1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First New System in over 3 Years! Looking for a spec check and a little advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ////\oo/\\\\, 14 Aug 2008.

1. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Hi All

I'm building my first full new rig in over three years, thinking about it it could be nearer four :eyebrow: Current system is based on a 2.8Ghz Pentium D and ATI 9800 Pro on an Abit IC7-Max 3...

So this is what I'm thinking:

Asus P5E3 Premium
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Gainward GTX 280
    OCZ 2*2GB PC3-12800 Platinum 7-7-7-24
    Corsair HX 1000W (wanna go modular, and this will have more than enough power for any future upgrade)
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    Noctua NF-P12 120mm
    Vista 64bit Ultimate

Stolen from the old PC
    4*160GB HDs
    2*74GB Raptors (may ditch these in favour of one or two large samsungs)
    DVD & CD Writers
    Floppy Drive (probably ditch this)

Things I'm also considering:

Switching the Mobo and Memory to:

Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Corsair 2*2GB DDR 2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500

saves some cash, but what's the affect on performance?

Changing the case - I currently have a Lian Li PC-70 with two 80mm intakes and two 80mm outakes, I'm a little concerned about the cooling with the GTX 280, and would also quite like a full 120mm fan case, I'm open to suggestions on this one, though the Lian Li PC-A70 is tempting as I think I'd be able to re-use my side window.

PS my current power supply is Seasonic S12 600W

Looking forward to your suggestions

Thanks in advance
    Squigg

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Everything looks pretty right on, as for the mobo situation, i'd imagine the x48 would overclock a bit better. Way to make use of the 4 GB of ram with 64 bit. Should be a great pc.

3. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Thanks mansueto

I do like to try and do all my research before asking anyone....

Could I ask why you think the X48 & DDR2 combo would overclock better and give better performance than the P5E3 and DDR3 combo? I'm still on DDR1 at the mo so the intricacies of the of difference between DDR2 and DDR3 and not fully apparent to me, apart from I know DDR3 is not really running at it's full potential yet.

However as the PCU I'm planning on is FSB 1333Mhz, and the DDR2 without paying silly money only goes up to 1066, I'm unsure as to how this correlates.

One of my other reasons for leaning towards the P5E3, is the possible upgrade to 1600Mhz FSB PCUs in the future, would the Rampage allow that too?

I would like some comment on my case too, would 2*80mm intakes and outtakes stand up to today’s demands (I have Sharkoon 2000 80mm on them at the mo)? I know I could always start chopping holes in the thing, but I'm still stuck with the 80mm wine...

Last edited: 18 Aug 2008
  4. EPiRATE

EPiRATE Sailing teh Interwebz

Just on the processor note, the new intel processors are using a complete different socket so by buying a 775 socket motherboard now the best processor you'll be able to upgrade to will be the QX9775. I myself am waiting a couple of months for the new processors and x58 chipset motherboards. If you're really serious about being future proof then you might want to do the same :)

5. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Yeah, I have considered that, but look at the thing I'm using at the moment...

There is always something going to be around the corner, I've managed to get myself in the mood to buy now, and I think perhaps it may take a little while after the release of X58 and Nehalem for things to settle down, they usually do so if I put it off again, it could well end up being over 6 months before I get round to it

'tis tempting though

Last edited: 15 Aug 2008
  6. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Anyone any thoughts on my case musings?

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

bigger fans are normally better (not in all cases) You would get better performance with less noise out of 120 mm fans, or even larger, but the standard today is 120mm fans.

8. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

The button has been pushed...

Thanks to all who responded to my DDR2 Vs DDR3 thread

Final Specs are:

Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Gainward GTX 280
    OCZ 2*4GB PC-6400
    2* Samsung 750GB
    Vista Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    Noctua NF-P12

cd & dvd drives stolen from the current one, and several other shiny things

thanks for everyones help :clap:

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Better lose the Samsung HDDs from your purchase. I'm assuming you're thinking of buying the Spinpoint F1 model. There've been a lot of issues with these drives. Personally I'd never trust them with data. Go for the WD Black (or Blue) models instead.

Oh, and for the case I'd strongly consider the PC-A20 if I were you. Sadly, I don't have the space for it myself... :(

10. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

unfortunately the button has now been pushed and there probably isn't any changing it

Re: Samsungs - they will probably end up being System and Scratch Disks anyway, and also mirrored, so issues shouldn’t be to much of an issue

Re: A20 - you didn't mention this the other day! I've not seen this one before, mind you the price is a bit steep. I have the space for the big case, but not the door really (with where my printer sits) and tbh I consider doors on the front of computer cases to be completely unnecessary

11. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

i'd go for a hd4870x2 instead of the gtx. it beats it in everything and is a similar price (at least here in oz)

12. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I did wait until the 4870 X2 came out just to see, but I have a 10% off because you haven't bought anything from us for a year voucher which I've used, it made the GTX £225, the 4870 X2 would have been around £350, so it didn't really make sense, also the fact that it's crossfire with the issues that that can bring

13. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Just realised that according to the manual the Rampage Formula X48 does not support 4GB DIMMS, So I'll have to call first thing in the morning and get that changed over to 2GB DIMMS :duh:

14. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Is your screen a 30" 2560x1600 beast?

If yes, i'll need your adress, so i can come and kill you. :wallbash:
    If no, dont worry, the 280 is more then able to trow anything you need on screen.

I like the PC you assembled there, good choices all around :)

15. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Thanks, I'm happy with it apart form the minor screw up on the 4GB DIMMS, just give a call in the morning though, should be fine.

Sounds like I might have to beef up my security however ;)

16. Xtrafresh

you are gaming at 30"? pics or it didn't happen!

17. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

It'll have to arrive first, then I'll think about it :p

I currently run EVE at 1600*1200 on a 9800 Pro with no problem at all, albeit, still on the old graphics

18. Xtrafresh

EVE... a 4:3 resolution... ye olde favorite 9800 pro card...

You are using one of those hulky 23" CRT monitors, aren't you? I bet it's even a Sony!

19. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

LaCie electron22blueIV

20. Xtrafresh

i see... must be hard to give up something like that for a flatscreen :)