1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First installation of a cpu, help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jiffey, 1 Jan 2002.

1. Jiffey

Jiffey What's a Dremel?

I'm in need of an Alpha heatsink for a 1.4 I'm getting. Can someone tell me which model to get and a US site that won't break my wallet to buy from? I'm using a KT7A-Raid, I've heard you have to wedge it in pass some capacitators on this motherboard? Also, do I need to buy arctic silver2 and do all that myself. This is my first time having to put the cpu in myself, so any tips would be much appreciated.

2. Jiffey

Jiffey What's a Dremel?

Ok, looks like I'll use plycon or pcmods. What's the difference between 3pin and 4pin tails for the fan and if I'm using a delta how do I wire it to use a moles connector?

3. Ruffian

Ruffian What's a Dremel?

I suggest the Alpha PAL8045.

www.2cooltek.com

they have them for pretty cheap. You should 3 to 4 pin adapter unless the fan is already a 4 pin or if it already comes with one. You should do this because most likely, the motherboard wont be able to supply enough power to the fan.

4. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

wont he need to put another 3 pin fan on header 1? sum boards wont boot if u dont, isnt the Kt7a one of them?

5. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

I second the PAL8045 recommendation. I use one (see sig again).

The KT7A can have the fan 1 protect feature disabled in all BIOS versions since YH, or some early one like that. Certainly for a 1.4GHz Athlon you want to be running 4A or 64.

I use a mechatronics fan, which is fitted with a 3-pin header which only has the monitoring wire connected to it, and a 4-pin connector for its power. Recommended.

6. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Yep i recommend the Alpha as well :D

Got mine this weekend, all I can say is h00000000ge thing it is, even dwarfs the Taisol 760 which is quite a big cooler compared to a lot of the all copper ones! I am getting a Mechatronics fan for it as well :) if RTT will order one for me that is!

:cool:

7. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Go for it will2k65. I don't think you'll be disappointed! High-quality, dual-connector 80mm fan, for £7 (OCS)!!!

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Yeah RTT is gonna order me one i think (my dad wont let me order anything else until i get the rest of my stuff working properly....and i'm still waiting on a replacement PSU)

:)

9. Jiffey

Jiffey What's a Dremel?

Alright, I'm getting an Alpha PAL8045, Sunon 80mm fan (I use what's available, and they're good enough for me), arctic silver II, and the 1.4ghz. woo. Isaac, I don't have the best cooling setup, I might take it to 1500 or 1550mhz if I can.

10. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

To be honest, in my experience with 1.4GHz TBirds and PAL8045s, as long as you've got reasonable case cooling, thermal compound (AS/AS2/AA), you'll make 1.6GHz easy.

I dare say my CPU could run faster than it does, if I was to drop my FSB. But....why would I want to do that?!

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

I recommend the PAL8045 too, but Ive got the Sanyo Denki fan.... Mechatronics costs about 1/2 the price tho, so Id go for that... as for my TBird.... It isnt a good overclocker at all, the max I got out of it was 1.56Ghz, with FSB @ 124 no point, when at 1.54 it was running much faster cos of the 140Mhz FSB... however, the CPU doesn't like the FSB that high for some reason... the RAM is fine... its Crucial PC133 CAS2 garaunteed to 150Mhz CAS2.... I got the ruff end of the stick on my CPU I spose :/

Anyways, wont be long till I go for something a bit sharper... when I get the new mobo... :D *the dizzy heights of an XP1900+ and a KR7A-R more than likely* ;)

BiGGiE