1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First PC build (need advice today!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by james-milligan, 13 Mar 2011.

1. james-milligan

james-milligan Minimodder

After being interested in building a computer and finding this website since about october I have done lots of research and lots of waiting for Sandybridge (and then for it to be fixed) I have pretty much decided on a build. Here we go:

Budget: around £800

Main uses of intended build: Some gaming (up to 1080p?), video editing as well as general use for everday tasks

Parts required: All but at the moment I will stick with my current monitor, keyboard and mouse

Previous build information (list details of parts): An old computer from about 2002. Not too sure on the specs but pentium 4 processor with 1gb of ram and is getting really slow

Monitor resolution: I am planning to get a 1080p capable monitor that is about 22" but i need to do more research into this

Storage requirements: 1tb internal but will most likely be getting a second 1tb F3 drive and hopefully putting it in an external case with eSATA capability (although I'm not too sure about how to do this)

Will you be overclocking: yes (hopefully at some point)

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): I am looking at getting the P8P67 pro and I would like to know how to connect the eSATA ports on the front of a computer case (i will most likely be getting the xigmatek utgard). Do the internal SATA headers connect to the eSATA port? and also there are 4 usb 2.0 ports on the front of this case but 3xUSB 2.0 headers and 1xUSB 3.0 header on the motherboard. Can you connect the 3.0 header to the 2.0 port? if not does this mean one of the ports will be useless with this motherboard?

Extra information about desired system: I would like it to be pretty quiet. Here is what i have come up with on scan:
    [​IMG]

Will this all fit together fine? Will i need to purchase any extra cables or other things to get the computer up and running?

I need answers today because a lot of the stuff is on Today Only deals with scan and there is quite a big saving compared to the normal prices of the items.

Thanks!

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Looks great. A decent build, but you have no RAM in that list.

Add 2x2GB of Corsair DDR3 1600 for about £38 and you're done

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Why is the 2500K so expensive?
    Edit: Ah that's with 8gb of ram aswell.

I would go with the Gigabyte UD4 as I have had alot of problems with my Asus board.

What a great build.
    It has move so far since even this time last year.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2011
    Nealieboyee likes this.
  4. Kakeshoma

Kakeshoma What's a Dremel?

Looks to me like the CPU is a bundle with CPU and RAM?
    Looks good.

5. Nealieboyee

Well spotted mate. I think Murraynt and I are blind. Probably got stabbed in the eyes last night hey Murray :D

6. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I might of of been the repair tool to the face either :dremel: :lol:

7. Nealieboyee

LMAO...good times sigh

8. james-milligan

Thanks guys! Any ideas on the USB/eSATA questions? And will this system be quiet? Also bit-tech said to wait a few weeks until the new boards have been tested but surely they should be perfectly fine? They can't mess up again surely...

9. Nealieboyee

Don't speak too soon lol!
    As for the USB/eSATA, you should be fine with the esata. I believe it connects to 1 sata port.

Plug the usb 3.0 header into the usb 2.0 port.

10. james-milligan

haha yer it's possible they have failed a second time! And ok thanks :)

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Thats Pc will be pretty quite although if you want it Quiter look at the fractal R3/r2.

The fixed boards are called B3 revision or Rev3 so that board should be fine
    Asus P8P67 ProRev3Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard

To answer one of you first questions.
    you can not use a usb 2.0 connection with a USB 2.0 header or visa versa.
    Although the Asus board has both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 headers.

[​IMG]
    USB 3.0

[​IMG]
    USB 2.0

I believe you can only use E-sata with Vista or 7 but that won't effect you.

I use USB 3.0 with my 1TB F1 and I get great read/write speeds.
    The best thing is that I can get 3.0 speeds on my PC but then come along to any other PC with 2.0 USB and it still works great.

It's great for back up but don't expect to play games or anything off it as it's not the same as E-Sata.
    Sata is designed for low CPU usage and to minimize delay giving better random access etc.

USBis the opposite. It has heavier CPU usage and is designed for back up and just transferring files.

12. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I know all about it :thumb:
    And my frien.
    Alot of theeding problems with SB. :waah:

13. james-milligan

Do you mean with a USB 3.0 header?
    And thanks thats really helpful. Could you recommend an external case to store my second F3 drive in?

14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

15. james-milligan

Ok cool. Thanks for all your help! :)

16. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

I have that case and I'm 99% sure that the 4 USB ports plug into two headers so you should not need the USB 3.0 headers. If you want me to check in the case I can.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Personally I would go for the Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced case over the Xigmatek.

Great case to work with and can be picked up from scan here.

18. james-milligan

Thanks! And you don't need to worry about checking. I think 99% sure is pretty good! :thumb:

19. james-milligan

Thanks for your advice but I have had my eye on the Utgard for a while and seems as I am ordering everything today I think I might stick with my choice. They both seem pretty comparable cases but my personal preference is the Utgard. Thanks though!

20. james-milligan

Can anyone quickly tell me if the vengeance RAM and the Gelid Tranquillo will clash on the P8P67 pro? I have heard they might and that the 2nd and 4th slots should be used. If so does this make any difference to performance or anything else as opposed to using slots 1 and 3?