1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics First SLI rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamg64, 12 Oct 2011.

1. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

Looking to add a second GTX 460 to my rig to run my first SLI setup.

However the current card i am unable to buy the exact one i think its been discontinued there is an alternative availible but the model/manufactor code is slightly different.

current card - Mfr#: GV-N460OC2-1GI
    http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-460-1gb-pci-express-hdmi-overclocked-7BN7.html

card availible - Mfr#: GV-N460OC-1GI
    http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...gb-pci-e-hdmi-overclocked-73H1.html?q=gtx 460

as you can see there is just slight differences on the codes would this matter or cause conflicts?

any tips/advice for running an SLI setup?

hope you can help

kind regards ADs.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have this card and mine overclocks to 810MHz stable. The current card you have is clocked below this so I would hope the GV-N460OC-1GI would work well for you in SLI but it would be necessary to overclock it to match your current card! I would recommend using MSI Afterburner to raise the core clocks, works a treat for me! :thumb:

3. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the speedy reply, i will look at placing an order in the week or so get it running smootly before the release of BF3.

Just hope it makes a good bit of difference and extra FPS in BF3 i ran the beta at full detail on 1650x1050 and it was ok but could notice it struggling from time to time.#

But i would like to also add a FULL HD monitor too and run at 1920x1080 on full too.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I actually lowered the resolution of my U2711 to try it at those resolutions and my GTX 460 SLI worked really well on high settings. That's with an overclock of 810MHz on the core with shaders linked, didn't touch the memory although you might need to do this in your case to have parity between the two GTX 460.

Also just checking, your PSU up to the job?

5. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

I have a 900w/950w hiper modular psu im sure it should be up to the task?

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Not the best make, Hiper, but I would have thought it would be ok.

7. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I would recommend you download the most recent drivers from Nvidia and also install Drive Sweeper. Then disconnect your ethernet cable to stop Windows downloading anything else to substitute the proper drivers! Uninstall the old Nvidia drivers, restart, run Drive Sweeper and remove anyhing left over for Nvidia Display and Physx Drivers. DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING RELATED TO MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS THOUGH! It is an Nvidia board after all. Then once that's all cleared double check nothing is left for Nvidia Diaply in the control panel. Restart and install the most recent drivers but tick the box for 'clean install'.

Of course you need both cards installed properly with the SLI bridge in place. After the software is installed just right click on the screen and check Nvidia Control Panel to see if SLI is enabled.

9. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

many thanks for your speedy and thorough response!

well i will give it a try later hopefully get back with some good news :)

p.s. also i have a couple of other questions regards further minor upgrades which i would also like your great input so i will post them later hope you can help with them also.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

No problem. Also use MSI Afterburner to check that both cards are happily ticking away! Once you read some more on the subject I'd recommend playing around with MSI Afterburner to achieve a good stable overclock between the two cards. Although it's always best to be cautious when doing this and carefully monitor both cards temperatures and stability all the while.

11. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

ok HELP!!

Just cannot find my SLI Bridge :(

are they mobo specific?

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

You need a bridge that will 'bridge' the gap and connect the two cards!

If it's rigid make sure it'll cross the gap. You can also get a flexible bridge but again it needs to reach both cards! I suspect ebay is the easiest and lazy way to get an SLI bridge delivered to your door.

Here's an example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nvidia-fl...raphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item4aa89bbedb

Probably way to long for you but just get a ruler and measure the gap yourself. What motherboard have you got anyway?

13. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

MSI P7N SLI Platinum.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Purely based on looking at a picture of that board a flexible 8cm SLI bridge should be okay but please measure the distance yourself with both cards installed, just to be on the safe side.

15. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

Bridged ordered and fingers cross should be with me today.

Well the other things i wanted to ask was that at the moment i am running things ok bf3 beta ran smooth but i am trying to up things and by adding a new monitor run it in 1080p.

I am running a q6600 overclocked which i feel is still a good cpu, but i am thinking of upgraded a few more things i am using the ever hungry VISTA 64bit premium i was thinking of changing to windows 7 and changing my 4x1GIG DDR2 400mhz to 4X2Gig (8GB) DDR2 800mhz.

would i see a greater performance increase?

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

In order I would do....

1) Windows 7
    2) Overclock Q6600 (Better CPU cooler if required and faster RAM = better overclock)

It might be a good idea to get some cooling on that Northbridge, maybe an Antec Spot Cool.

17. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

ok new ram and windows 7 be on order today need it ready and running stable by the time BF3 is live :)

Windows 7 professional or Ultimate?

I can get Ultimate for an extra 18quid.

18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Do you need the language packs that Ultimate offers? If not go for Pro. Or save some money and get Home unless you need more than 16GB RAM and enjoy using or need some of the networking stuff that Pro has that Home doesn't.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Windows 7 Home Premium is good enough.

20. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

ok windows 7 pro has been ordered, now doing some digging my ram is actually 2 x OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 240-Pin XTC 800MHz 2GB RAM Kit. (4x1gb)

I originally thought it was 400mhz, thing being i bought that from a friend and not from a store now that being said i would'nt be gaining any extra speed by upgrading just doubling my ram.

that being said it would only cost me around 40 quid to upgrade as i could sell my old for around 35-40 quid on fleabay.

still worth the investment?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2794&Itemid=99