1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First ever job interview! Advice!

Discussion in 'General' started by olv, 30 Oct 2003.

1. olv

olv he's so bright

Haha i can imagine it now

"Dear Sir/Madam,
    Thank you for the truly great oportunity you have given me..."

*SSSSSSSHHHHHHHLLLLLLUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRPPPP*

2. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Actually, it works. In the corporate/office environment, it can even be expected. The point is not to kiss up, but to thank them for their time and to stand out from the crowd. One time I had about half a dozen interviews scheduled for a single sales position. The winning candidate was the guy who came in a full suit (it was an education toy store!) and submitted a resume (definitely not required, he was the only one to ever do that besides me when I first got hired). Going the extra mile never hurts. Let us know how it turns out.

3. olv

olv he's so bright

will do. i dont actually own a suit and would feel uncomfortable in one. Personally for me it would feel far to formal for the situation which may sound strange, its just not me! The lady who rang me made it sound like a fairly relaxed affair, or that just might be me lol.

i'll just be myself and hope for the best :D

4. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

just relax. remember they want people, that's why they advertised the position. if you have good knowledge and a good attitude, they'll hire you.

5. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

My advice is:

Dress smartly and get new shoes, clean your nails, get a haircut, shave and wear good aftershave and deodorant. DONT wear sportsocks on your interview!!

If you work in a business with a lot of interaction with people, personal hygiene is very important.

Good luck anyway!!

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Get one! Last time I looked, Dixon's staff mainly wore suits and all wore ties. Not one had on a baseball cap turned the wrong way, jeans or trainers.

You need to look like a member of the staff, not like a punter. :duh:

7. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Well I'm 15 and I was on £4.50 an hour. I need to find another job to pay for my moped. (and various computer projects)

8. batsman

batsman the quiet one

be early or on time
    confident
    smart as in well iron'ed trousers and shirts, clean shaven etc
    make lots of eye contact

9. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

Im only 17, but i work in Waterstones (bookshop here in UK) and i went to my interview wearing shirt, tie, trousers, no blazer, that i thought at the time would be over the top! but waterstones is fairly relaxed about clothing and i dont need to wear suits, or even shirts now, but if the place your aiming to work at wear suits, wear a suit to the interview, so they know your 'on the ball' as it were. :geek: So yeh and be confident! Why say 10 words when 2 will do? [puts in sig :D] Good luck.

10. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

When he asks you where you see yourelf in ten years. DO NOT say doing your daughter.. They get angry..

courtesy of family guy. :thumb:

11. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

damn man...nice figures...when i was 16-17 i got something like 3$/day for a full 12 hours of work and that was quite good in these parts of the world...
    last year, 19, i got something like 200$ a month and that seemed quite good as the whole majority of people here have something like 80$ a month minimal sallary...
    well...the prices are different here too...but i woudnt mind being paid at those rates :p

12. olv

olv he's so bright

Well i had the interview this morning. It was a fairly informal chat as i expected and i think it went pretty smoothly. I seemed to fit what they were looking for quite well.

Because i'm 17 the rate of pay is pretty appauling, £3.11 hourly rate. my jay dropped when i heard that :jawdrop: But you do get commission on everything over £20 you sell which is pretty much everything and there are monthly bonus' of up to £100 which are not dictacted by age, or position. So i hope that'd balance out at atleast £4 an hour. :sigh: bit disappointing though.

They let me know on tuesday wether i got it or not.

13. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

They didn't see that, did they?

:D

14. olv

olv he's so bright

unfortunately... yes, hehe. She said she say the look on my face, but then she explained the bonus and stufff.

15. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Just remember If the job is cool then A little pay might be better. My brother got paid $12 an hour to Set up mobile homes and such. But he had to do it in 110 degree heat and The conditions were not nice. When he worked at a movie theatre he had tons of friends and was in air conditioning and made only $6.00 but he worked much more at harkins and liked it much more. So in all if you like the job then low pay doesn't hurt to bad. ;)