1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Zotac H55-ITX WiFi

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 Feb 2010.

1. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan New Member

I think the Zotac boards fill a niche in the market for CarPC's where a small form factor but large number of features is quite important. I'm currently using their old 9300-itx board in my car and it's been fantastic so far.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

only downside to these boards is the lack of expansion slots. It seems a waste to buy an H55 board over P55 to run a discrete GPU considering the main feature of H55 is intagrated graphics on i3/i5. Since your only getting one expansion slot surely a standard PCI-E or even a PCI slot would be better for HTPC users.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

An x16 slot is backward compatible to x8/x4/x2/x1 so you can put in what you like. Fancy a performance RAID card that uses an x8 connector for example: this is compatible :)

4. Nature

Nature Member

Why would any mobo manufacturer have wifi onboard!? WHAT A USELESS FEATURE..... I COULDN'T SEE WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT WIFI ON THE ITX FORMAT OR ANY OTHER..................................... THEY MIGHT AS WELL PUT USB 3.0 and SATA 6GBS ON IT AS WELL TO MAKE IT EXTRA USELESS. ..... :D

For bindi

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually wireless is quite useful...imagine, you no longer need to run that damn ethernet cable to your server upstairs!

7. Nature

Nature Member

Quote: In reference to DFI MI P55-T36 mini-ITX motherboard review
    Originally Posted by Nature
    Mr. Swinburne Me thinks you over scored the features since it has no built in WiFi, sata 6gb/s, or usb 3.0. All things you'd want in a media cube under the TV.

Bindibadgi
    "Mr. Nature. I respect your opinion, however you will NOT need any of those things. :)"

Sorry bindi, I do love you... Don't hate me!!!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HAHAHA :D:D:D

Well played Sir, well played.

You are correct you do not NEED them, but they are a nice to have if you WANT them ;) People above have been saying "how much without wifi" ;)

The DFI is a performance board with performance chipset and OC BIOS profiles - the Zotac H55 here is more geared towards HTPC/general box. We see wireless as a bonus (depends on cost!!), not a must :):)

It completely depends how good your connection is. I've tried it just two rooms away and have given up. Wired still wins for reliability, even over powerline networking which is so hit and miss.

9. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk New Member

or better yet, you can use this board AS a server, and setup the wireless as an Access point.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

True it really is down to how good the signal is. So it is a hit.miss

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

As networking seems to be popping up may I ask what the bandwidth limits of RJ45 network cable is? Can the actual cable handle network connections of above the current high end of Gigabit LAN or would you have to use a different medium such as Fibre Optic Cable for greater speeds?

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

should be good for 50m with cat5 and bit more with cat5e or cat6 (100m)

in the past RAID was needed to stress an gigabit line one F3 or F1 types of hard disks at both ends can nearly do it (intel or Nvidia Hardware network cards been able to get 120MB/s, not sure if boradcom and marvel,(VIA) have got there to work at full speed over network)

no need for more then 100MB/s at the moment find unless your move 50gb often gb over an network

13. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

Cheers leexgx...

Over this next year I am looking to set up a full home network with various machine for different things all over the house. For this reason I am currently thinking and planning wireing up the place for network sockets incorporated within the power socket housings. I don't want to start spending money and wasting time buy going the wrong route for future proofing the network, and would rather go over the top and that was still viable 10 years from now.

With internet speeds continuing to increase and talk of massive Fibre Optic work to be carried out over the next few years surely there must be a new high end standard above Gigabit Ethernet due to raise the bar, especially as HDDs also gain speed increases and SSDs become more widely available at more affordable price points.

Is there a future life for the actual RJ45 network socket? Will we start to see Fibre Optic or some other alternative network cards?

14. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Well-Known Member

this sort of thing makes me want a sff gaming box as my next rig. As much as I like my p190 it's too big to take anywhere......

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

This looks f****** sweet! BTW, I thought I was one of the few to have found that OrigenAE case. :)

16. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

As long as the speed is comparable to full ATX, as far as i'm concerned the smaller the board, the better ;-)
    Even at a higher pricing

Ever tried routing a TOSlink cable further than within a hifi rack? Putting something with 10cm bend radius through a few rooms doesn't make you smile. :thumb:
    Network cable (for in-wall mounting) can be stuffed into corners and kinks quite brutally and still function.

Though arguably if you're going through the hassle of in-wall mounting or the ever popular (offices) under floor mounting, the thinner fibre optics cable would work well too

Last edited: 22 Feb 2010
  17. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

i think everyone is getting over excited by the wireless N feature. Yes it gives you a better range and better transfer speeds locally or to the router, but it isnt full proof, and infact some terraced houses still dont get that much more signal boost to regular G speeds, (even after fiddling with the signal channels).
    It is good dont get me wrong, and parking in a mcdonalds car park to pick up 'the cloud' network and browse the internet will give benefits to car computers, but not everyone has N speed routers. :/

18. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

this, or one of those media player box for ~$100?

hmm........

19. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok New Member

I've had my eyes on this board for a tiny, low-power quiet desktop linux system in an Antec ISK 300-65 case since pictures of it first popped up at the beginning of the year.

It has every single feature I would want in a motherboard - including the bundled wifi-n. :) I'd happily pay $150 for it. However, given that their G43 ITX board sells for less than Intel's own G45 ITX board, I'm hoping it will be closer to $100 than $150.

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Im starting to like the smaller boards more and more, now to shrink the performing graphics cards down to a similar respectable size and we will be in business. ^_^

Tags: Add Tags