1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox cutting into IE's lead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 23 Nov 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

More evidence emerges (Courtesy of news.com) of IE's shrinking market share as the alternatives conquer more territory:

As Firefox marks its 5 millionth download and moves to retail stores, a survey showed Microsoft's heavyweight Internet Explorer slipping below 90 percent market share.

OneStat.com, an Amsterdam, Netherlands-based provider of Web traffic measurement services, said that according to numbers gleaned from 2 million Web surfers around the world, the Mozilla Foundation's new Firefox releases appear to be cutting into Microsoft's still commanding lead in the browser market.

"It seems that people are switching from Microsoft's Internet Explorer to Mozilla's new Firefox browser," Niels Brinkman, OneStat.com co-founder, said in a statement.

More here

How low can it go? ;)

2. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

You know some idiot PR man will respond with something totally off the wall to cover that story. I like Microsoft, I don't like their PR or stupid C** comments.

3. penski

penski BodMod

And the award for 'most obvious statement 2004' goes to...

*n

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

well ive been using firefox for about 3 weeks now and i like it :)

5. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

i still see no reason to download a seperate browser. but competition is always good, MS needs to be picked on a little, they're too big. also it should encourage MS to make their browser even better than it is. so its good news all around. :)

6. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

It's all about security my friend.

I've been doing my part, every computer I build opens firefox by default, and I've gotten most of my friends and their families to switch. Are you doing your part? ;)

I really just want to see MS realize that they have serious competition... ::shrug::

7. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

doing my part? lol, no im afraid not. infact when someone brings me a computer that they need "cleaned up" (viruses, adware, and other problems caused by the novice computer user) i always uninstall firefox/netscape/opera/others if i find em. i usually find that they have installed the 3rd party browser because they have screwed up their computer so badly they cause IE to quit functioning! so i fix it and get rid of the other broswers, really makes things run faster when you use IE instead of netscape et al. and faster is what they wanna see when im done fixing it. I dont really worry about security, IE is plenty secure when you have it all updated.

but i do see a lot more firefox than ever before. the kiosk computers in the library on campus all use firefox, and every college laptop has it installed along with IE and netscape (we're a laptop university so that means EVERY student has a laptop from the college). Funny thing is, i reformatted my laptop (i dont like that they did with the image on the laptops) so im one of the few without firefox. and when i use the kiosks i find a way to start IE because firefox routinely does this thing where it will sit there trying to load a webpage and it wont go anywhere, even after trying to reload, and then IE goes right away... so i dunno, probably some odd network problem with firefox and our college network.

but yeah, LOTS of firefox all over around here. its definately becoming noticeable

8. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

hahahahaha "ie is secure when updated" hahahahaha sorry but thats just priceless

9. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

Sadffffff, you just said some of the most ignorant things ive ever heard about net browsers in a while. Not a personal bash per se, but I hope you never work on any of my computers ( even though you or anyone would have to step over my corpse to work on any system of mine anyway :D)

Ive noticed that Firefox 1.0 is a lot quicker than IE could ever hope, and more secure.

The true problem with IE is not the browser itself, but the sheer mass integration into other parts of the Windows kernel, essentially providing a giant backdoor into vital WIndows services right through IEs holes. Naturally, an alternative browser wont do that, not nearly as much anyway. Firefox is an independant program, as well as opera and the others.

If I could get rid of IE completly I would, even though thats basically impossible given IEs integration into the rest of windows. I will give you that some pages dont load right with FireFox, but ive had this happen maybe once in the last 6 months of using it.

IE is here to stay for sure as its vital to the operation of windows itself, and you will need it for a while still to get around the very few of FireFoxs faults as far as viewing web content go. But letting IE touch the internet is certainly dangerous. No amount of patching by MS has really fixed IE, and thats like Ive been saying because of how intertwined IE and Windows are. To truely fix it, they would have to engineer another service to take its place and make IE like firefox: a stand alone app. The next real update wont come until Longhorn does as well.

I wont say that FF doesnt have any faults or security holes, cause it obviously does like any peice of exploitable software. But at least Mozilla releases patches almost immediatly for any such holes. MS takes months, and even then nothing is really fixed.

But yeah, i really have come to love FireFox. Its quick, secure, uncluttered with useless crap, a pop up blocker that really does a good job, and if anything else, its skinable (bless whoever made the Firefox Modern skin). I use it in my standard internet security package along with Spybot, Zone Alarm, and Ad-Aware. If these arnt on a system I put them on it. I switched my family over and they like it too.

I say death to IE. Long live alternatives.

Brew

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yet again I've tried Firefox (due to everyone in here banging on about it) and yet again I find myself switching back to IE.
    I find FF to be slower and less user frendly, the later could be down to the fact I've used IE for years and gotten so used to it.

I dont know what the actual security risks are in using IE, but I update on a regular basis which should help at least.

I don't know what it is but I've not liked a single standalone browser I've tried.

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i dont give a crap about the security aspect tbh
    i'd still use FF even if it was less secure than IE because it makes browsing so much better and more efficient
    ie blows, firefox is the win!
    firefox is definately not slower, it starts faster on my machine than ie does and browsing is far quicker, and tab browsing!! goddamn i dont understand how people can go back to use single window ie after using firefox tabs, its mind boggling!

12. penski

penski BodMod

I use Phoenix at home because when I trialled it years ago I found it to be so much more intuitive and useful than IE that I stuck with it...Now, when I come to work, I find myself trying to middle-click links and use mouse chords/mouse gestures.

Oh and one other reason I don't use IE:

ActiveX Controls.

*n

13. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I do the opposite - Delete the IE icon off the desktop and put on Firefox. The reason their computer is so messed up and can't function properly is all the crap that hijacks IE. I really don't know how people download so much crap on their PC's, but Firefox keeps the buggers a heck of alot cleaner. Easier on the user and me so it won't be back in for a cleaning so quick.

Oh, and tabs just plain rock.

And look for the extention called "Weatherfox" - super cool.

14. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I've taken on Firefox along side Opera as my two main browsers on my XP box. On my mac, I won't touch Firefox, it's a memory and cpu whore and compared to Safari, it blows.

15. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I don't know how people get so much damn spyware on there computer from IE. The only spyware that makes it on my system are those damn cookies.

16. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

froggy, people dont get spyware from using IE per se, they get it from not knowing how to use a computer. I use nothing but IE and i dont need adaware/spybot/whatever because i DONT get any adware or spyware. If i do install adware all it ever comes up with is cookies, and i want cookies that make pages work right in many cases. security is a non-issue for the most part because MS does catch the holes and does patch them before they are massivly exploited. i say its a non-issue and its plenty secure when updated because i have never been hit by anything through a hole in IE, i spose my tune might change if i ever were.

like yodasarmpit i always see IE as faster and more userfriendly, not to mention it works great consistantly.

ndtinker, i agree that firefox most likely keeps the computer cleaner, it blocks/doesn't work with things that pop-out at you and say "HEY CLICK HERE! FOR FREE STUFF!" or install on demand prompts "CLICK I AGREE TO CONTINUE" though SP2 has pretty much done away with that stuff too. but if i installed FF then i'll likely get a call, "i cant access such and such webpage right" or "my internet takes a while to come up still" and IE saves me from that. my goal when dealing with people that have no idea what their doing is: make it faster and better, and faster. faster. faster. i do that, then tell them not do download the bad stuff and how to keep things cleaner. then i collect money and forget about it.

Brew- what did i say that was ignorent? that IE is fast and that mozilla doesnt load a certain webpage quickly? well it has been my experience that IE is faster (most likely because its pretty much always loaded already and the shifty way it makes webpage requests) and its a fact that it wont load that page fast (or at all) on campus.

i totally think that FF is a great thing for some people, and if it beats out MS and IE someday, then more power to them. i dont think that FF is a bad program at all, in fact i know its a great program. but i also know that i can never use it. when i use a computer, i am a minimalist. I dont download software that my os can already do without. for instance I know that winamp is an awesome audio player, but i will not use it. nor do i use windows media player 10 (or whatever version it is these days) i goto run and start up mplayer2.exe and use that for all my movie and audio needs. i turn off all themes and special effects in windows (except drop shadows on icons so the background shows through the text and also showing window contents while dragging.). it keeps my computer zippy, and my games running fast, starts up quick very low ram usage, etc. so thats why FF doesnt really fit me, same reason for not wanting a google desktop search engine (i tweak the registry so i can have the win2000 search).

17. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

Im just pointing out that if you think IE is in any way secure just because they throw a piddly update at it once in a while, thats just not true. Just my opinion that maybe you didnt do a lot of research on the subject to say that. This isnt a flame, just an opinion that no one probably cares about :D

Honestly though you need to do some research. I can GUARENTEE you have spyware infesting your system if your not protecting yourself and are using only IE. You seem to have the mentality that if you cant see something then it doenst exist. :blah: As for the minimalist thing, are you using a 386 or something?

Last edited: 25 Nov 2004
  18. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Well startup regedit and search for "TypedURLs". that is the sort of stuff IE does with your computer and your registry. FF does not and I like it for just that.

19. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I've been using Firefox for a while now, at first I found it really crappy but it takes me long before I get used to something.

One thing I can honestly say though is that Firefox is not THAT great if it weren't for the 3'rd party plug-ins / extensions.

I find myself trying to go back in all my apps using my mouse :lol:

What I dislike about IE is that MS pretty much just stopped adding anymore features and improving it simply because they have market share and people didn't really have much of a choice, I know there's always been Opera and others but not many people outside 'our' circles knew about these other browsers. Firefox is changing that, and will hopefully continue to do so.
    Even if you don't like Firefox and you prefer IE, you stand to benefit either way IMO becuase once Firefox really begins to hurt MS then they will start developing on IE again.

As sadffffff I also regard myself as a minimalist when it comes to software on my computer, especially my gaming PC, but that is exactly why I dislike all of these added features in MS operating systems nowadays.

If I want a media player I will install one that I CHOOSE
    If I want a browser I will install one that I CHOOSE
    If I want a graphics program (if you can call MsPaint that) I will install one that I CHOOSE
    If I want built in zip file support I will install one that I CHOOSE

And so on and so on and so on.

I don't need half of the rubbish that MS includes in its OSs.
    And the problems with MS including things such as a browser into the OS are obvious and have been proven time and time again.....

More security issues
    More resource heavy
    Kills off any competition, or in the very least makes it extremely difficult for others to compete (eg: Netscape)

I am not bashing MS operating systems, I use and like Windows 2000 but it could be a LOT better without all the 'value added features' which in my opinion are just an excuse for MS to justify their high pricing.

EDIT: and I think I went a little bit off topic there :lol:

Just to add one more point though:

The other problem with having software 'bundled in' with the OS like IE is that when you want to use something else, eg: Firefox in this case, you have to sacrifice system resources in order to have that choice. Which is exactly what some people dislike about it.

Oh and this point about Firefox loading up faster than IE - I dunno, it must be just me but in all the PCs I have installed Firefox (5 in total + 1 laptop) IE still loads faster which would make sense since most of it is pretty much running in the background most of the time anyway.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2004
  20. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

Have to say firefox cetainly seems fast then IE to me, and ive had less crap to deal with since i made the move, granted theres still some spyware, but only a fraction of what i used to pick up with IE.

Tags: Add Tags