1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding First Mod ** 56K Warning **

Discussion in 'Modding' started by i386, 25 Feb 2004.

1. i386

i386 What's a Dremel?

I've been lurking here most of the time but I'd like to share what I've done so far.

Specs:
    Chieftec Dragon Case
    Enermax EG465AX-VE (W) FCA 460W
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 2.2GHz
    2x 256MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 DDR
    GeForce 2 GTS (Recycled from old system)
    Maxtor 10K RPM 40GB
    Lite-On 40x12x48 CDRW

* Video card will be replaced with an ASUS 9800 Pro very soon

"Stealth" CDROM:
    My goal here wasn't to hide it as much as to make it blend in with my case. I ordered some 1/8" clear acrylic rod to pass through the bay filler. It allows the light from the drive's LED to pass through. The faux eject button was made from a piece of black delrin rod. I think the activity light is a useful feature so I didn't want to lose it.

[​IMG]

Fan bus:
    I purchased a Sunbeam fan bus. Again, I wanted to make it blend in with my case. I cut off the face place and retrofitted a bay filler to it. I used the same technique as with the CDRW to get a consistent look with the LEDs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside:
    I sleeved everything in there with UV reactive sleeving. 4 nice blue UV reactive fans were added. A mirror was added to the bottom. Another subtle detail is the red acrylic faux motherboard tray I made for it.

A view of the mirror and red acrylic piece behind the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

Red lights aglow...
    [​IMG]

UV lighting...
    [​IMG]

My Office:
    My goal was to build a nice computer that would complement my office decor. I didn't really know about "case modding" at the time (not that I really modded that much). I chose the case because I liked it and it matched. It wasn't until later that I found it was considered "played out". That may be, but I still think it's a very nice case. If I had it to do all over again I would buy the same case but with no window so I could cut my own. The door latch obstructs the view and I don't like that.

[​IMG]

The lighting created two different scenes inside the case. I am still working on getting the sound activation to function like I want it to.

That's all for now :D

2. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I have the same exact case that I used in my Red Hat Mod. I made a fanbus in one of my bays too. You should look into replacing those blue LEDs with red ones, people got on my case (no pun intended) for that, and after soldering in the red ones, it looks 10x better.

3. i386

i386 What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Take a look at the pics again: They're red or blue depending on the fan speed.

4. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Sorry- my bad. It's 1am here, eyes playin' tricks on me... :D

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Nice! Am planning something similar for my Lian Li... the drive stealthing I mean. I want to use Lian Li's own alloy bezels, but they have no activity light aperture, so was planning to drill, and then insert an filed down LED instead of a light pipe like you have... the effect will be the same however. Whilst my MSI burner is seriously ugly unstealthed, it does have a gorgeous coloured LED... be a shame to loose it.

Mr G

6. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

looking good, i would suggest some cable management, like grouping them or hiding them... but besides that... it looks good

7. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

can i ask what shade of red is that

8. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

whooooooo I like the base of the case, VERY shiney :rock:

9. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

That looks awesome :D

10. sKuLLs

sKuLLs What's a Dremel?

looks awesome man. I love those cases too even if they do seem to be overused, ive always liked em. I disagree with the idea of hiding your wiring, although it would make it look cleaner. I mean why get uv reactive lights and sleeving if your not going to put it to use?

11. i386

i386 What's a Dremel?

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Why hide them when they're all glowy and colorful. But as one posted suggested maybe if I can find a neater way to group them it would look better. I've been thinking about doing that, but don't have any good ideas as of yet.

Thanks.