1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First Car!

Discussion in 'General' started by fuus, 27 Dec 2012.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

What about a ford fiesta?

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

you're approaching this the wrong way. The second hand car market is in the toilet at the moment.

Don't get set on looking for a particular kind of car, or you will pay over the odds.

Set yourself some boundaries:
    For you I'd say: no older then 2000, no more than 60,000 miles, insurance group 1 or 2, no more than 1.2ltr engine, around £1,000.

Then have a look at whats available locally, within your criteria.

Compare the cars with the prices listed on Wisebuyers.co.uk, and check for known issues against a site like honestjohn.co.uk. I have never paid more than the average condition wisebuyers price...and dont be afraid to tell people their price is too high.

I've only been driving for 2 years...I've had 3 cars, no problems with any of them, and I've made a profit on each of them. There's no trick...just don't set out for a participial car, go use your business brain, not your heart.

I started with a 2000 Renault Clio for £1,000....sold it for £1,300 a year later, only had an MOT and service in that time. I had a Skoda Fabia 2, bought for £4000 sold for £4,900. Currently have an Alfa Mito bought for £5,500.

3. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Wow I can't believe £1000 isn't enough of a budget to get insurance on a car at that age. Been a while since I was 17 but those prices seem ludicrous.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

4. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

When I first started I had a peugeot 106 1.1 from 1998, I managed to insure that the day I passed my test for £1890 for a 10 month accelerator policy that gives you a years no claims bonus. I added both my mum and dad to the policy as secondary drivers in order to bring down cost which worked quite well. it was still a lot of money to spend considering the car was only £470 to buy.

I think that in order to drive you just have to pay a lot of money these days, there are small things you can do to bring down the price slightly but until you get a few years under your belt you will be spending lots.

fuus likes this.
  5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've said it before and I will say it again. Get a bike or moped at 16, do your CBT, don't even drive it if you don't want to.
    After a year you should (with some insurers at least) be able to transfer of to a car policy for a year no claim bonus. I passed at 21/22 years old and had 3 years no claims under my belt from this method. My insurance was around 4 or 5 hundred IIRC. It made a massive difference to my first car 1.1 nova. And my second a 1.4 ibiza

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oddly £437, I always remember because it was so close to 440

7. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Ouch
    That's about £2900 accounting for inflation and not even for a full year.

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Holy Smokes, how long ago was this?

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

"guy from 2 post above i phoned everywhere without success" (transferring no claims over)

Thing with a motorbike is car insurers don't let you transfer no-claims over either so yes it'll be cheaper but when you do want a car to drive you and your beautiful girl friend/partner places you'll have to start with no claims = being in the same situation as before and being 21 really didn't drop my insurance much at all!

Go on your parents insurance if you can, that's the easier/cheaper way of driving. Also off the top of my head here you could perhaps buy a road legal ATV (quad bike) and i believe that's cheap as chips insurance which still builds no-claims because its labelled as a private light goods... (Probably no safer then a bike but just tell your parents it has 4 wheels (o.o) like a car and obviously the engines are allot smaller.

10. patrickk84

patrickk84 What's a Dremel?

Good lord... I remember being 19 owning a 2000 Mustang GT and paying ~200 a month for insurance. I can't even imagine what that would be in the UK... I feel for you guys.

Now I pay ~50 a month for full coverage on my 1995 Toyota Pickup(hilux) and 1988 Suzuki Samurai.

fuus likes this.
  11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

2005, just don't follow the masses in what's expected

12. Pinguu

Pinguu Noot Noot!

Whatever happened to your theory that a Land Rover Discovery was the ultimate first car, huh? :D

fuus likes this.
  13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Direct line honoured mine. I can give you proof if you like. They initially said no, but I told them that was ridiculous as 3 years driving experience should give me some form of reward as it proves an element of safer driver for 3 years. They offered the equivalent discount as 3 years company car driver discount. I did have to push for it though.

14. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

IMO It still is, but my wallet isn't that large. Times have changed apparently. Also Defender, not Disco! :lol:

15. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

I do not envy you at this point of your life. Any vehicle is going to be very expensive to insure. There has been some great advise in this thread so far with the direct contact with brokers etc. If you wish to check yourself, the a copy of auto trader and 3-4 price comparison sites may be the next best thing. You need to work out what is viable for you before you go out and buy.

Rare vehicles are not always the best option. If 10 years + some insurers label them as auto write off's as they know they will struggle to get parts. This pushes the premium back up.

I will agree with a previous note earlier. You are very likely to have an accident in your first year. Won't necessarily be your fault but a lack of experience means you are unable to avoid it. Get an old banger first before looking for something you like.

Sorry I can't help any further. I have had a company car for nearly 10 years now which my company pay for as I am classed as an engineer to test other peoples cars. Been out of the game too long.:D

For a comparison, 17 years ago when I was 18. I paid £1200 for a mark 2 Fiesta. :rock:

fuus likes this.
  16. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

By the way, old Defenders are great vehicles. New ones not so much. Issues with where they chose to run the wiring. They run it out the body though the subframe with just average grommets to seal it. If you use the vehicle for what it is designed for, mud and dirt push past the grommets. Eventually causes electrical issues. :wallbash:

Luck so few go off road then isn't it:lol::thumb:

fuus likes this.
  17. rollo

rollo Modder

1 litre diesel ford, nissan would be where i would go.

you will pay at least £1500 for first party insurance if your only driver. ( you could easily double this in some parts of the country)

Insurance will cost you more than the car make no mistake about it.

For reference

a 1.3ford 15 years old costs around £3000 to insure for a 17 year old male driver
    a 1.4 ford 15 years old costs around £4000 to insure for a 17 year old

talk of buying a 1.8 + car is stupid because it will cost a fortune to insure.

you will get better deals on your parents insurance but if you crash there premiums will go up and the only way it will be cheap is if your down as the ocasional usage driver. which effectively means you can take it to school and back.

Premiums for 17 year olds are crazy, 18 is a better age.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

That's based on the Ford premium and that the fiesta regardless of engine is still considered a car driven by young boy racers.

Really need to think outside the box. I still think a morris minor of classic insurance is a winner, plus you could drop in an uprated A series like a 1275GT or a bored out 1300cc and have an interesting car with just a couple of weekends spanner time. Not to mention RWD on skinny tires equals 25mph drifts in the rain

19. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Accounting for inflation?! this was only 2 years ago :eyebrow: The car was a 1998 sorry if I confused you :rolleyes:

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's exactly what he did! I paid £1800 for my first year on a Fiat Punto at 17, in 2004, for reference.

I've been having a look at a comparison site to try and find something, but I've clearly entered details that flag up hilarious quotes - I'm getting £15000/year for everything!

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012