1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor First Shuttle | need advice on config

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greywolf, 17 Dec 2004.

1. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

I'm starting to get the components for my next mod, and it's going to be a shuttle based project. This one is for my youngest daughter and she has modest requirements, surfing, schoolwork and at most SIM2 for games. Also, I want her to be able to watch TV on her computer.

Here is the list:

SHUTTLE SK43G VIA KM400 CHIPSET AMD ATHLON XP BARE SYSTEM.

AMD XP 3000+(333Mhz)

512MB DDR333

ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 128MB AGP 4X/8X

SEAGATE SERIAL ATA 150 80GB

Panasonic CW-8123-B Slimline Slot Loading CD-RW / DVD

Total cost is $760US.

Before I plunk down that much, i'd love to get your advice on wether I'm making a Shuttle Noob mistake with the components.

• Will it be able to handle the All-In-Wonder (it doesn't need anything more than the 1.5...right)?

• How much difference performance wise between the AMD XP 3000 and say the 2800 or 2500, because there is definitely a diff in cost.

• Cooling concerns, the heat pipe cooling for the CPU looks fine, but I'm worried about the additional heat from the Graphics card. Most particularly because my design eliminates all side vents. Do you think a couple of 40's from the top will help compensate?

• I think this one comes with the 200W PSU, do I have enough juice to run a few additional fans, 50 or so LED's and perhaps an air pump?

Thanks for any responses!
    Looking for "comfort" zone before I plop down the cash!

2. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

I wouldn't be worried about cooling at all really.

I have a Shuttle with a 9800 Pro with the fan undervolted, the NB HSF replaced with a Zalman passive cooler and the main 80mm fan replaced with a very low speed. On top of that the case has been sound insulated which also ups the temp slightly.

The system is overclocked (see sig) and even put through the most stressful tests has no stability problems at all.

If you want her to watch TV on it she isn't gonna want to sit next to a hurricane.

The only other thing I would question would be the slimline drive, why? Surely it's more expensive, more hassle to fit and look a little odd.

3. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I would have to ask about the slimline drive too, hopefully you'll post a thread about it when your done :)

Slimlines are more expensive and generally slower, wouldn't it be better to have a nice fast regular sized optical drive? Just my 2p.

4. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

The slimline.

Well I wanted a slot loader. I can't find any "normal" sized Pioneer's around to buy. Plus, it being a combo drive is a big plus...she can burn CD's.

I want a very clean case, much like Zap's Hello Kitty case, and a slot loader is the way to go for my concept.

Cooling.
    So, don't drop any 40's in the top, perhaps vent it up to let air in (to replace the side vents). That easy?

Yea, I'm planning on a project log, after I get the stuff and of course once I finish my current project. Got some "proof-of-concept" stuff to do first as well.

Thanks for your responses! Any other suggestions out there?

Tags: