1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look at USB 3 Performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 18 Dec 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unless the price of cables comes down or it gets some killer peripheral, I expect it won't be mainstream.

Where's the necro-thread meme?

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

[​IMG]

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Well since this thread is revived anyway. What do you think of USB3.0. Personally I have thought we would be overrun with USB3. peripherals a year ago but still there is not much to go by. Not even Pro audio recording hardware is having much USB3 love.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The industry wide inter-compatibility and uniformity of performance of the standard is frankly not that great. Not to mention; not all cables are made equally. Unfortunately it doesn't help that Intel is only just upgraded its chipsets with it as they usually set the standard for quality and reliability (and now have done imo). I'm not up to speed about why Pro audio isn't giving it the love, but I assume that people get locked into certain development cycles that prevent large changes unless there's a hugely compelling reason to. What do they use now?

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Well-Known Member

It's fully time for me to upgrade to 3.0 external storage.

It's made me feel a bit sick that this article was 2009 and I'm still using 2.0 pen drives and external HDs :|.

6. chris66

chris66 Member

I have two of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OWGK3M/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

They hold 2x2TB HDD's each and have our entire DVD/BR/music collection for our HTPC. Seems to work very well - there is a vast difference in speed compared to USB2 when copying files from one disk to another.

Tags: Add Tags