1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits First Look: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Jun 2009.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Apple sell hardware and generate a far higher revenue from hardware sales than software, MS mainly sell software :rolleyes:

That made me laugh.. so what about OSX 10.0 till 10.5 (with Snow Leopard being 10.6 I'm assuming)? Are they not ALL the same exact OS with upgrades and tuning and crap? :lol:

I love Apple, they're the biggest hypocrites I know, but they still manage to get people to believe their crap and then go around being prats telling everyone else.

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Was just going to highlight this...

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

"The most advanced operating system"

That can't run the vast majority of games and software.

4. Vittorio

Vittorio What's a Dremel?

@Boogle

Apple hardware is very reliable I still have a 15 year old mac that starts up and runs perfectly. The optical drives do have an emergency eject button inside the slot. The batteries being built in allows for a larger battery to be included with has a longer life 1,000 charge cycles and all for the same size and weight unit. I would like to see a business class windows laptop with upto 7 hours usage.

I code C++ both for Windows and Mac. I use Visual Studio and Xcode to produce apps. Visual Studio does crash and when it does it normally results in rebooting the machine. Yes you can crash Xcode but normally thats down to bad coding. OSX or its Apps dont crash anywhere near as much as Windows, I can close a windows app and have it bring up the VS debugger on a regular basis.

The difference between to two is simple, You pick the one YOU want to use, I have to have both but there again I run them both on Apple Hardware. I use apple because I can get the job done without the problems that come bundled with Windows. If I want to play games then I turn one of the many consoles I own on. Even M$ likes apple because they have included a few of OS X's features in windows 7, and just like Vista I will not be buying Windows 7.

When you buy Microsoft you have to buy Antivirus, Anti Malware, A decent mail app and so much more. Go to Linux you get the OS free you get very few threats with Virus's and so much more. The big thing you wont be getting is a good deal on Win 7 if you already own Vista.

5. saint.duo

saint.duo What's a Dremel?

Apple's developer conference has always had snarky comments about Microsoft products. Its a building full of Mac devs and usually the audience laughs; hence why they do it.

I've been fixing PCs and Macs for about 12 years now. Apple's internal build quality is higher than most PCs overall, and I've probably seen the best and worst of both.

I personally prefer my macs, but I have both in my household. Its a tool, pick the one that works best for you.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can't wait to install hackintosh of this for my GTX260 :)

wait, by then, Dx11 cards will be out and OSX will be outdated again...... come on Apple, work harder on those drivers.

IMHO the Mac OSX system is better than Windows, but that's only because it's built on Unix. Linux is also better, but its interface needs too much user customisation to make working with it feel natural.

7. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

Gee I wish I could afford to own a Apple so I could pay $29 for a cleverly named service pak, man what a ripoff.

8. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

One thing I haven't found answered anywhere is what version of OpenGL does it ship with. OpenGL 3.1 hopefully. It would fit in nicely with their streamlined approach to apps in this version.

9. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Poor Apple.

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Looks good from the little overview :), I love leopard so this is just icing on the cake :) woop.

Also $29 for the upgrade is peanuts :), bring forth September :).

11. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

What does that have to do with the OS? I'm not a huge fan of dell mice or keyboards either. I use the deathadder on my mac(although it works without installing drivers, not so much on the pc). Its just as easy to use different peripherals than what comes with the computer.

12. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I find it hard to trust a company which thought that mouse was a good idea...

13. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

There are plenty of old Russian cars with terrible build quality that are working over 15 years after manufacture. Same with PCs. Do not try and 'fish' for an eject 'button' inside the slot, you will scratch the CD. Let me just stop you there and say there isn't one, and I know this for 3 reasons: 1. It's not in the Apple support documentation and 2. when I disassembled the drive to remove the disk, there wasn't one, and 3. Online discussions on this topic revealed that Apple have actively asked the OEMs to remove the emergency eject since the same manufacturers offer almost identical drives with said emergency eject functionality.

You've been drinking way too much Apple marketing kool-aid. They will always turn a negative into a great new 'feature'. The ThinkPad T400 I'm writing on right now has a 4-5 hour real-use battery life with the standard 6-cell. With an upgraded 9-cell I can get 10 hours, TEN, that's real use not maketing tat. One review tested it a bit more fully and found with the same battery you can game solidly using the discrete Radeon graphics for 3hrs. You'll find all modern 14" business-class laptops with similiar sized batteries are all hovering around the 7-10hr mark. 15" laptops are lower at 7hrs (no 10hr miracles). 17" lower still, but then again, Apple never got more than 3-4hrs real life out of their 17" either - just no one told their marketing team... or did they?

Build quality is a lot more than just nicely laid out cables and a fancy chassis. It's the ability to replace anything at any time easily and quickly - and under normal circumstances the system is somewhat resiliant to external damage / poor treatment. I'll take ThinkPads as an example, since I've found them to be pretty exceptionally engineered. You can get a full hardware document that gives you instructions on how to replace absolutely any part, the screen, the keyboard, CPU, wireless modules, etc. etc. Replacing the biggest components can usually be done very quickly. Optical drive in about 10 seconds, HD in 2-3 minutes, RAM in 2-3 minutes, battery in 10 seconds. I like to think of it this way: If the HD breaks, I don't have to go through a complicated process, and in laptops HDs are extremely vulnerable. I also don't have the worry that 1000 cycles later my laptop is useless away from a power point. Or the terrifying worry that the optical drive swallows a disc and it's a unibody laptop so I have to send it off to Apple and probably pay a lot of money. That is the one thing that really scares me about the unibody macbooks.

I'm not picking soley on Apple here though. There are many TERRIBLE Windows PCs and Laptops, but they're cheap and don't boast about their build quality. If you boast about your build, it should be something special - not just pretty. Anyone can route cables and manufacture everything to be placed just right. But not anyone can prevent people's legs being burnt or that the system is easily maintainable. But who wants maintainable when one of your primary income is hardware sales?

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm still using my 3 year old Dell XPS M1210 and you would have to shoot me in the face to force me to use a Mac

I can't say they're sht because I never used one, but the single fact that I would be tagged as a Mac user makes me a little sick inside. Plus, what the hell is wrong with Windows anyway ? It works perfectly well in my opinion

EDIT:

Macs are like diesel cars, you can't talk about them without starting a debate about what's better than what

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

There are plenty of excellent open source projects for Antivirus, Anti Malware, and mail for windows. Most, better than what you can buy.

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Apple supports DirectX?

18. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

OSX supports directx? since when

19. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

QFT!

20. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

Old news... *yawn*.. Opera did it a long time ago and they did it first.

Tags: Add Tags