1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress First Scratch ITX & Desk Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Matt Whittingham, 9 Feb 2021.

1. Age

Age Minimodder

Those latest top covers you have designed look fantastic. I'd go with those as well. The previous ones were a bit meh in my opinion!

2. Matt Whittingham

Matt Whittingham wassupdoc

Thank you sir!

Ahh thanks! Yeah I think they're so much better too!

I'm definitely gonna change the motherboard fan assembly though, not feeling it at all!

For those who were wondering how things fit together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's *just* enough room with the EK FLT 240 D5 combo! I'm currently designing a bracket to mount the res/pump to the case, and also hold the PSU off the back :) Stay tuned!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:thumb: Louvers are always the correct option.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  4. Matt Whittingham

Certainly looks that way!

I think I've managed to remove the coffee machine-ness? :hehe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kim

kim hardware addict

Really beautiful case design, but much better with the louvers... IMO:thumb:

6. Cheapskate

:lol: Oh, God. I see the coffee machine now.

7. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I thought about the coffee machine since the first 3D concept :hehe:, don't get me wrong Matt, I like where this project is going :thumb:, it is the base fan with the frame that gives that idea.

8. Matt Whittingham

Thank you! :)

[​IMG]

Cheers! Yeah it's so difficult to shift that frame of mind haha, I've been playing around for days trying to get a non-restrictive grille design that doesn't look like a drip tray :lol:
    On one hand I want the airflow across the VRMs... on the other hand I don't like this fan :worried:

Lack of updates for a week unfortunately, been helping my grandmother move house :happy:

9. Matt Whittingham

So I've ditched the fan grille, louvers to the rescue!
    I've also started modelling the wire paths :D Here's a quick canvas render:
    [​IMG]

Question - is there any reason this loop wouldn't work? All of my previous WC'd builds have been pretty standard layout!
    [​IMG]

Parts now ordered:
    • EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 240 DDC PWM D-RGB - Plexi
    • EK-CryoFuel
    • EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - AMD Nickel + Acetal
    • EK-CoolStream SE 240
    • Noctua Redux NF-P12 *3 - Also ordered grey anti-vibration corners, annoyingly only 16 in stock so I'll have to wait for more stock.
    • Bykski 3070 waterblock for the MSI Ventus 3X
    • Various black Barrow hardline fittings
    Undecided on PETG vs Acrylic tubing - I'll do some more research!

10. Cheapskate

I can see that bypassing the GPU and toasting it. The placement of the manifold fittings is unusable, too.
    Seating the entire case on a custom manifold is an option. :naughty:

11. Matt Whittingham

Yep, you're completely right now I look at it! I'd had a long day at battle with this monster 3D-printer! :wallbash:
    [​IMG]
    I've had to start completely from scratch with it, coding and designing new parts for it, as it was totally unusable! After 2 months with it, finally got the first useable 3D-print out of it! If you're a fan of Joel the 3D printing nerd on YouTube, this is the bigger (1.5x1 meter) version of his troublesome machine.

Small update, there's really nothing like a good Noctua :p:
    [​IMG]

The colour match between the MDPC-X platinum grey sleeve and the redux & Chromax grey is just *chef's kiss*
    [​IMG]

Toru, Karrek and dan297 like this.
  12. Matt Whittingham

So, just because I've not got enough projects on the go (not) - I've decided to make this a scratch PC and Desk build log!

I've just recently moved into a new place in the city and space is at a premium, this is what I've got to work with, chair shoved in for testing a seated position:
    [​IMG]

And this is what I've whipped up in Fusion 360 tonight! I'll start to make it next week out of oak, see the Razer desk mat and drawers for scale (or the Jaffa cakes!):
    [​IMG]

I've edge-lit it with a channel routed into the back and right edges, and I've got some really nice daylight white LEDs left over from my 3D-printer cabinet build that'll do the job nicely :)

Also Friday was tax rebate day (Yay C19 emergency tax codes for new starters am I right? :wallbash:)
    So on the way from Barrow is:
    • ARGB Strips *2
    • ARGB/Fan Controller - literally no idea if this will work as the description is super vague, but it's worth a risk at 8 quid!
    • Coolant temp sensor - this will go into the unused outlet port on the EK FLT240
    • 16mm PETG hard tubing - ordered way too much because I'm a moron and will mess up a lot of bends
    • Bending radius guides
    • RTX3070 Ventus 3X waterblock
    • Exhaust port - not seen or used these before, but looks like it'll be really handy for bleeding the loop without having to leave a port open
    • 16mm triple O-ring fittings in black
    • 90 degree rotary fittings FBWT-MR- really snazzy looking these ones IMO
    • Silicone rod thingy for bending tubes
    • Plenty of spare G1/4 plugs
    • Tube cutter
    • Tube end finisher
    • A few pass-through fittings just in case
    • CNC heatsink for the EK DDC pump

13. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Desk:
    Unless limited by material length, I'd shift the drawers 6" so that they are not partial covering the outlet.
    Your desk legs appear t require to drill a hole in your radiator. Or will the how unit shift out past the radiator (if yes that might address my first point)?
    What's the box next to the laptop?

Printer:
    Is that a custom design/made printer?

Case:
    Design looks great. I agree with Cheaps, you'll want to give your self more space for pluming.

14. Matt Whittingham

Aye, there's room to move it over a bit :) The tape measure is the length of the desk I've designed, should have moved it over a little for the picture!
    The legs are offset enough to clear the heater - The positions are pretty flexible too so I could just screw them in further over if needs be!

That's a pickup winding machine I'm making at the moment, again designed it all in Fusion - I'm a musician and trying to bring a friend's guitar company some smart tech to make pickups with, it'll have auto-counting, traversing etc etc - as plug and play as it could be essentially :)

It's a 3D Platform Workbench 400 Xtreme - it's basically a CNC table with two (tiny imo) hotends stuck on. the mechanics are incredible but the stock firmware is garbage, plus the setup on the machine was very sub-optimal; For example Mesh Bed Levelling wasn't enabled or even possible as they'd set the probe servo too high in the printhead to even touch the bed - something that's essential on a glass sheet that's 1500*1000mm, especially when it's 70C or so, bumpy!

The fittings have more room than it looks I think - I'll try to illustrate it on a screenshot :)
    [​IMG]

There's approximately 31mm of perpendicular distance between the fitting start and the gpu block - but as these are just placeholder parts I won't know how big this gap needs to be until they arrive :) The whole project is parametric so I can very easily add length to sides etc. if I need to! Hopefully my EK order and Barrow fittings arrive fairly close to each other so I can get these dimensions nailed and the case off to manufacture!

15. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

It certainly is a lovely design - were you inspired by those all-in-one Bose units? I'm kinda reminded of them here!