1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows FireFox vs Opera

Discussion in 'Software' started by GigantoR, 25 Sep 2005.

1. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I know I posted a Firefox/Thunderbird vs Mozilla suite topic not long ago, but now with Opera becoming free, i was wondering which of the 2 I should use. I'm a Foxer but I've heard good things about Opera but I eally know nothing about Opera, so...discuss?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I just had this exact same dabate on another forum 5 mins ago, firefox won hands down. End of :D

3. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Good deal, saves me time and effort, thanks bro.

4. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

i prefer opera myself

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

got a link? could be interesting to read

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I absolutely love Firefox and all the features it has to offer. But lately, the memory leak problems have really been bugging me. I never noticed it much before, but it's even got up to 512K mem usage and crashes when it gets to high.

7. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

I tried them all. IE, Maxthon, Opera, Firefox, Mozilla

Afterall of them, I still go back to Firefox within a week.

Maxathon - Like IE, pages with javascript and other plugins load first which sucks
    Opera - Crashed 8 times on Windows 2003 Server. Sometimes, It doesnt even remember its own settings.
    Mozilla - Too Bloated, too slow

Firefox is the best. I never noticed RAM problems but thats because I never open more than 10 tabs at a time. Most I seen is 72MB.

8. John Cena

Has anyone tried FireFox 1.07? I didnt know they had this version out until today

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm using 1.07 now.

And FF rules.

10. skmetal7

skmetal7 What's a Dremel?

im using 1.07 too and I second that!^

11. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

hey, Firefox loads quick .. .quicker than IE maybe .. or about the same. I use it because it's also based off Mozilla

12. VincentVega

VincentVega What's a Dremel?

Why not install it and find out? It's only a 4mb download.

I've been using Opera since version 3. I find it miles quicker than Firefox, the UI is far better looking and you don't have to faff around with extensions every time you re-install. All the "wonderous" features from Firefox - tabbed browsing and the like - have been in Opera for years.

Firefox has a bit of a l33t/fanboi thing about it which quite frankly annoys me. Given the way that some adherents of the FF way talk about their browser, you'd think it could solve world hunger.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Sorry, unfortunately this was one of the few geek discussions that happened in real life. Spooky, eh? :D

14. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I've tried Opera and I'm not used to the way it looks, so I went back to FF! Opera I agree loads faster, not sure about stability though.

I do sometimes go to IE for compatibility, most websites are designs for IE and FTP is a lot easier in IE than Firefox, have I missed something or there isn't a folder view in FF?

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It does, it's so slick you don't have time to snack. It's also cut down on my smoking and drinking, and I don't beat my wife & kids up so much.

Or maybe broadband has helped... :confused:

There is no "best" browser, any more than there's a "best" car, camera, or cereal brand, so try them all, see what suits. :D

16. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Yeah, so? You didn't somehow have some sort of digital device their to archive an important technical conversation? That is deffinately not a geek discussion. . .

:)

To make this post a little less spamtastic, I myself prefer Firefox over Opera because the Fox has extensions. Also the interface seems cleaner to me.

L J

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I use Opera, have done since somewhere around version 6. I've tried various incarnations of FF, but have just found them to be inferior to Opera. The only thing I'd want would be extentions, and they are a big thing, it'd be cool to be able to use them on FF. But ultimately, I want mimimum bloat, and Opera does that well. I think it can be the most efficient browser.

18. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

So I tried Opera.... Download + install, ~1.20min

Then I tried all my most viewed web sites and I did not like the scrolling.
    It felt like page was not one entity, but rather all boxes slapped onto non stable surface and when scrolling it would kinda float. I know that is the worst description. But it did not feel solid for me. So I'm sticking with firefox.

19. John Cena

Oh yeah try scrolling some myspace profiles with Opera....SLUGGISH. Di di di da di di doo doo ill use firefox

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hmm, did you have smooth scrolling on? Opera allows users to turn it off to save resources. I think you need to give either Opera or Firefox, whichever you're trying out, a good trial period. About a week is what I do when trying out a new version of a browser. A few hours isn't enough to get it set up right.

Tags: