1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music First guitar?

Discussion in 'General' started by freedom810, 22 Apr 2008.

1. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Right okay,
    So for awhile now ive considered getting a guitar. The thing is i know nothing about them really. I listen to alot of classic rock like AC/DC, Aerosmith and velvet revolver etc.
    I heard electric guitars are hard to learn first, so is it best to go with a acoustic?
    What kind of brands should i be looking at, i wont have much to spend really maybe like £150 or a little higher.
    I'm sure alot of you bit'ers play the guitar so please share your experiences and give me any tips as a first time buyer/learner.
    Oh and i dont really want lessons i kinda just wanna teach myself.

Thanks alot for any replies!:thumb:

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I am gunna say one thing that i found:

I started to learn on an acoustic many years ago as i was told it is better to do that. I stopped guitar because my figers got injured cause of the acoustic. So you can start learning on an electric and it is recomended because the strings are lower down so less force is needed to pushe them onto the neck.

As for guitarsl. you said you like clasic rock soo look at epiphone guitars they are a cheap make but the guitars are excelent quiality and very nice for begginers. or if you have a lowish budget look at the starter packs as the guitars are fairly good quality and you get everyhting you need there.

that way when you feel ready to spend a little bit more money you can. I would try and spend a little bit more and go for a epiphone but it is completely upto you. as with guitars you do get what you pay for.

If you want to teach yourself its very easy now just get a mate who can play guitar to help you learn the first few easy songs so you know how to read music etc.

3. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I asked someone this today and he recommended any type of Stratocaster. Using TAB is a fun way to teach yourself as well. Guitar is one of the very few instruments which don't need much book-time or theory knowledge to have fun playing.

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Acoustics are a lot harder to play than electrics really- the music itself is probably easier, but the tougher strings and larger neck don't do you any favours. That said, a classical is what I and many other started on as the soft nylon strings really help you adapt to guitar playing and won't scare your fingers out of ever picking up the instrument again. If you're looking for a beginner electric I'd suggest going for a decent brand like Squier or a Yamaha Pacifica. You can get Encores and Staggs that look just like the real thing for a hundred quid but they certainly don't play like 'em- even the bottom end of a popular guitar make's line will be 1/2 decent, so try out a few and see which you get on best with.

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Electric is easier; narrower neck, softer strings.

Tabs, yes! I can't even read proper sheet music. :p

Whatever amp you get, remember to overclock it. OK, so write 11 on all the controls.

Strat copies are nice to start with IMO. Don't get a flying V!

Oh, and ACDC is great to learn with; some real easy but nice sounding riffs. Check the tab for Hell's Bells.

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

1 more thing dont do the american thing

And assume just cause you have comleted expert on guitar hero ther you will be amazing at guitar. You wont be

8. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Wow really fast replied, it'll be awhile till i get one. But i think its pretty clear electric is the way to go.
    Thanks for the replies so far its great to have experienced people advising me ^^

Oh i plan on getting guitar hero, but i know about that i watched an interview with slash and he made it clear its nothing like the real thing :D its just fun to think it is i guess, i surpose that'll keep me going.

9. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

lol the South Park guitar hero episode was hilarious...

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I'm exactly the opposite... I play bass and acoustic guitar (among others) and I SUCK at guitar hero...

11. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I'm supposed to be quite the muso - i play drums, bass, guitar, keyboard, mandolin etc etc...

But I would definately go for an electric, its just so much easier! Once you've gotten to a comfortable level on the electric, then by all means try out the acoustic - but it will feel like a completely alien instrument.

I'm trying to get into bass properly now, and its going alright.

Joe

12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Never mind about the Squiers, get yourself in to Soundcontrol and pick up a Schecter. Miles better for the money, easy to play and sounds very nice. Was my first guitar and it still gets used the most out of the 3 I have now.

13. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: go in a shop and play some. It's not quite as applicable here, as you don't know how to play, but in my experience most shops will be willing to demo their equipment for a newbie and point you in the right direction. Mom and Pop type stores are better than chains in this regard.

Acoustic is much harder to play than electric. Some people say to start there because then the jump to electric is easier, but they're really two different instruments. You will have more fun the easier it is at the start, and I recommend electrics to start with. My first guitar was a squier strat, which is kinda the standard learning guitar. It served me fairly well. Anything in this price range ($200-300, I dunno what prices are like in the UK) should be fine, there is some good competition to the squiers but I haven't really taken a look in a long time.

14. Matticus

Matticus ...

Get a yamaha pacifica. They are really excelent strat copies they where voted best guitar for under £200 by a few mags and they cost around £110, so its a pretty obvious choice.

I got one from a friend and it had been abused but its still so much nicer than my brothers squire strat. Its really lightweight and the neck and fretboard are brilliant, especially if you are just starting.

Either that or an epiphone les paul the special II is nice and well priced, the neck is quite wide so it may be hard if you have small hands, but it really is a brilliant guitar. I would advise against an SG, I find them to be a bit difficult to play, they have the same wide sort of neck as a les paul but they are more rounded, even with my huge gorilla hands I dont feel confortable playing one.

Dont just look at GAK, theres also dolphin music, andertons, thomann and tons of others.

And accoustic vs electric. electric is so much easier to play, much less effort and you have to be less precise with your fingering. Also you can play late at night with only the slightest of noise.
    Like a few have said, accoustic is basically a completly different instrument, good for learning chords and getting into good habits, some say the ease of electric in comparason can mean you develop bad fingering techniques, but I dont really buy it, other than maybe less strong fingertips.

15. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

i started with a epiphone sg and love it. ive been told by many it plays like a true Gibson. put that through a stompbox into a good amp and ur set

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Firstly anyone reccomending a strat copy is an idiot, unless its a squire fat strat copy, please dont get one.

secondly, think, if you are really into the idea of buying a guitar wouldnt you want to learn something you dont have to plug in, i spent 4 years on acoustic guitar before making the transition, i frankly think that was time well spent, learning scales, breaking my hands in before i went to an easier to play instrument.

an acoustic guitar will give your hand the strength to fret more wider chords, faster (9ths im talking about). as for the selection of guitars i would reccomend (begrudgingly) the epi as they are quite solid, good value for money however i wouldn't buy it on the internet, as you cant see what you will recieve through the post. go play a ton of guitars under £200 and pick the one is the best made, has the best sounding electronics, has the best feel of neck.

also think about your amp as well as its another expense you have to really think about, because a shite guitar through a shite amp is discouraging, a shite guitar through a halfdecent amp is encouraging. my money wouldn't go on anything from marshall, i would look for a decent modelling amp like a line spider3 or a roland cube, as both can be had for cheaply and are loaded with different tones so you can discover what you like.

also dont be swayed by starter packages, they are cheap for a reason :)

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Epiphone SG-310. I love mine.

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

Why would you stay away from marshall? For a touch over £100 you can get an MG30DFX which for the money is an amazing amp. Plus if he is spending £150 he wants to spend almost all of that on a guitar and just have no amp for a few months, then he will will have a pretty decent guitar and a pretty decent amp.

The roland cube and the spider 3 are ok because they are small and have a lot of effects, but effects are not what you want/need when you start playing guitar, loads of effects and unnatural sounds mask bad or completly wrong tuning. Plus if you crank up any cheap modelling amp it is going to sound terrible, I have used a line6 vetta which is obsenly expensive, yet it just doesnt have the clarity of sound at high volumes that a better solid state or valve amp has . If you cant recommend marshall and you are telling him to get a modelling amp with tons of presets then you clearly have no idea how to set up an amp.

Also if you read the thread "I listen to alot of classic rock like AC/DC, Aerosmith and velvet revolver etc."

You dont see any of them uses modelling amps, and you can bet that if you did a google image search on any of those bands live you would see the backwalls lined with marshalls, vox and other simalar amp manurfactures.

19. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I have the marshall MG30DFX and i think it excelent littleish amp because it sounds excelent and is very user friendly.

20. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

Good luck to you man.

I recommend if you got some one who can lone you one to see if you can deal with the finger pain and to find out what you like.
    If not
    Yamaha pacifica (excellent guitar at a great price)
    If you get more money or you find out you wnat to be in this for the long haul
    Ibanez GRG170DX JB

As far as amp goes whatever you can afford at around 20-30 range.

Tags: