1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Asus P5Q3 & Maximus II Formula

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 May 2008.

1. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Your heading for the Maximus Formula section says "Maximum Formula"...

;)

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

photo/screenshot when reviewing the board would be much appreciated! :clap:

if it is as easy to use and as solid as the Abit uGuru, the Maximus 2 Formular will be my last LGA775 board, along with an mouse upgrade (need a better mouse than a value PS2 mouse)

3. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

WOW I have to say that the Maximus II Formula II looks tasty, they both do. As for Asus I have had quite a mixed bag recently when buying Asus mobo's :|

Dont quite understand why in so many respects the Maximus II Formula II looks so incredible, but at the same time still uses blue and white connectors (scratches head.....). If they were black and red people would be dizzy in love!

Have a great weekend :D

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There is a LOT of "official" **** flinging at the moment and I have been told stuff from both companies which I can not repeat - one thing to say is at least the TWese are gentlemen about it, even if written text does sound cutting. BOTH companies claims the other is wrong though - the slides on Toms are completely contradicted by slides I have from Asus. What I will be doing at Computex is trying to get to the bottom of it, or, at least learn how to test their claims properly in real world situations the bit-tech way.

To be honest, I hadn't expected the tons of new software features being released and it's inevitably going to put my reviews back because I will want to try to do them as complete as possible.

5. jvjh666

jvjh666 Stillnomodder

what does this actually means:confused:

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seems like most BIOS revisions from ASUS are beta these days. Is there even a non-beta BIOS revision for the original Maximus Formula yet?

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

That means that the Hybrid SLi and Hybrid Power are only supported on the newest nForce chipset, currently limited to AMD boards

The Intel versions are released soon and they'll also support it!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Telling me - when we originally reviewed it we had all number of problems. Eventually we went live with a good but "meh" score, then further BIOS revisions came out that were better. However, the board had already been on sale for a month at this point.

9. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

Curiosity question time: what's the model number of that Sil chipset? The Silicon Image website doesn't list a product that specifically jumps-out and says 'I do fakeraid, yet non-fakeraid array spoofing to the OS', and Asus don't appear to have the specs up yet.

Missing your review-style image with all the components numbered! :D

10. TomH

Bumpety-bump. Quite surprised no-one else (particularly those in the Linux circles) would like to know the answer to this, either!

Also: was there any mention of 10GigE in the ICH10R bridge? :)

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No mention of 10GigE, but then again I've still not had a peep out of Intel.

It's Sil5723

I don't do the number thingy in first looks - it takes too long to put together. It's really just a splash and dash because quite often layouts and sometimes chipsets change ;)

12. TomH

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff. The Sil-Image site lists the product as not requiring any drivers, and from what I can tell, it's almost (if not actually) a true hardware-RAID solution. Everything but the insane throughput figures.

I'd love to see some simple testing of it in the full review, if you have the time. :D

As for Intel: I'm fairly certain 10GigE is possible in ICH10, but it's whether or not anyone chooses to implement it. You'd have to dedicate at least 4x PCI-E lanes to one single feature, just to feed a technology that nearly no-one's going to use (or use to its full effect). Suppose it's wishful thinking to see it this early-on. :)

Edit: Just found some details about another upcoming P45-based board. This Gigabyte uses two of the twin-port SiI5723 chips, each fed from a single JMicron SATA-300 channel. They're just port-multiplied. However, 150MB/sec is still more than enough for each drive, particularly when you get the benefit of hardware RAID. :)

Someone's finally done it. No more dmraid for me. :D

Last edited: 26 May 2008
  13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I woudnt expect to see that implemented in any desktop board this year, maybe Asus will bring out one that has it in their Workstation line... but the cost of it would be high, you would need storage media that can feed it (whats the point in the netwrok being faster than the hdd anyway?), not to mention that there is currently no 10gig network hw avalaible for the home market.

14. TomH

Indeed, and (as above) I do agree. I've done a lot of research into 10GigE recently, and one of the things I can say from it is that someone needs to take the first step into the mainstream with it. Which might as well be Intel.

Gigabit was deemed pretty pointless at one point (and still is, really), so it's the same-old story. Still, I'd like to see the more mass-adopted hardware appearing sooner rather than later.

With the possibility of ICH10R coming with 10GigE, it also means that the server-class boards could soon be shipped with >Gigabit NICs. This is a good thing for SOHO NAS/SAN on the cheap! :)

15. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

Bumping this a bit late perhaps... But still, since Bit-tech haven't reviewed the Maximus II Formula yet... Will you please confirm stability with 8 Gb RAM, using all four slots? Referring of course to the recent article on memory, in which you used the P5Q Deluxe. A darn shame to, with the stability issues running 8 Gb / 4 DIMMs, since I was thinking of buying that particular board. Also, is there any real world performance difference between 2x16 PCI-E channels and 2x8, using for example two Radeon HD 4850/70 in CF?

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

with Rampage Formula at £187.99 and Maximus 2 Formula at £182.11. i am not sure why Maximus is so expensive.

would have left corssfire option open if gone £5 more for Rampage. can Bittech explain why would one want to sacrafice 2 full x16 PCIe speed for Maximus 2 at same cost?

Tags: Add Tags