. It hooks into your USB and can be used intead of typing in password to log in, or for other apps. I have seen them with red, or blue LEDs in them. In fact one of my friends has one. Not sure how to mod it start the comp though.

15. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

Ya if i was a separate thing wouldn't it need alot of power and it would cause alot of heat.

16. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

i wouldn't have thought power and heat would be a problem with the scanner - just getting the fugger to work....

17. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

True, but your version is much cheaper...and I bet there would be a way to mod that electric signal that unlocks the door instead to an active-low switch, just like we mod qprox touch sensors. Use that and a relay....

*mr. miagi voice*
    hmmmm....you have good ideas, daniel-san...

19. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

20. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

1/1 000 000 chans of reading wrong!!!
    those that say some thing. :idea: