1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other First CD-Based game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by trilokmeia9, 16 Sep 2020.

1. trilokmeia9

trilokmeia9 New Member

I know the pc engine cd was the earliest means of playing cds on a console, and as far as I can tell, the first game for it was Fighting Street on December 4, 1988. However, I was wondering if there were cd-based games released before that for PCs.
    https://nox.tips/

Last edited: 18 Sep 2020 at 08:29
  2. enbydee

enbydee Active Member

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's a contemporary review of it in Apple Soft, Anno III, Number 18... if you read Italian. Well, I mean, there's one there even if you don't read Italian, you just won't understand it.

You can also see that the CD-ROM version fetched a hefty premium over the floppy release.

Nice single-page advert in MacWorld December 1989, but Activision really didn't make much of the first-on-a-CD-ROM thing - beyond a flash saying "Also available on CD-ROM". Guess it wasn't much of a market at the time - not many systems would have had CD-ROM drives...

There's a short review in the same issue, though it's a retrospective following the release of the follow-up Cosmic Osmo.

Detailed coverage of the PC release in Compute! April 1990, too. Another in Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Volume 3 No. 2 following an earlier preview.

There's a fun look at the considerably-upgraded "CD-ROM Masterpiece Edition" in CD-ROM Today August/September 1994, which I swear is a real magazine that actually existed at one point.

Man, I love the Internet Archive...

enbydee and adidan like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Gareth, the longer I know you the more I think you are the internet archive.

enbydee and Gareth Halfacree like this.