News Firefox 4 Beta 4 includes Direct2D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Quote: "Thankfully, enabling the acceleration is pretty straightforward for the more advanced users willing to give the bleeding edge a try: "To turn on Direct2D: Go in to about:config and set mozilla.widget.render-mode to 6, and gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to true."

That is hardly straightforward, it might not be difficult, but try explaining that to an older generation compared to going to something like Tools - Options - Tick box for 2D acceleration.

TBH, it's about time Mozilla and others made these advanced features more readily available for the more common things that day to day users might benefit from.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

But then again why would the "older generation" be using beta software? It's obvious that these options will be in the "appearance" preferences in the menu, probably, in future, stable releases.

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

@tad2008 - that's a bit unfair - it's a beta feature that by the developers' own admission isn't yet ready for a full rollout. Most day to day users don't need to be messing about with features that aren't fully developed yet - they're better off with a more stable, if fractionally slower, browsing experience.

I'd expect that in the final release of Firefox 4 this will be enabled by default, and nobody will ever really need to turn it off.

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

TBH, you absolutely do not get this at all. You need to actually download the Minefield nightlies in order to even get this option, which are very unlikely for the older generation to EVEN know about it, much less download and install.

Fail.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which is exactly what the option *will* be on final release. Remember, this is a *beta* - i.e. an unfinished product for testing purposes.

Plus, if you read the sentence again, I said it was "pretty straightforward for the more advanced users." Somehow, I doubt that members of your apparently senile "older generation" read bit-tech and install betas.

Just sayin'.

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Not bothering with the FF beta until my addons are all updated to work with it :p

8. a6361563

a6361563 What's a Dremel?

Almost every add-on is working fine with the Beta. Just install "Add-on Compatibility Reporter" add-on.

9. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I've never really liked Firefox tbh, always been afraid it will eat my babies.

Let me know when Chrome or Opera adds this feature.

10. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Firefox 4 beta 4 is not released yet. bit-tech needs to stop snooping on the Mozilla FTP server. just because something is put up there does not mean it is officially released.

this is as said a minefield nightly and I've been testing Direct2D enabled Firefox for quite some time now.
    Direct2D "code" is already in Beta 3

11. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I'll wait for the official release, I just need stuff to work i'll leave beta testing to others.

12. Kenny79

Kenny79 I own a Dremel!

Never could figure out why Firefox was so popular, I tried it a few times but couldn’t grow to like it, then Chrome came out and I’ve never looked back its just fast and easy. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

13. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Actually, as far as I remember Direct2D was already in as far back as when it was called 3.7. Way to make a story out of non-news, guys!

14. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Also it probably won't be popular with the mainstream (unless Mozilla somehow changes it between now and release) as it also requires Vista/7, WDDM drivers and its not recommended to use Intel graphics chips, which will be what many people have. Can't say I've really noticed any difference in memory, its still using nearly 400MB (albeit with several tabs open)

15. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Where can I download beta 4? Have looked everywhere, but most recent I can find is version 3.

16. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

I dunno what's going on here, but this method of enabling D2D has been part of the minefield builds for nearly two months - ever since it was renamed from 3.6pre (though code-wise more advanced than 3.6), to 4.0.

This feature is enabled by default in the firefox 4 prebeta 5 builds (available here, so beta 5 should have this enabled by default too. Be patient if you don't like fiddling around with about:config.

17. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

18. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Ah OK, thanks :)

19. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Well I use Minefield as my default browser, and I like it. But some times it is bit annoying that beta dev team enable some features which clearly aren't working.

I'm not sure is the problem with Direct2D Firefox beta based error, or aren't web pages just simply coded whit D2D in mind, since at least youtube has some issues playing vids properly when D2D is enabled (might have something to do with Flash...)

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

firefox and Chrome seem to be bit heavy on ram use, i must have about 60-70 tabs open in opera and its using like 1gb of ram (i got more tabs open then norm as ram use is norm 400-600MB with 40tabs) 4 tabs are open in chrome right now and they are using 300-400 each Flash seems have have an negative impact on firefox and chrome seems to have an mem leak thats not been fixed yet

Tags: Add Tags