1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Look: Asus Striker Extreme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Nov 2006.

1. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

ive got a bit of a concern about the pci slots, now while most people wont be using 3 cards as theres no point now, and i know thin coolers will be possible at a later date.. high end cards always have dual slot coolers now, so 3 of them will wipe out every slot bar the 1 pci-ex1 slot which may aswell be a isa slot the amount of use they are

2. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

that is such a nice board but as already stated, so much money. it really is rediculous

3. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

abit IN9 32X-MAX £165, Asus Striker £260.
    Can there really be £95 worth of difference? ...

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

we'll have to see, but as I say... I think the price of the Striker will drop once it's available. :)

5. RTT

RTT #parp

I've seen this thing in person. The switches and LEDs and things are damn nice/useful/cool :D

6. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

really an amazing mobo i just hope the price gets a little(a lot)lower so i can THINK on buying one do you know when they will become available on Portugal ?

7. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

perhaps I missed it, however I didnt see any mention of how many voltage regulators were on the board.. anyone know?

edit: nevermind.. Asus's website has it listed as an 8 phase board

Last edited: 23 Nov 2006
  8. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes, it's 8-phase :)

9. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Looking at the board shot, the memory clips are ever so slightly different on the white sockets, Is there a reason behind that, or just abit of extra clippyness ?

[​IMG]

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the board is awesome... the lights.... the functionality..... but it is really expensive, don't count on me to buy this at this price.

edit: the heat pipes should also be more flux to the board.... and the fins should be less high... so i can fit any cooler in there.... and that ATA socket has to move to another location or even rotate 90º.

11. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Anyone looking to spend this sorta money on a systemboard, i doubt will be using IDE still.
    Theres a few lovely SATA DVDRWs on the market now, which mean you can disable the IDE Controller, and freeup clock cycles on a decaying interface.

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Are there? When I buyilt my computer a year ago there was only the Plextor PX-716SA. I haven't seen any others available since. I really wish someone would release a SATA Lightscribe drive. And for that matter, why not SATA floppy drives?

SATA optical drives are available, but so far they're not anywhere near mainstream. until that changes, they do need at least one and preferably two IDE channels on mobos.

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Your preview made the news page here :thumb:

14. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I have a question about the blue Pci-e slots operating @ 16x whilst the white is 8x and is in between the blues making a huge gap, even more than a dual slot card is needed.... My question is if the Sli connecter is long enough to reach the two cards and if so, are the Chaps at ASUS wanting people to go over their physics or X-fi cards?

"Ich viese nich"

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I photographed the first of the two Strikers I received (they're both early pre-production boards) since the second was running some tests at the time - the second one has all of the memory clips the same size as the clips on the white slots. I don't think there's a reason behind the different clip sizes. :thumb:

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

The SLI connector is huge but still floppy (rofl, I can't believe I just said that) and is long enough not to get in the way of any cards you might install between two dual-slot video cards. Here's a size comparison - the smaller connector is what Asus ships with boards that have two slots between the two PCI-Express x16 slots.

[​IMG]

installed:

[​IMG]

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Im surprised there 'Floppy' SLI connections, my EVGA SLI bridge is 'Hard' (hum, that ok for this site? :D )

Sam

Edit: Will a Storm 4 Waterblock or any waterblock for that matter be ok to use on this board, i mean will the Heatpipes be cool enough, as i dont spot any fans to help cool it.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2006
  18. Tim S

Tim S OG

there's a fan that comes with the bundle to install on one of the heatpipes - similar to the one first included with the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Sorry to annoy, but its not £250 as you put it, as i discovered here Not to bad a price now :D

Sam

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There's not nearly as many sata as ide agreed, but they are readily available.

LiteOn DVDRW sata
    Samsung with Lightscribe

I'm hoping to change my 3 pata optical drives for equivalent sata.

Tags: Add Tags