1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First Gaming computer help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xanerf, 30 Nov 2008.

1. Xanerf

Xanerf What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. I'm going to by myself a pre-built gaming computer this year for Christmas and I was directed here by some friends. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Gamer Paladin 850-XZ

Case: Nzxt Lexa Blackline Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply
    Power Supply: 750 Watt -- [$20 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply Quad SLI Ready
    Processor: [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 (4x 2.66GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
    Cooling: INTEL Certified Liquid CPU Cooling System kit
    Motherboard: [SLI] eVGA Nvidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI
    Memory: 4 GB [1 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB

Does everything seem to be in order? Are there any minor improvements or upgrades I could make, or should I get a different machine all together.

To be honest, I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing here (clicking expensive things and staying under budget). My price range is around $1500, thanks in advance for any help or input!

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

what is your level of computer experince?
    The main change that I would make is to build the pc yourself instead of buying it from a site like that one. that way you can save yourself a lot of money and get an even better system.

Do you plan to overclock that cpu? If not then you dont need a watercooling setup. Air cooling will do fine and its a lot less maintance.

If you are going to overclock it then I would go for the q6600 and overclock it instead. Its cheaper so it will save you 90 bucks.

One other thing I see is that you are getting a case that comes with a psu and you are buying a psu. While its a goodthing to get a quality psu, buying a case that comes with one is a waste of money. Get a case without a psu and save some money.

I dont personally like to see 4 1gb sticks of ram, 2 2gb work better. Just from seeing people on forms asking why their system wont boot or blue screens with 4x1 gb.

thats just a few things for now. I'll wait for a responce before I put anything else.

3. Xanerf

Xanerf What's a Dremel?

Building it myself is not an option. I know how to work a computer, but that's the extent of it, I'm not mechanical. I don't plan on overclocking it, and every available case comes with a PSU, so it's kind of unavoidable. The RAM stick switch is easy enough, thanks for your input!

4. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

If its strictly for gaming I'd change the CPU to an E8*** series.

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

If you don't need SLI, I suggest you to get an Intel chipset based motherboard.

Are you sure that video card has 896MB memory? I thought all GTX260's had 512MB.

As said, ditch the liquid cooling if you don't plan to overclock a lot.

Also, I'd suggest getting a Corsair HX620 PSU, the 750 is a bit overkill and it's not modular (modular = unneeded cables can be detached to save room).

Other than that, if you can't decide on some part, you can post the available options here and we'll take a look and recommend the best one. :)

Hope this helps. :thumb:

6. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

@ mm vr the GTX 260 is 896MB

@ OP, I agree with what has been said, lower the wattage of the PSU and go modular, you could easily run an HX520 in there, drop the quad and go for an E8400. As for motherboard, I agree with mm vr, Intel chipsets are better on the whole, a P45 could possibly be cheaper but will be, well I suppose better for overclocking (even though you aren't).
    Unless you are an nVidia fanboy, go for a ATi 4870 or 4850. The 4870 (I think) is around the same price as the GTX 260 but a better card, the 4850 is cheaper, not as good but one hell of a lot cheaper.

Just a quick question, why is building it yourself not an option?

7. Xanerf

Xanerf What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Here's a link to the computer with the options I can choose from.

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=119

Basically I'm looking for the best pre-built, non-overclocked gaming computer for around $1500. My knowledge of all this is very limited unfortunately. Any other sites or computer recommendations are helpful, cause the more I look into things the more confused I get!

I can't build it myself because I'm not mechanically inclined, it'll just be a disaster. Me as a kid+legos=bad memories.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2008
  8. chrisb2e9

lol, its really not hard. The biggest problem is static, followed by the annoyance of dealing with a part arriving and it doesn't work.
    I've never had a problem with either.

Its like lego with only ten pieces and they only fit one way.

The psu choice is iffy, it doesn't say what brand it is. unless I missed it somewhere. Get the corsair 750W. Yes it does cost more but getting a good brand PSU can save the computer from instability.

I notice you still have the watercooling option selected. Again if you aren't overclocking then its a waste of money. not to mention that if you dont like the idea of putting a pc together then the watercooling shouldn't be on the list. Either the Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink or the Thermaltake MaxOrb would be good choices.

I still think you should get a 2 x 2gb kit of ram instead of 4 x 1gb

consider two 500gb drives instead of 1 1tb drive. It costs 20-30 more but it would suck to have the 1t drive fail and you lose everything. at least with the two 500gb's you can back up information if you choose to.

Is there any reason why you are getting two dvd drives? I only have one and its all I need.

the speaker choices are funny "600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass " looks like a 600 watt system but its only 16 watts. Kind of skimpy for a gaming system.

9. Annihlator

Annihlator What's a Dremel?

It's not hard at all to build the computer, most people have the biggest issue with installing the os, but that is a piece of cake too now.

Even i built my computers :)

A few things i would mention then (you would save costs massively)
    A toughpower PSU about 600w(modular!)
    I love the Asus P5K myself :)
    Corsair dominators or OCZ reapers are great memories, if you get a Q6600 as a cpu, get DDR2-1066.
    GTX280 might be within the budget maybe, else perhaps 4870 or xfx gtx260 black edition.
    for cooling the cpu i always love the arctic cooling freezer, very cheap and works great. Top-notch it Thermalright's Ultra120, but you have to purchase a fan with that.

hope it helps and we can convince you to build it yourself.
    it will also give you alot of confidence and will make you proud of your rig :p

--edit:
    static's never been a problem here, just watch out for carpets :)

10. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

And van der graaf generators :D

11. Xanerf

Xanerf What's a Dremel?

It might not be too difficult to you guys, but it'll end in disaster with me. I'd feel much safer with a pre-built one.

12. Xanerf

Xanerf What's a Dremel?

When I link the computer, the options that are selected are the default. I made the changes you suggested, it just doesn't show up in the link. Also, the PSU ordered replaces the one that comes with the case, so I'm not getting two. Here's what my specs are looking like.

Case: Nzxt Lexa Blackline Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black
    PSU: 750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply Quad SLI Ready
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
    Cooling: [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
    Mobo: [CrossFire] Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB
    Memory: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB
    HD & 2nd HD: 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]
    Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Speaker System: Logitech X-240 2.1 Configuration Speakers System

Comes to about $1600.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2008
  13. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

+1 for those

That place is a rip-off though, for example the 4870 1GB in there is 300 bucks, while on Newegg it's only 260.

But if you feel like getting that, then get it, it's your money. :)

14. chrisb2e9

yeah that looks good. should be an awsome system.

15. Xanerf

Xanerf What's a Dremel?

Alright awesome, if everything looks good I'm going to go ahead and order this today. This probably would have ended in disaster without you guys, thanks again so much for your help!

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

didn't bit-tech review a prebuilt system that wasn't awful a while back?

[EDIT]No wait, it was anandtech
    The company is called überclok, and they gave it a damn good review. Be sure to check it out before you splash that cash :)

Last edited: 1 Dec 2008