1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM First try at POTM (March 2008)

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by gvblake22, 21 Mar 2008.

1. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

This is my first shot at this, so go easy on me. :p
    Shot these tonight with my Olympus C740-UZ. What do you guys think? Which one is worthy of POTM? Or both? Or neither?

"Small Town, USA"
    [​IMG]

"Lonely Swing"
    [​IMG]

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love the first one - there's nothing very special about the picture itself (don't think that's an insult), but it really conveys a quiet, sleepy town. Great shot. :D

3. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Thanks Krikkit! I wish I could have gotten it a big bigger, but that's the best my old 3.2 megapixel camera can do! :wallbash:

4. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I like the idea of the first one, but it seems the cars take out some of that small town feel.

5. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yeah, maybe I'll try and go back early in the morning when there isn't likely to be any cars. Still not too much traffic for 9:00 at night though :thumb:

6. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

I think the first shot is great, specially with that sepia-like tone, dunno why but it reminds me of xmas... still, if those cars weren't there for the shot, it would be perfect for my taste...

ps: ooooops, sorry, i just saw the "cars" aspect was already commented on... which means i don't process data anymore... it's late over this side of the world and I probably should be going to bed... and say good morning to all of ya who are about to wake up soon for work over the UK!! :)

7. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Very nice. I quite like them both.
    I think perhaps the framing of both could be improved a little. Perhaps a slightly wider shot of the swing as I think it's almost being squeezed right now. Light and shadows work good. With the town I'm a little in doubt... firstly I think the IQ is "not good" and almost looks like it was shot with a camera phone (I'm guessing it's cropped at 100% zoom on the original jpg?) And the outer light pole on the right somehow disturbs me. Otherwise I completely agree that it's a well conveyed portrait of sleepytown and that it would probably benefit from not having the cars there.

Two very worthy debut shots for POTM if you ask me.

8. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yes, the first picture is a 100% crop but was not taken with a cell phone. I have one camera and it's only 3.2MP so I don't have a lot of pixels to work with :sigh:
    I'll see if I can fix up the second picture a bit and do something that isn't as close...

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I really like the second one. The first one is just a tad too...well, I think OleJ hit it on the head. Often, beginners think the camera is their limiting factor, when in reality they are. Here, it's obvious the camera IS a definite factor.

You do have a pretty good eye for composition, and the second shot really shows that. The B&W really heps add to the overall feel, and it feels cold and empty and forgotten. Winter's here - snow, night, an empty and abandoned swing.

Tags: