1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fit for work assessment?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by satisfiedwimp, 27 Jan 2021.

1. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp What's a Dremel?

I am in need of help. I have been having panic attacks at work recently. Today my HR department has asked me to have my GP fill out a fit for work assessment. It has particular questions that basically ask if I am able to do my job. This frightens me as I think it means that my employer is trying to fire me. Has anyone ever had to have one of these filled out? What did you do? What happened?

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If someone has been off sick for four weeks it is standard practice to do that assessment.

Basically it boils down to working out the options (remain off sick, return to work, phased return to work, implementing extra support measures in case of disability, having a look at the financial mess between regular sick pay, SSP and ESA, potentially hiring a temp to cover the work while moving the employee to a formal long term sickness status etc).

A firing however has no place in that process (unless they believe the reason for the absence to be false and if that was the case you would definitely have the right to appeal that).

So there is no reason to fear the assessment.

satisfiedwimp, Big Elf and adidan like this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Staff

It's often more a tool used to find ways to get you back to work; workstation changes, changes to role and responsibilities, working hours etc. It will also make sure that you've seen your doctor about the problem so you're getting the help you need.

There will only be a cause for dismissal after about 6 months or so of absence with no sign of a return and there's a long winded formal procedure for them to go through first. So don't worry about that, just concentrate on yourself and make sure to take any help you can. A lot of workplaces have some sort of counseling schemes that might be able to help you.

satisfiedwimp and adidan like this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Rotary Cat.

With any luck your GP will arrange for you to go to your local mental health unit for a proper assessment. At the very least, that may lead to you getting to the bottom of the reasons for your problems and that does help. It did help me.

satisfiedwimp likes this.
  5. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp What's a Dremel?

Thank you all for your response. I really appreciate it!
    @Mr_Mistoffelees Thay might be my case. Though I’m still baffled as to why I am being asked for this form as I have not been off work, I admit I'm having bouts of mental issues recently though. I'll update you guys on this thanks.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Please do update us, hope it goes well and you get some help with the panic attacks.

7. loftie

loftie Modder

As a counter to this, my experience boiled down to "to be able to do the things that panic you, you need to do the things that panic you. There are no lions chasing you."

It didn't help, so YMMV. I'd also suggest checking out Mind.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I don't want to be a party pooper... but be prepared for things to move very slowly if the GP refers you to Mental Health Services.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Having been down this road before, MHS takes ages sadly.

Having this done enables my employer to give me extra sickness entitlement for my current conditions that will affect me for the rest of my life

It is also a document that can be given to any change of manager that explains everything without me having to go word for word

I found all this extremely helpful if a little slow to get started

Mr_Mistoffelees and loftie like this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Definitely.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Also, panic attacks take many different forms. When I get one I go quiet, my eyes close, I freeze, I can't communicate and often have tears in my eyes. Fortunately, doesn't happen often.

12. loftie

loftie Modder

I didn't know this. I go quiet, but that's nothing out of the ordinary for me tbh as I generally am. For me i'll be either trying to find an escape or trying to convince myself everything is fine, the latter amusingly is always counterproductive.