1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First car - what colour should I paint my wheels? Mk2 Golf Content Pg. 8

Discussion in 'General' started by ry@n, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Why have you got a massive bean can on a 1.0L polo? :p

Sexy wheels, not my cup of tea, but nice all the same.

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

It was on there when I bought it haha I never got around changing it. Its the lowest point of the car and smashes on everything.

[​IMG]
    The exhaust mount snapped off recently.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Nov 2011
  3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Not a fan of stretch tyres. Looks nice at the front, but the wheels and tyres at the back don't look right to me.

Do love the look of these when they're on the ground, but I bet its bloody uncomfortable, :D :D

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Not exactly subtle but I like some parts of it. It's quite simple which is nice.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Good luck with those speed bumps!

6. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

The stretch on the back is to keep it legal, i've never been a huge fan of big stretches either but it was a choice of this, thin wheels or wheel arch extensions :hehe:

It is bumpy around town on coilovers but once you're on nice flat roads its a joy to drive, like a little go kart.

Cheers!

The only bumps that are an issue are the narrow ones that most cars fly over without noticing, I have to drive with only one side of the car on the bump and the other half on the flat.. if that makes sense.

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Welcome to my world.

It's not too bad now but, when I bought the car, it was equipped with 205/40/17 tires and I couldn't clear any bumps :hehe:

I put on some 215/45/17 and I'm fine now

8. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

haha sounds fun, what car is it? Any pictures?

9. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

There are flat roads in Gloucestershire? Where? I drive thousands of miles a year and Gloucestershire has the worst roads in the whole country!

The car looks good though Ryan :thumb: (but that exhaust needs to go asap)

10. Krikkit

Not sure if the suspension geometry will remain intact, but wide tyres always help! :D

What rate springs have you got on the coilies?

11. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

do you have this up on vwvortex?

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Nice if you like that euro look.

Your itching for a golf though arent you, no matter what you do with a older polo they dont quite do it.

The new ones though......

13. Krikkit

No, I'm sorry, but no Golf can be as cool as a well-sorted G40 Polo... Although I prefer the performance tune rather than euro style. :D

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

15. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Haha very true :p Yea the exhaust is doing my head in, its going to snap off any time soon which wont be a bad thing!

I actually don't know, they are budget Rokkor ones imported from Germany by a guy on club polo. Stiff as f*ck but its on its arse and thats all that matters :D

I have a build thread on clubpolo.co.uk

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=229410&hl=rh+cups

I honestly prefer Polos of this age, the Mk4 Golfs are very common and overdone IMO. I would choose this style polo with a 1.8T BAM lump or similar any day. I do have a soft spot for Mk2 Golfs though.

I never knew what all the fuss was about with G40s until I saw (and heard) one destroy a Subaru on the strip at Silverstone :eeek:

This is my first car afterall and insurance is £1400! Hopefully with a years no claims I will be able to afford a 6n2 GTi.

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The Scoobs a nightmare for that too. Lowered, stiffened suspension, large wheels with high pressure low profile tyres and a front splitter make speed bumps rather hazardous. You also fuse a few vertebrae in your spine if you go over them to rapidly too. :D

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

That's a very cool Polo you have there!
    The new flatter 5 spoke wheels, especially with the massive offset on the rears make the car look much more baddass :rock:

I assume you went so small on wheel diameter to get lower gear ratios, not just to make it look like a go-kart!

It really is low... forget not just speed humps, but even many driveways :lol: It looks damn cool and sure it's great for handling on smooth roads, but that ride height can't be legal :confused:

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Very nice for a first car!

Sure beats my first car - 1.0L 205 Junior. Thems were the days!

Not sure how old you are but that seems surprisingly low. I'm almost 30 with a gazillion years no claims and insurance for me is still a rip off.

19. Krikkit

13's to 14's will be a pretty small difference, besides this car ain't for 'ring laps, it's a knicker-dropping cruiser. :D

It is legal in the UK as long as it can pass an MOT (which is basically no components fouling etc) and as long as it's a declared modification with your insurance company.

ry@n: Good luck getting a GTI insured with just 1y NCB for sensible money! Lovely little cars though, I've always liked the 6n2.

20. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thanks!
    Having these 14s compared to my previous 15s and 16s have definitely improved acceleration but it feels like i've lost a bit at the top end, but it is only a 1.0. Form > Function and all that :p

Im almost 21, yea I got off quite lightly compared to some people I know paying £3k + on Saxos etc.

:D

Yea it passed first time with one advisory for being lowered, despite being quite low it only scrapes on sharp corners at speed and on bumpy roads with passengers. All arches have been rolled, the fronts have been flared and all arch liners have been trimmed accordingly.

Well, as it stands I can insure a GTi on my currenty policy for an additional £1100 (£2500 in total) so im hoping it will be around £2000 once I have 1y NCD. Even though its a GTi it is only a naturally aspirated 1.6 pushing 125bhp. Not exactly a performance car but perfect for what I need as its going to be more practical for long journeys and still have a fairly good MPG. I just need to find one thats already had an uprated gearbox as the standard one is made from marshmallows.