1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: EVGA W555 dual-Xeon motherboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Jan 2010.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Most likely it has the price premium of a mac, tho it doesn't run of lap top parts to increase price further. Probally melt a macs case xD

2. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Maybe this is what we need to get ARMA2 to 10000 viewdistance and max settings at 1920x1280

3. Leopoldo

Leopoldo What's a Dremel?

EVGA have just gone over to the ridiculous

If you are drooling at the mouth over the ability to overclock 24 threads you must be some kind of weirdo or saddo to have a fetish for hardware, its a nice hobby but there is no need to get carried away, its as though some people would sleep with motherboards like these.

EVGA is very clever though they know how to crowbar every last penny out their enthusiast fanbase, those that just forked out for 4 GTX 285 Classifieds (why anyone would want this card this late in the game is beyond me, its not eligible for Step Up as its a TR also) and their "so last year" EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI will be falling over each other tp buy this and they will happily buy a pair of 55xx Xeons even though they just bought about 10 920 D0's trying to get an extra 100MHz on their OC.

I liked EVGA and i liked what they did with the Classified 3-Way but i am not sure if its the lack of hardware releases over the past year and genuine upgrades that have forced EVGA to find anything that give the illusion that this new product is something better, but i guess anything thats not a month old will be considered better for some of EVGAs fanbase, alot of them who owned EVGA's top offering at the time the Classified 3-Way were panicking when the EVGA X58 LE came out, thinking because it was new it must be better than the Classified and thus it must be something they wanted, they soon calmed down when they foudn out that this was EVGA's lower-end mainstream board which is meant to be positioned below both the Classified and the original E758 3x SLI board.

Also the fact that intel seems to be locking the platforms down for the release of the 6cores its maybe a good idea to go for this board, the X58 will only accept Desktop Core i7's when it comes to the 6 cores and it seems the server 55xx series chipsets will only accept Xeon 6 cores. Since the Desktop 6 core i7 will only come out in extreme edition it seems those with the X58 are being locked out from being able to grab one of the cheaper Xeon 6 core SKU's that will come out. This may be Intel trying to breath some life and value back into their Extreme Edition range without penalizing their server market (i doubt they would be happy with only a single top-end SKU to choose from). I can see Intels i7 Extreme Edition being a 6 core / 12thread and their mainstream offering will again be 4 core / 8 thread CPU's, meaning if you go extreme you get the additional cores and e-peen inches of the 6 Core 980X.

Still with all those power connectors on the board its ridiculous and to think someone would actually consider folding on this monster board is beyond me unless they get a government grant for their electricity bill, you dont need the most power set-up about to fold but it seems some people have become more obsessed with the Points Per Day than what folding is actually about, helping to find a cure for cancer(s) but if thats what gets them going then i guess if they arent hurting anyone else fair enough. It seems some have something lacking in their lives and try to plug the hole with folding, setting-up a monster folding rig (a folding "farm"...) to make them feel important or they are somehow a "scientist" and this is their scientific equipment? I commend people who fold as/when its possible/conceivable for them to do so but i am a bit wary of those people who seem to be consumed by folding.

I guess Shamino must love the fact hes got a whole department dedicated to allowing him to live out his fantasies and hes getting paid for it.

Some people need to get a grip, why do some people think this board is the most amazing thing ever or they "must have it", do you really think its going to enhance your life or make you feel any better, will looking at it through your windowed side panel really give you a boost, thinking "wow look at my motherboard and those 2 CPU sockets, thats so awesome, i am awesome, its a pitty no one else comes in this room to see just how awesome it is and how awesome it makes me look".

Last edited: 30 Jan 2010
  4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Do you realise what forums you are in?

[​IMG]

5. Leopoldo

yes, i read bit-tech, i build my own computers but i dont start drooling at the mouth over a piece of hardware.

I own hardware it doesnt own me.

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Yet you call those that do Saddo's and Weirdo's?

[​IMG]

7. Leopoldo

yes those that get excited/stimulated by hardware to me seem strange, sorry if that offends you. You obviously have the right to think someone who doesnt get excited/stimulated by hardware is a saddo/weirdo/strange also though, if you do i would consider that your opinion and fair enough.

I didnt realize bit-tech was only for those who do get excited/stimulated by hardware so if thats the case my apologies for barging in on you (dont worry though, i didnt see anything :D )

anyway i will leave it there before i get accused of being a troll of some sort.

8. hazydave

hazydave What's a Dremel?

This might be overkill for a desktop system. Or not.. it depends. I'm not unhappy with my quad core desktop, with 8GB of DRAM I don't usually have memory problems. But it's still pretty time consuming to render production quality AVC video for Blu-Ray creation... thinking of 8 or even 16 cores, I can imagine things going much faster.

Of course, if you're buying this puppy, you're looking for things other than just a dual core motherboard. You might be planning to put a few GPU-based computer-only cards in there, as well as the usual GPU/graphics card. But there are other uses for PCI Express. Maybe you want a 10GE network connection, or a SAN, or Infiniband (for networking and SAN on the same fabric)... there are plenty of x4 and x8 PCIe cards around for higher end computing functions. You can hardly complain about having enough slots in this bad boy.

9. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I find that deeply offensive, I have yet to find a piece of new tech that smells as good as a MK1 GTX295, a rubbery texture with hints of nuttness and freshly forged silicon and PCB... for the first few week when we got them in I had to smell each one 'just to be sure'.

10. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

Finally EVGA managed to make the RAM slots Parallel to the PCIe slots , this layout allow a easy pathway for the airflow to cool the components on the motherboard , ALL enthusiasts motherboards MUST be build with the RAM slots PARALLEL to the PCIe slots

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Enthusiast boards are usually meant for LN2 and/or DICE, which makes airflow direction pretty redundant.

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I get hard walking past my dual celeron clocked at 533...

the big kick with that board though was that I could use cheap parts to out perform a more expensive system so this board looks of little interest.

mmm dual celeron

excuse me please

13. kelemvor

kelemvor What's a Dremel?

Exactly what I have been looking for. I'm currently running a Dual XEON system on Supermicro x8dah+-F and have been desperately looking for a replacement which supports SLI so I can put two or more of the upcoming GTX 480's on it. I hope this thing is available near the gtx 480 launch timeframe.

System details: http://www.evga.com/community/ModsRigs/comment.asp?sysid=19667

I'm extra pleased that not only does it support overclocking but it's EVGA (one of my favorite companies to buy from due to their excellent support/warranty policies).

Thanks for posting this article; you guys made my day!

14. pavka

pavka What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Anyone tell me which 2x 6 cores xeon from the new ones (16 march) are best (i mean best price)

Also there are any cheap ddr3 non ecc in 4gb?

And question about ssd - can i add 2 x pcie raid controllers to make 2 x raid 0 (4 ssd drives each) or it is possible on 1 x 8 raid controller? to make 2 x 4 ssd raid 0?

And how about price for this MB? about... $$$ and when available? :)

Regards
    P.

Tags: Add Tags