1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First time build, switch on=Legacy boot event?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alfabet0, 1 Jan 2013.

1. alfabet0

alfabet0 New Member

You've heard this story all before folks it goes.

It's my first time build, all looks good, I boot up my PC for the first time, I get the republic of gamers splash screen Samsung 830 detected and then the following:

Q-Code LEDs read AE for Legacy boot event

I've tried to enter the BIOS but simply keep getting the above, my Samsung 830 SSD is currently in a serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connector, I've tried moving to the Serial ATA 6.0 to no effect.

Please forgive any stupidity on my part, as I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment:duh:
    Thanks for your indulgence.

2. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Active Member

Sounds like it's trying to boot from a HDD without an OS or a DVD drive without an OS disc. Moving the SSD to a different sata port won't make any difference if something else is higher up the boot priority list, the BIOS will remember that regardless. Go into the BIOS and check the boot order - my guess is something else is above the SSD

3. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

i remember him saying he cant even get into the bios... maybe try usb flashing the bios?

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

How have you tried getting to BIOS? If you're still getting the boot error I would guess you haven't pressed F2/DEL early enough to get into BIOS. That would be my guess at first :)

alfabet0 likes this.
  5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Try unplugging everything. graphics card, ssd, dvd drive etc. leave the cpu and ram in. Use the integrated graphics on the cpu for the display. Pound the delete key or whatever it is gets you into the bios repeatedly and quickly as you turn on the power. See if that gets you anywhere.

6. alfabet0

alfabet0 New Member

Thank you all for the info & time, need a little time to implement, will post back once done :)

7. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

New build. So no operating system?

Ie no drive formated for boot?

Have you tried booting to your install media (dvd/usb)?

You can mash the F8 key (on boot) to bring up the disc boot menu and select your install media.

If there is no OS then no Uefi bios table and matching disc so no secure boot and legacy boot would be the fallback mode but without an mbr that would fail to.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

alfabet0 likes this.
  8. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

A lot of ASUS boards used to default to the DVD drive, so you can slot your motherboard driver CD in there and let it auto-reset the BIOS.

Tap up Bindi, I'm sure he'll have more info.

9. alfabet0

alfabet0 New Member

I've re-connected the Samsung SSD with a windows installation disk, an everything looks OK at the moment, should I just procede with the installation?
    Q-Code LEDs read A0 for IDE initialization is stated

I've spent so much time researching the hardware side of things, I haven't taken the time to learn what do do in the event everything did't blow up in my face:D
    Assuming I'm good to go should should I reformat the Samsung drive before installation?

Thought I should add I'm feeling more than a little stupid for having taken up all you'r time, on such a Newbie ERROR which my motherboard does not have a Q-Code for.

(Check below for latest post, not all is well :( )

Last edited: 2 Jan 2013
  10. aramil

No problem. We have all been there.

For windows 8/7 boot via F8 and select Uefi boot on the cdrom.

Then just select the ssd when asked in install and format it.

If you dont want secure/fastboot

Then boot normally and install.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Enable AHCI in bios for the sata controller.

12. alfabet0

alfabet0 New Member

I might have spoken a little to soon tried to enter BIOS again but it went to my external Disk drive Windows boot menu on exiting that the screen went back to:
    I can simply restart the PC and install windows, but for some reason BIOS is off limits.

It might down to the fact that I'm using a wireless Logitech keyboard, which do tend have a few miss marked key's on them, it's meant to be DELETE key on start up for BIOS or Alt+Ctrl+DELETE but no love it just restarts the PC.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Stupid question, but are you sure the relevant function/delete key on your keyboard is working? Stranger things have happened...

14. Rapp

Rapp Member

I think that this will be your problem, it may not detect the wireless keyboard until after the machine has tried to boot. Plug in a USB keyboard and press delete I think it will then go stright into the bios.

15. alfabet0

alfabet0 New Member

It's new, but I'm not 100% it good, at the moment I've no second USB keyboard to try it out on.
    Might just have to order a new wired keyboard for the job, the prices in town are all full RRP.

I'll need to start a new thread when my new keyboard arrives.
    Thank you all again, the amount & speed of all feedback from Bit-tech users is just phenomenal :thumb:

16. aramil

I have the same issue with an asus z77 and a wireless keyboard. Asus says it is to do with the speed at which the bios finishes.

Ie. The bios has done its job before the keyboard has fully connected. Their advice was a usb KB......

Not sure if the MB cdrom menu has a boot to bios option. Might be worth a look as it is in the windows bios tool set. (Asusboot)

17. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Lesson learned.

Wireless keyboards are AIDS for getting into BIOS with :)

alfabet0 likes this.
  18. alfabet0

alfabet0 New Member

I got the BIOS to work!!! tried toggling between F12 AND Delete, now Delete works provided I just keep pressing it like a mad man on boot up.

Going to revisit the earlier posts on BIOS solutions, Yay :) :D..................................

There's a disable legacy boot option in BIOS should I touch it?
    if that was the correct term I'm having to move this rubbish key board from one PC to another.

19. aramil

Make sure your sata controller is set to AHCI.

No need to disable legacy as long as you can select Uefi-(boot device) from the boot selection menu. If not then dissable it and try again. If you want secure/fastboot on win7/8.

20. alfabet0

alfabet0 New Member

I'm in BIOS:
    Advanced-SATA Configuration
    It's already set to AHCI
    Where do I go from here?
    I hope I needn't to do the following:
    (Just took a look at the motherboard Q LEDs labeled problems BOOT_ DEVICE LED has light up, it was off before but now, do I have a dead SSD on my hands?)