Build Advice First time build, help begged for!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wascloud, 1 Nov 2009.

1. wascloud

wascloud What's a Dremel?

hi everyone,
    recently i decided that i needed a new desktop, as currently i only have a laptop which is great for taking into university, but is really too small to game on. I then decided that instead of being sensible and buying a ready built pc, id have a crack at making one myself. It is to this end that i require your expert opinion!
    so far i've got a list of components i think might work together, and i was wondering if someone could point out any compatibility issues or glaring errors in my list, so here goes:

case: antec nine hundred two
    motherboard: biostar TPower 145
    CPU: intel core 2 duo e8400
    ram: OCZ PC2-8500 reaper edition (2GB)
    Cooling: titan fenrir
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5850
    PSU: Be Quiet! dark power pro 650W
    Hard Disk: Seaget Barracuda 7200.12
    Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor: Samsung SM2233bw

Im looking for an upper middle range gaming pc thats reasonably future proof,
    cheers!
    wascloud

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Wrong section, should of posted this under Hardware. I suppose some lovely moderator will move it, though.

Socket 775 is dead, wouldn't recommend building a new system based on it. Go either AM3 or LGA1156 instead. Also 2 GB of memory doesn't cut it.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2010
  3. wascloud

so that would be this instead?:
    Asrock motherboard M3A785GMH/128M Socket AM3 DDR3 mATX
    I'll also upgrade to 4gb of memory, is this sufficient?
    also apologies for posting it in the wrong section, although i was hoping to keep a log of my progress when i start, so i can get some hints as i go along
    cheers
    wascloud

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

You also didn't specify the price range. And to start a project log you already must have something done, and building a setup isn't a case mod project...

Anyway; I'd go straight for the big one:
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    Phenom 2 965BE
    4 or 8 GB ram.

Also I'd swap the Seagate for a F3 Samsung, those things are darn fast.

s1n1s likes this.
  5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Just in case you're not aux fais with all the options, I think Jipa meant LGA 1156 (for i5 750 /i7 870 type chips). 1156 is all the rage, I've bought one this evening :rock:

Last edited: 1 Nov 2009
  6. trig

trig god's little mistake

unless you're an AMD fanboy, no reason to go AM3 at the moment unless you can't quite afford an i5-750, in which case you probably can't afford a 945/955/965 quad either...maybe go 550 be or 720 be with a nice am3 asus mobo and 2x2gb sticks of ram. definitely go f3 as jipa said they are fast. if you can afford the i5-750 or i7-920, fo that route...

7. wascloud

ok thanks very much for your help guys, im going to try and be a bit more useful now!
    im looking to spend between £600-£700 not including the monitor. I am as ive said completely new to this, is it at all possible for someone to put up an improved list for me?
    cheers!
    wascloud

8. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

I believe your spec is fine for a decent gaming rig. Its going to cost a fair bit more to go i5. Socket 775 is still more than competent, the guys here are upgrade crazy.

Only problem is DDR2 prices have rocketed but DDR3 is more expensive in the first place. All memory is expensive at the moment. LGA775 boards are cheaper & the core 2's have dropped in price, if someone can cost an i5 CPU & an LGA1156 mobo cheaper than the i45 E8400 combo then I stand corrected.

I think someone could suggest a better HDD as well maybe.

9. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Whist the Core i5 750 is certainly superior to a Phenom II, (the Core i5 at 2.66GHz has similar performance to a Phenom II X4 965 at 3.4GHz) I would hesitate to write the Phenom II off.

For a £600 to £700 budget a Phenom II X4 955 or a Phenom X3 720 gives solid performance and allows more to be spent on the graphics card which gives the best payoff as far as performance goes.

10. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

well, this isnt an upgrade, so advising someone to go into a dead socket when he can go am3 triple core is...not good advice...

and i know things don't translate the same across the ocean, but it usualy fits to scale, and here you can get ddr3 1600 ram cheaper than ddr2 1066 ram, by about $20. the e8400 saves you $30 over the i5-750, but you are talking massive performance gain, and $30 is lunch a couple times a week. boards are pretty even, i can find 3-4 boards i would buy on the 1156 socket that cost the same as boards i would settle for on the 775 socket.

so not sure what a "fair bit more" means to you, but for $10-20, one or two lunches brown baggin it, it's more than doable/worth it.

and as far as a better harddrive, no, there really isnt one. f3 is it right now...wd blacks are awesome (though not as fast as the f3 but quieter) and better warranty if i remember correctly, but you pay more...

Last edited: 2 Nov 2009
  12. Tesla effect

Well the mobo combo suggested by Kyocera was about £280. A P45 with an E8400 would be £220. One thing to note is that Scan don't seem to stock the P45 Biostars anymore, I guess they've stopped making them?

Would the LGA1156 & i5 suggested be better for gaming than the E8400 <edit>, I doubt it? The OP was after a HD 5850 so there's £60 on top of the 260 price towards that.

Who said a 'far' better HD? why do think I couldn't be arsed suggesting one myself. If the WD or the Samsung are not better then tell the OP stick with the Seagate.

13. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

If I was you I would at least wait for nvidia to release their new cards which will most likely cause ati cards to price drop to remain competitive also I agree you can't really get any better HDD than the samsung spinpoint F3, either intel's 1156 socket or amd's am3 socket both have ups and downs but if you want the most for your money your gonna want something that can be improved on over the course of time so I would recommend not getting a LGA 775

14. Tesla effect

4GB DDR2 XMS 2 would do the job nicely at £80. I believe you can get 4GB DDR3 XMS for about the same price so no saving on the RAM its even.

Maybe the OP would prefer to save a few quid short term get the same gaming performance & not worry about upgrades?

If the LGA boards are so cheap then when a CPU that really out performs the e8400 in games hits the scene you could bag both a new mobo & a CPU & upgrade that way.

Are you suggesting that the OP should forfit lunch for a week in order to reach the starry heights of LGA1156, how absurd?

15. Kyocera

1. a motherboard is the most important part of the PC.
    a good 775 (P45) motherboard is some 110GBP; with DDR3 support. (DDR2 version is not cheaper). E8400 is another 120GBP; a much better choice is E7400 for 82GBP; the performance is the same and it overclocks greatly.

2.yes P55 performs quite better in gaming;
    the price of the 5850 is overpriced; heavily; some 80GBP too much. And it probably won't go down till March next year.

3. F3 samsung is excellent; Seagate 7200.12 is for those that do not like buying HDD from a company that makes microwaves.

PureSilver likes this.
  16. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I see things have moved on a bit since I posted this afternoon.

Anyway here are my thoughts on what can be done using a Phenom II. At his stage I am using approximate figures to get a feel for budget.

Case

Always a difficult one to recommend as it is as much about personal taste as about functionality. Here are my thoughts:
    Lancool K62 / Coolermaster HAF 922 / Lian Li PC-60FW - approx £80 to 100
    Or if you wanted to stick to the budget Silverstone PS02 Precision / Antec 300 – Approx £40

PSU

500W Enermax Eco80+ / Corsair VX550 – Approx £60

CPU

Phenom II X4 955 – Approx £130

Motherboard

AMD 790X based Asus/Gigabyte – approximately £100
    It doesn’t have the same PCI-E bandwidth as the 790FX but that really only matters if you are running two graphics cards at very high resolutions.
    (Another option to save a bit of cash would be an AMD 770 based motherboard – approx £70)

Memory

4GB Corsair DDR3 (1333/1600) – approx £80

Graphics

ATI Radeon 5850 – Approx £220
    Yes it is over-priced and no-one knows how well DX11 will perform but even on DX9/10 games it is a great card. If you can wait a few months until Nvidia come to the party I expect you will get a much better deal.

Hard Drive

1TB Samsung F3 approx £60
    Cos it seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment

Optical Drive

Samsung SH-S223L approx £20
    Why? Lightscribe is a great gadget

This lot comes in at £710 or up to £770 if you want a fancy case. Of course for another £50 you could have it all and get a Core i5.

17. Tesla effect

**** & the RAM :idea:, maybe you all have a point but I'm trying to balance the argument. But on performance merits alone 775 is still worth it. If for example the change impacted on the GPU compatibility like the change from AGP to the PCIE then no question.

Also the antec 300, do you have to buys extra fans for it? The Corsair TX range is a bit crap isn't it, superseded by a better range...? Dude prob needs a CD ROM too it all adds up. He wants a sound card too! So if he wants the extras then sacrifices need to be made.

18. Kyocera

you're running ahead of yourself; the guy did not give any price bracket!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Tesla effect

Agreed

I doubt very much a P55 + 260 will outperform a P45 + 5850. Its better than the 260 isn't it? Obviously for better gaming the GPU is the most important hardware.

Yes, that's what I was saying :read:

20. Tesla effect

He said £600 to £700 didn't he?